Testers needed for new install process

Programming applications for making music on Linux.

Moderators: MattKingUSA, khz

bgribble
Established Member

Testers needed for new install process

Post by bgribble »

Hi, my project (mfp) is a mix of Python and C code (*), with several build targets including straight C shared libs, Python C extensions, plain Python packages, etc. Python's "setuptools" is pretty OK for most of the pieces but it falls down when I'm trying to configure and build a whole project.

I've implemented a new build system for mfp using waf as the main tool, calling out to setuptools where appropriate, and with configurable behavior to either install into a virtualenv or into a normal install structure under a specifiable prefix. It seems to work pretty well, but before I make a release using this build system I would love some testers to try it out on their own systems.

Anyone who is interested, please check out https://github.com/bgribble/mfp and have a look at the README.build file. Email or GitHub tickets describing any problems or things that are not clear would be really appreciated. Tickets and comments about the program itself are welcome too, but what I'm really looking for feedback on right now is the build and install process. Is the README.build clear? Does the build process do what you expect? Does it work well enough to launch the program and see a working program window with no alarming error messages? If there are problems, is there diagnostic output that is helpful in tracking down the root cause of the problem?

Thanks for your help...
Bill Gribble <grib@billgribble.com>

(*) What is MFP all about: it's a graphical patching language, in the tradition of max/msp and puredata. See the GitHub README.md for more details.