good language to work with midi

Programming applications for making music on Linux.

Moderators: MattKingUSA, khz

tatch
Established Member

good language to work with midi

Post by tatch »

I'm writing a 16-step midi drum sequencer in puredata right now to use with a k-board. I've been toying around with pd for a while now but have only recently realized that I don't really like it, but I don't feel ready to commit to c/c++ yet, so I'm wondering if anyone has any recommendations for any jack-midi-aware python-like audio programming environments that could be satisfactorily used to program midi sequences. What first comes to mind are chuck, csound, supercollider, i'd be interested in hearing what experiences other people have had with these regarding midi. thanks in advance
ssj71
Established Member

Re: good language to work with midi

Post by ssj71 »

Python is jack midi aware with the right library. Mididings is python IIRC. Would that work?

I'm big fan of C; every other language I try I just go back to C. So I'm probably not the best guy to ask.
_ssj71

music: https://soundcloud.com/ssj71
My plugins are Infamous! http://ssj71.github.io/infamousPlugins
I just want to get back to making music!
tatch
Established Member

Post by tatch »

yeah mididings is python. i guess my main concern with python though is that it isn't realtime-safe so i don't know how good it will be to program a sequencer with. Also mididings is a DSL so python interaction is a little wacky. I don't really know though, i may end up prototyping my idea in python and eventually make the jump to a c++ implementation. we'll see
programLyrique
Established Member

Post by programLyrique »

Maybe ChucK or Serpent (this one is a Python-family language designed for multimedia).

Or SuperCollider; you can use the SuperCollider language, but also Haskell, Python, Java, Scheme, ML, Scala (see the clients).
Gentoo and pro-audio overlay