[Proposal] LV2 for VST2 developers guide

Programming applications for making music on Linux.

Moderators: MattKingUSA, khz

sjaehn
Established Member

Re: [Proposal] LV2 for VST2 developers guide

Post by sjaehn »

Basslint wrote:I think DPF is very good (and so is Dplug), however using straight LV2 can be very useful. LVTK offers a nice C++ wrapper around LV2.
There are strong arguments to use native C for LV2 programming. At least for the DSP part. If you need realtime, you must not use almost everything that makes the difference between C and C++. Or you have to be very careful. But then the C++ code looks looks quite ugly...

Anyway, I use C++ even for the DSP.
Basslint
Established Member

Re: [Proposal] LV2 for VST2 developers guide

Post by Basslint »

sjaehn wrote: There are strong arguments to use native C for LV2 programming. At least for the DSP part. If you need realtime, you must not use almost everything that makes the difference between C and C++. Or you have to be very careful. But then the C++ code looks looks quite ugly...

Anyway, I use C++ even for the DSP.
You can also use the D language in the BetterC mode, so you get a lot of nice features that C doesn't have (such as modules and lambdas) and no Garbage Collection. And you can call C++ libraries from BetterC and call BetterC code from C or any other language!
The community of believers was of one heart and mind, and no one claimed that any of his possessions was his own, but they had everything in common. [Acts 4:32]

Please donate time (even bug reports) or money to libre software 🎁

Jam on openSUSE + GeekosDAW!