regarding the VST instruments at Le Site De Burnie

What other apps and distros do you use to round out your studio?

Moderators: khz, MattKingUSA

StudioDave
Established Member
Posts: 753
Joined: Sat Nov 01, 2008 1:12 pm

regarding the VST instruments at Le Site De Burnie

Postby StudioDave » Mon Jul 09, 2012 8:35 pm

Greetings,

The database for working VST/VSTi plugins at linuxaudio.org is hopelessly corrupted so I decided to start my own. I've begun my search with this site :

http://lesitedeburnie.free.fr/lalistedeburnie1-en.html

I'm going through every synth listed on the site, something like 170+ plugins. I'm testing with a recent build of FeSTige on an Ubuntu 10.04 box and my AVLinux-powered laptop, with Wine 1.3 on the first box and 1.5 on the other.

I've completed tests for Page 1, and I've tested most of the synths on Page 2, along with various others from the other pages. I plan to put up a Web site with the results, hopefully with some interactive response capability.

I must say that I'm having a ball with some of these synths. I'd forgotten how good some of them sound, so I just might have to start playing around with them again. Stability varies, but many are perfectly steady, with no xruns at all.

Many thanks to falkTX for his work on FeSTige. I'm excited to see how Carla turns out, we need a good multiformat plugin launcher.

Best,

dp

werock
Established Member
Posts: 58
Joined: Wed Nov 05, 2008 11:23 am

Re: regarding the VST instruments at Le Site De Burnie

Postby werock » Wed Jul 11, 2012 10:56 am

Any particular recommendations, Dave?

StudioDave
Established Member
Posts: 753
Joined: Sat Nov 01, 2008 1:12 pm

Re: regarding the VST instruments at Le Site De Burnie

Postby StudioDave » Wed Jul 11, 2012 3:01 pm

werock wrote:Any particular recommendations, Dave?


So far I've enjoyed working with Synth1, SuperWave P8, SQ8L, Square 1, and ReBirth. The last soft isn't a plugin but it is recommended on the site so I checked it, got it working with Peter Kirn's help, and it rocked. :)

I'm working on a set of criteria to somewhat adequately rate the plugs. Some current considerations:

Occurrence of xruns
MIDI capabilities (respond to program change, MIDI learn, tempo sync)
Presets, availability and expansion
Stability in WINE environment

Please feel free to suggest others.

Best,

dp

StudioDave
Established Member
Posts: 753
Joined: Sat Nov 01, 2008 1:12 pm

Re: regarding the VST instruments at Le Site De Burnie

Postby StudioDave » Wed Jul 11, 2012 5:29 pm

falkTX wrote:My favorites are Superwave P8 and Crystal, they have nice collection of pre-included presets to work with.


They're very stable too. And you're right, Crystal is a great synth, I should have mentioned it.

The funny thing is, I rarely use synths in my own work. I do a lot of synthesis stuff in Csound, but the prebuilt plugins aren't my familiar tools. Still, they interest me and I like checking out what they can do.

Best,

dp

werock
Established Member
Posts: 58
Joined: Wed Nov 05, 2008 11:23 am

Re: regarding the VST instruments at Le Site De Burnie

Postby werock » Fri Jul 13, 2012 1:25 pm

Yeah, I remember Crystal & Synth1 from my Windows/Tracktion days...

User avatar
briandc
Established Member
Posts: 1336
Joined: Sun Apr 29, 2012 3:17 pm
Contact:

Re: regarding the VST instruments at Le Site De Burnie

Postby briandc » Fri Jul 20, 2012 10:31 am

StudioDave wrote:Greetings,

The database for working VST/VSTi plugins at linuxaudio.org is hopelessly corrupted so I decided to start my own. I've begun my search with this site :

http://lesitedeburnie.free.fr/lalistedeburnie1-en.html

I'm going through every synth listed on the site, something like 170+ plugins. I'm testing with a recent build of FeSTige on an Ubuntu 10.04 box and my AVLinux-powered laptop, with Wine 1.3 on the first box and 1.5 on the other.

I've completed tests for Page 1, and I've tested most of the synths on Page 2, along with various others from the other pages. I plan to put up a Web site with the results, hopefully with some interactive response capability.

I must say that I'm having a ball with some of these synths. I'd forgotten how good some of them sound, so I just might have to start playing around with them again. Stability varies, but many are perfectly steady, with no xruns at all.

Many thanks to falkTX for his work on FeSTige. I'm excited to see how Carla turns out, we need a good multiformat plugin launcher.

Best,

dp


Cool! I've been doing some of the same work, using Festige, with synths from KVR. (if you do a search, you can specify "instruments" and "free" and "software" --and it comes up with a bunch of synths... about 1066!!! :shock:

Most of the ones I've tried work just fine. A few cause xruns (not the first number, but the one in parentheses) and a few just don't work, or don't open a GUI. It's probably that they depend on another app to run which I don't have installed.
I'm also making note of which ones cause Audacity to crash when I try to record. So far, out of probably about 40-50 synths, about 5 crash. So all considered, Linux runs them just fine!!

brian
Have your PC your way: use linux!
My sound synthesis biome: http://www.linuxsynths.com

StudioDave
Established Member
Posts: 753
Joined: Sat Nov 01, 2008 1:12 pm

Re: regarding the VST instruments at Le Site De Burnie

Postby StudioDave » Fri Jul 20, 2012 11:07 am

briandc wrote:... I've been doing some of the same work, using Festige, with synths from KVR. (if you do a search, you can specify "instruments" and "free" and "software" --and it comes up with a bunch of synths... about 1066...


Yep, I've made that search many times. It proves a point: Windows has a lot of free VSTi plugins ! :)

Most of the ones I've tried work just fine. A few cause xruns (not the first number, but the one in parentheses) and a few just don't work, or don't open a GUI. It's probably that they depend on another app to run which I don't have installed. I'm also making note of which ones cause Audacity to crash when I try to record. So far, out of probably about 40-50 synths, about 5 crash.


Good work !I'm a bit stalled on my project, but if/when I complete it perhaps we can share notes on what works and what doesn't. Btw, I'm testing on Ubuntu 10.04 and AVLinux 5.0.1, both 32-bit systems, and I've restricted myself to testing with FeSTige. When Carla is stable I'll run tests again.

Best,

dp

User avatar
briandc
Established Member
Posts: 1336
Joined: Sun Apr 29, 2012 3:17 pm
Contact:

Re: regarding the VST instruments at Le Site De Burnie

Postby briandc » Sat Jul 21, 2012 7:20 pm

StudioDave wrote:
briandc wrote:... I've been doing some of the same work, using Festige, with synths from KVR. (if you do a search, you can specify "instruments" and "free" and "software" --and it comes up with a bunch of synths... about 1066...


Yep, I've made that search many times. It proves a point: Windows has a lot of free VSTi plugins ! :)

Most of the ones I've tried work just fine. A few cause xruns (not the first number, but the one in parentheses) and a few just don't work, or don't open a GUI. It's probably that they depend on another app to run which I don't have installed. I'm also making note of which ones cause Audacity to crash when I try to record. So far, out of probably about 40-50 synths, about 5 crash.


Good work !I'm a bit stalled on my project, but if/when I complete it perhaps we can share notes on what works and what doesn't. Btw, I'm testing on Ubuntu 10.04 and AVLinux 5.0.1, both 32-bit systems, and I've restricted myself to testing with FeSTige. When Carla is stable I'll run tests again.

Best,

dp


I'd be more than happy to collaborate! :)
I'm also using a 32-bit, but Ubuntu Studio 12.04 with KXStudio on top, which I'm really liking.

I have 3 ways to work, which I like a lot:

- using synths as standalone, such as Phasex, Yoshimi, MX44.
- using QSynth and trying out loads of SF2 sounds, from sites like Hammersound.net
- using FeSTige, to play with VST synths, like Synth1, that has almost 10,000 free patches!!!! :shock:

I'm just really happy with KXStudio. I've tried AVLinux, but wasn't satisfied. Ubuntu Studio is fine, but I really like what's going on with KXS.. Glad to be here!

brian
brian
Have your PC your way: use linux!
My sound synthesis biome: http://www.linuxsynths.com

User avatar
briandc
Established Member
Posts: 1336
Joined: Sun Apr 29, 2012 3:17 pm
Contact:

Re: regarding the VST instruments at Le Site De Burnie

Postby briandc » Wed Aug 15, 2012 9:56 am

I haven't tested any VST synths that are .exe files. Only .dll files, using FeSTige.

Of the 150 or so that I've been trying, most of them work just fine. A minority of them create xruns (the number in parentheses next to the xruns) at steady intervals, and are usually then not audible after connecting. These are the ones I discard, but I keep a note of them so that I don't reinstall them later.

If they are .dll files, and if, when opened, they don't create the stream of xruns, then they usually work just fine. The majority work this way.

Finally, I open Audacity (I am particularly fond of Audacity because of how quickly tracks can be laid down.).
Some VSTs cause Audacity to crash. I'm going to do a test today or tomorrow with the dbg process, and post the results on the Audacity forum.

Other than that, my KXStudio is simply amazing, very inspiring, and really fun. Some of my favorite VST synths: Aqua, 4Evar, and the ones made by a guy named Serrano, which seem to interface really well in Linux. Synth1 has a ton of sounds available, some very nice; but I'm having problems with the arpeggiator, and some sounds cause it to crash. But many sounds that work fine are impressive.

I've got samplers, .gig and .wav players, VST instruments and effects, open source synths, soundfont players and DAWs... Is there anything in the world that I DON'T have on this machine???? :D

brian
Have your PC your way: use linux!
My sound synthesis biome: http://www.linuxsynths.com


Return to “Linux Distributions & Other Software”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: MSN [Bot] and 1 guest