Sneak Preview: LV2 Create

Programming applications for making music on Linux.

Moderators: MattKingUSA, khz

lucianodato
Established Member

Re: Sneak Preview: LV2 Create

Post by lucianodato »

this is great! thank you very much! I will experiment in my free time programming my dream eq now
Arguy (IRC)
tatch
Established Member

Post by tatch »

male wrote: I never look at histograms when editing photos and I only look at frequency plots when testing DSP code, not when actually making music or mixing. I'd think this would be true of anyone without severe hearing (or vision) loss. If you're tweaking things that no one can hear or see, you're just killing time.
No: firstly, people use studio monitors/headphones instead of apple earbuds to mix even though most listeners use earbuds, which are significantly less accurate, and you can extend this paradigm to the accuracy of monitors vs the actual sonic content; secondly, just because you can't explicitly differentiate frequencies by ear doesn't mean you won't be able to hear the difference once the frequencies are separated. Frequency plots help tremendously with mixing. This is a really good article about mixing, it's directed towards electronic music/dnb but is applicable to all music really. (Here's a companion article on compression for those interested.)
A justification by the relevance of anything on OS X/Windows is by its nature flawed. Free software doesn't (shouldn't) suffer from the same perverted incentives that cause things to be the way they are on those platforms.
Firstly, it isn't a justification, it's an affirmation that a good number of people (even those "without severe hearing or vision loss") find it useful; and secondly, I hardly think visual feedback is a "perverted incentive".
Well, that's not entirely true... Some plugins do try, but there's nothing in the standard about it and the way they have tried has been in several ways inadequate (the CAPS plugins suite, for example, uses a non-standard method of hinting at named control port groups). Obviously a host can't auto generate a GUI for anything, but the most common wants of a graphical EQ or compressor curve are well within the realm of possibility.
I'll be glad when it happens.
j_e_f_f_g
Established Member

Post by j_e_f_f_g »

tramp wrote:Theoretical it is possible to wrote a extension which replace the plug.ttl file
Funny you should mention that because it's one of my planned projects.

Author of BackupBand at https://sourceforge.net/projects/backupband/files/
My fans show their support by mentioning my name in their signature.

varpa
Established Member

Post by varpa »

Here a project with some overlap with LV2 Create: Ap-Gen see http://audiores.uint8.com.ar/blog/ - says it helps make base code for Ladspa and VST plugins.
falken
Established Member

Post by falken »

@varpa: nice to know, from his blog I personally like also not yet known for me CLAM and reference to this article about realtime development too:
http://www.rossbencina.com/code/real-ti ... or-nothing
lucianodato
Established Member

Post by lucianodato »

Any chance to reupload lv2_create? It will be really useful for an upcoming project of mine.
Arguy (IRC)
j_e_f_f_g
Established Member

Post by j_e_f_f_g »

Author of BackupBand at https://sourceforge.net/projects/backupband/files/
My fans show their support by mentioning my name in their signature.

lucianodato
Established Member

Post by lucianodato »

Thank you!
Arguy (IRC)