Embarassing things you did in your first recordings

Practical tips for recording, editing, and mastering.

Moderators: khz, MattKingUSA

protozone
Establlshed Member

Re: Embarassing things you did in your first recordings

Postby protozone » Tue Jul 10, 2018 8:38 pm

Linuxmusician01 wrote:I still don't know how to play or record music properly and I love every mistake I make, ha ha. :wink: Reading your mistakes I still: make 1 bar drum loops (like many, many oficcially released classic techno tracks), use the IN jack from my on-board sound card, don't use reverb or compression and I mix everything either too loud or too soft. But I wont let it hold me back. :)

yeah, actually I feel stupid for what I said.
I still make one bar drum loops sometimes, but I try to vary them.
You make a good point. If the results sound good, that's more important.
Good attitude. Accepting your own results is also a great way to learn new styles and techniques.
I respect you and what you are saying.
I was too hasty to say what I said.

Linuxmusician01
Establlshed Member

Postby Linuxmusician01 » Wed Jul 11, 2018 11:05 am

Well, some mistakes can be called "happy accidents" (quote from Bob Ross) and some are, indeed, a bit embarrassing. What I often do wrong is to play an extra track in my DAW only to notice that it wasn't actually recorded. So I use a little physical multi-track recorder for quick recordings of ideas etc. ...Only to find out that I've overwritten a track that I wanted to keep.

Hmmmmm. DAW's are too complicated and hardware recorders don't have enough tracks, ha ha.

42low
Establlshed Member

Postby 42low » Thu Jul 12, 2018 6:53 pm

Linuxmusician01 wrote:Reading your mistakes I still: make 1 bar drum loops (like many, many oficcially released classic techno tracks), use the IN jack from my on-board sound card, don't use reverb or compression and I mix everything either too loud or too soft. But I wont let it hold me back. :)

Your not the only one. :mrgreen: :wink:

Linuxmusician01 wrote:I still don't know how to play or record music properly and I love every mistake I make, ha ha. :wink:

Ever analized the worlds greatest and famous hits?
The greatest ones all have simple riffs, simple chords, simple tunes, simple lyrics. Even difficult guitar solo's are based on simple finger/chord sets to keep them at least as easy playable as possible, were reproducing on stage exactly the same often is not happening.
Among them there are hardly any high musically scholed technical compositions.

Geniously produced they are though!!!!
I wish i could produce it that way. Trying hard but not even half way. My almost impossible quest. (One must have a goal to not reach that quick to keep going on, doesn't he?)

42low
Establlshed Member

Postby 42low » Thu Jul 12, 2018 7:09 pm

Btw, quest.
Recently in a local setting i've "plugged" a song i made/wrote/produced. Without telling i made it, just pointing at it as "a fun song".
And guess what ............ it's slightly getting picked up. :mrgreen:
A small bunch off people even sing parts off the lyrics, even from their mind, without the song.
Now .... to experience that, that's kind off embarassing. From the lack off expectation and the surprice off it. "Sh!t, something is happening.... :shock: "

And now hoping and praying it's going to start rolling.

Return to “The Producer's Area”