Book about programming DSP algorithms.

Programming applications for making music on Linux.

Moderators: MattKingUSA, khz

Michael Willis
Established Member

Book about programming DSP algorithms.

Post by Michael Willis »

Can somebody recommend a good book on programming digital signal processing algorithms?

After working on the Dragonfly Reverb plugins, I feel like a fraud that has fooled some of the masses into thinking that I know a thing or two about developing audio effects. The truth is that I just put a nice wrap over the stuff from freeverb3, and I don't really know much about what's going on inside, other than a bit of poking around in the freeverb3 code and searching wikipedia for the terms that I find.

An ongoing conversation with the inimitable Unfa has inspired me to start a new project, one that will require me to actually understand some of this crazy black magic that goes into programming audio effects. If I'm going to do that I will need some good resources to learn from.
sadko4u
Established Member

Re: Book about programming DSP algorithms.

Post by sadko4u »

Very good book for starters.
http://www.dspguide.com/pdfbook.htm
LSP (Linux Studio Plugins) Developer and Maintainer.
CrocoDuck
Established Member

Post by CrocoDuck »

I would recommend all the material published by Julius Orion Smith III:

https://ccrma.stanford.edu/~jos/

Plenty of good stuff there.
thumbknuckle
Established Member

Post by thumbknuckle »

Both of the previous poster's suggestions are great.

Miller Puckette has a super useful book with lots of examples implemented in Pure Data: http://msp.ucsd.edu/techniques.htm
Faster than a laser bullet.
Louder than an atom bomb.
milo
Established Member

Post by milo »

sadko4u wrote:Very good book for starters.
http://www.dspguide.com/pdfbook.htm
I've been working through this book, currently on chapter 7. It is very readable and very interesting. A few of the graphics end up on the wrong pages, and there are occasional typos, but nothing really terrible. Thanks for the link! I'm really enjoying this.
marbangens
Established Member

Post by marbangens »

Digital Larry
Established Member

Post by Digital Larry »

Kadenze offers a variety of online classes you might find interesting. You can audit the classes for free or if you like, pay something like $20/month and then proceed at your own pace. I took classes in ChucK, JUCE, and FAUST. It's not quite like taking a regular class, mostly because the professors who recorded the videos may or probably won't be around to answer any questions you might have. But if you are strongly self motivated, it could work.

https://www.kadenze.com/search?q=audio
khz
Established Member

Post by khz »

I am not quite sure if this fits in here ...
https://cs.gmu.edu/~sean/book/synthesis/ wrote:Computational Music Synthesis

About the Book This is an open set of lecture notes on topics related to building music synthesizers in software, and is intended for undergraduate-level computer scientists or those with a significant programming background. It was developed as a series of lecture notes for an undergraduate course I taught at GMU. The topics are short and light on theory. The book also contains a lot of historical background on music synthesizers to put things into context.

I am by no means an expert in this topic: as a result there are no doubt numerous errors in the text, ranging from simple typos to profound misunderstandings. I would appreciate feedback, corrections, and proposed additions: I will be gradually making improvements and fixes to the text.
. . . FZ - Does humor belongs in Music?
. . GNU/LINUX@AUDIO ~ /Wiki $ Howto.Info && GNU/Linux Debian installing >> Linux Audio Workstation LAW
  • I don't care about the freedom of speech because I have nothing to say.
Basslint
Established Member

Post by Basslint »

khz wrote: Sat Apr 03, 2021 9:03 am I am not quite sure if this fits in here ...
https://cs.gmu.edu/~sean/book/synthesis/ wrote:Computational Music Synthesis

About the Book This is an open set of lecture notes on topics related to building music synthesizers in software, and is intended for undergraduate-level computer scientists or those with a significant programming background. It was developed as a series of lecture notes for an undergraduate course I taught at GMU. The topics are short and light on theory. The book also contains a lot of historical background on music synthesizers to put things into context.

I am by no means an expert in this topic: as a result there are no doubt numerous errors in the text, ranging from simple typos to profound misunderstandings. I would appreciate feedback, corrections, and proposed additions: I will be gradually making improvements and fixes to the text.
It sure does! The author did something very nice sharing it without charge.
The community of believers was of one heart and mind, and no one claimed that any of his possessions was his own, but they had everything in common. [Acts 4:32]

Please donate time (even bug reports) or money to libre software 🎁

Jam on openSUSE + GeekosDAW!
SpotlightKid
Established Member

Post by SpotlightKid »

And it instantly wins my favour by showing a picture of knobs clearly from a Waldorf microWave II, one of my all-time favourite synths.
CrocoDuck
Established Member

Post by CrocoDuck »

I think it is worth to mention Audio Processes, by David Creasey. I own a copy and I am overall happy with it. All algorithms are explained in clear pseudo-code. I tend to find this particularly useful as the actual implementation details might vary differently depending on what I do (for example, offline python script for analysis VS realtime C++ code). I do refer to it from time to time. Not math heavy and not excessively expensive.
Michael Willis
Established Member

Post by Michael Willis »

CrocoDuck wrote: Thu Apr 22, 2021 6:40 pm I think it is worth to mention Audio Processes, by David Creasey.
Thanks @CrocoDuck! I ordered the paperback, I'm looking forward to seeing what I can learn from this one.
Basslint
Established Member

Post by Basslint »

The community of believers was of one heart and mind, and no one claimed that any of his possessions was his own, but they had everything in common. [Acts 4:32]

Please donate time (even bug reports) or money to libre software 🎁

Jam on openSUSE + GeekosDAW!
CrocoDuck
Established Member

Post by CrocoDuck »

That list somehow reminded me of Valerio Velardo YouTube channel, which as about Machine Learning and Artificial Intelligence for music/audio applications.

I also somehow forgot to mention DSP Related, which is packed with tons of really very useful articles.
rghvdberg
Established Member

Post by rghvdberg »