skeilib tests (vst)

Programming applications for making music on Linux.

Moderators: MattKingUSA, khz

skei
Established Member

skeilib tests (vst)

Post by skei »

i'm still a little bit dizzy from a massive flu, but i want to get going with this, so sorry if something is a bit confusing, or if i forgot something here.. just ask if there's anything.. :-)

---

i finally have some time for focusing on coding again.. so.. i have a bunch of vst plugins in the making, all using the same library/framework.. so, i made a couple of test plugins/executables, and hope some of you would be interested in helping me test them a little, and eventually find bugs, issues, problems, etc.. any bugs fixed in one plugin, will 'automagically' benefit all others.. so the more bugs found/fixed, the better :-)

the plugins:

* test_animate

testing our own idle editor handling (a separate thread), so that we're not dependent on the host timing.. currently set to 25hz update rate.. just clearing the screen to a random color, and drawing a couple of thousand lines randomly.. to see how the host handles time-consuming screen refreshes..

* test_gui1

testing the gui system, the widgets and hierarchies.. not meant to look pretty, but to see if the underlying code and design works for something a little bit more advanced than a few buttons and knobs.. the editor is resizable in some hosts that supports it (bitwig)..

* test_synth

experimenting with antialiased oscillators and oversampling.. have a look at the waveforms and frequency spectrum using your favourite tools.. be a little careful with the oversampling amount.. 256x can be a little cpu-taxing :-)

the release versions built with -march=core2
gui is using xlib, xrender, xft

to see debug output (plugins versions), enter:
nc -U -l -k /tmp/skei.sock
in a(nother) console before starting the executable (or the host where you'll be testing the plugins)
the standalone executables just prints out to std out, so just start the binaries from a comsole to see the output..

https://www.dropbox.com/s/b1w0ex650pjxb ... 6.zip?dl=0

here's a screenshot of how they look on my machine:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/61f4vuzdu0e2g ... 6.png?dl=0

(and, btw, just ignore/close the dropbox login crap if it pops up)

i have also uploaded the skeilib library/framework to github, but i think i need to update it before i start spreading links :-)

- tor-helge
davephillips
Established Member

Re: skeilib tests (vst)

Post by davephillips »

Greets,

Just checking in on the development of your lib. Any new news ? :)

dp
skei
Established Member

Post by skei »

hi!

nice to see that there are people actually interested in this :-)

well, i have mainly been focusing on the internals of the library for a while now, fleshing out some missing bits and pieces, fixing some quick hacks, added lots of debugging stuff and helpers..

also, i've been obsessing over sound quality, reading lots and lots of papers and forum posts and discussions about antialising in oscillators and filters, and oversampling and similar.. which made me question a lot of the stuff (oscillators, filters, etc) i had made earlier :-) but in the end, the sound quality of everything will improve..

apart from that, i re-made a couple of older plugins with the new library, and will probably post these soon.. a fibonacci midi note transformer, a fractional-sample delay that can be 'played' with midi notes, and various graphics related tests (antialiased splines, for example)..

but, just before i saw your post, i had decided to start working on a new, 'proper' plugin using some of the new additions.. a (hopefully) nice-sounding small synth with lots of modulation options (step sequencer, splines, etc).. will take some time, but i will do som blogging during the development:
http://torhelgeskei.blogspot.no/

and, btw, i finally found a nice graphical git client for linux (smartgit), so everything is now on github:
https://github.com/skei/skeilib

- tor-helge
davephillips
Established Member

Post by davephillips »

skei wrote: nice to see that there are people actually interested in this
Thanks for the update. I retrieved the git sources, built the lib and the two examples. Tested the frac-delay and stutter in Bitwig 1.3.6, both worked nicely indeed. :)
but, just before i saw your post, i had decided to start working on a new, 'proper' plugin using some of the new additions.. a (hopefully) nice-sounding small synth with lots of modulation options (step sequencer, splines, etc).. will take some time, but i will do som blogging during the development
I'll follow the blog too, thanks for the link.

Best,

dp
skei
Established Member

Post by skei »

i posted a few new plugins (alpha/prototype versions):
http://torhelgeskei.blogspot.no/2016/04 ... ugins.html
- tor-helge
sysrqer
Established Member

Post by sysrqer »

I just had a play with them in renoise and didn't experience any bugs. They're sounding fantastic so far!
I'm not having much luck with ardour 4.7 though, I get this after scanning for vsts:

Code: Select all

VST '/home/sysrqer/.vst/skeilib_vst_02apr2016/fx_jungle_64_v0.0.0.so': [WARNING]: /home/sysrqer/.vst/skeilib_vst_02apr2016/fx_jungle_64_v0.0.0.so: is a VST >= 2.4 - this plugin may or may not function correctly with this version of Ardour.