Studio 13.37 is out!

What other apps and distros do you use to round out your studio?

Moderators: MattKingUSA, khz

l0wt3ch
Established Member

Re: Studio 13.37 is out!

Post by l0wt3ch »

Ha! You wish! :lol:
i2productions
Established Member

Post by i2productions »

Someone stop me if I'm wrong here, but with wineasio included, there's a proprietary component to the driver from steinberg is there not? I'm ALL for wineasio being included, I love it, but just a nitpick over wording.

And falkTX has an amazing following for KX Studio, because he's helpful and listens to his users needs and develops tools that other distros don't have. Suprised you haven't tried to repackage the Cadence tools for 13.37 studio
brummer

Post by brummer »

l0wt3ch wrote:Please ask them to write down any specific violations (if any), and forward them to my email address.

Thanks
So be it. :evil:
l0wt3ch
Established Member

Post by l0wt3ch »

If you are in contact with the EFF and feel I have missed something, have them send the information.

Let's put all doubts to rest.

No disrespect to FalkTX, just a bit of friendly competitiveness, that's all.
l0wt3ch
Established Member

Post by l0wt3ch »

Well, it's been fifteen days, and not a peep from the EFF.

It looks like somebody was trying to make a mountain out of a molehill.

Like I said on another forum, I find it interesting that not one person ever made a single GPL-related accusation when the Studio products were free. Only now that money has been invested in manufacturing, web hosting, and advertising, is this occurring.
slowpick
Established Member

Post by slowpick »

I tried the dssi-vst setup in 1337, with the great U-he synthesizer collection, since they all
have excellent internal preset handling. The free synthesizers TyrellN6, Bazille, Triple Cheese
work fine, as does ZebraCM, found on every Computer Music Magazine dvd, and the new
commercial synth Diva. The flagship Zebra 2, and its free colt, Zebralette, work, but the latest
release has changed the default paths, so I need to sort those out.

For these, I copied over the folders from a linux wineasio setup, and linked the .dll's
to /usr/lib/dssi/dssi-vst, and to start them,

cd /usr/lib/dssi/dssi-vst

vsthost ZebraCM.dll

etc :D
l0wt3ch
Established Member

Post by l0wt3ch »

You can still easily use REAPER, too. Just click here, and then click on the file. It's all set up for you, with WINE-rt and wineasio; you shouldn't even have to adjust any settings. (Just remember to start JACK before starting REAPER, or it will complain. :) )
l0wt3ch
Established Member

Post by l0wt3ch »

With Studio 13.37, you don't even have to do that. No command-line required.

Anyway, this thread isn't about kxstudio. It's about 13.37. :D
l0wt3ch
Established Member

Post by l0wt3ch »

falkTX wrote:so it all begins again? I hope not...
Didn't take you very long to change your tune, there, falkTX.
did you missed it...? here:
there will be a menu file as any other "linux" app
I meant to install, obviously. Unless your "menu file" also includes installation. But then why did you say you had to "sudo apt-get install" it?
I find it hard to believe that when people don't even donate small amounts to KXStudio, anyone would think about buying your thing, that looks more like a scam than anything else.
This from a man who has never tried it. Please spare me your childish accusations.
l0wt3ch
Established Member

Post by l0wt3ch »

falkTX wrote:The way you speak about your product also gives me that feeling.
It's not a scam.

Think about it this way: if you called a computer tech to come over to your house, and do an hour of work on your computer, how much would he charge you? Thirty dollars?

Well Studio 13.37 took months of full-time compiling and hacking. All of the programs are compiled against the realtime kernel, even dependencies - no apt-get. Not to mention that the micro-Linux it's based on is fairly specialized and takes a long time to learn how to work with. I have years of experience now at it, and I still had to spend weeks hacking and troubleshooting.

With the cost of the usb stick and shipping factored in, I'm not even asking for a case of beer for all the work you would have to do. Cheap!

If no-one cares enough to donate to your project, maybe you shouldn't be doing it.
falkTX wrote:I do care about the fact that you're charging people from other people's work
It's the GPL. I bet you don't have a problem with Red Hat or Android using GPL-ed software, do you?
falkTX wrote:and don't contribute anything back.
I was the maintainer of "Puppy Studio" for years, with the full support of the community, including Barry Kauler, who lent assistance a couple of times. More recently, I was the first to bring the 3.x kernel series to Puppy Linux, sparking a whole new wave of kernel hacking in the community and the upgrading of all of Puppy's scripts that were incompatible due to aufs issues. I also contribute many of my package builds to the community, some of which have made it into the official repos.

I'll talk to you later, falkTX. I got things to do.
slowpick
Established Member

Post by slowpick »

l0wt3ch wrote:You can still easily use REAPER, too. Just click here, and then click on the file. It's all set up for you, with WINE-rt and wineasio; you shouldn't even have to adjust any settings. (Just remember to start JACK before starting REAPER, or it will complain. :) )
:) I was kinda throwing a bone, in case someone here won't use a windows daw,
due to religion, but might give in to the :twisted: temptations :twisted:
of some fine German synthesizers :wink:

I changed winecfg audio setting to use alsa instead of jack, ymmv
Last edited by slowpick on Fri Apr 27, 2012 1:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
slowpick
Established Member

Post by slowpick »

slowpick wrote:I tried the dssi-vst setup in 1337, with the great U-he synthesizer collection, since they all
have excellent internal preset handling. The free synthesizers TyrellN6, Bazille, Triple Cheese
work fine, as does ZebraCM, found on every Computer Music Magazine dvd, and the new
commercial synth Diva. The flagship Zebra 2, and its free colt, Zebralette, work, but the latest
release has changed the default paths, so I need to sort those out.

For these, I copied over the folders from a linux wineasio setup, and linked the .dll's
to /usr/lib/dssi/dssi-vst, and to start them,

cd /usr/lib/dssi/dssi-vst

vsthost ZebraCM.dll

etc :D
Got Zebra2, Zebralette, MFM2, and ACE working, I had to ignore the installers suggestions,
and manually enter a path in the installer fields, and also add a font, l_10646.ttf to the
.wine/drive_c/windows/fonts folder.
For path, /root/.wine/drive_c/Program Files/Steinberg/VstPlugins for the .dll files,
and /root/.wine/drive_c/Program Files/u-he for the data folders.

There are excellent youtube tutorials on some of these. The score of the recent Batman movie
was largely done in Zebra2. It's full-function demo must be restarted every 13 minutes (ballpark)
or it plays notes other than your key-presses. The ACE demo has some quiet vinyl crackle.
Bazille and ACE are old-skool patch cable synths, some of you may have grown up using
something like that, and have great fun using them.
Must be 1500 presets amongst the herd, counting the free ones at the u-he web site :shock:
l0wt3ch
Established Member

Post by l0wt3ch »

Thanks for the feedback, slowpick!

Why don't you keep trying stuff, and let us know what you think! :D
slowpick
Established Member

Post by slowpick »

Assuming most reading this won't yet be Puppy linux users, efficient,
portable, sophisticated, and fun, are descriptive. Many users first tasks
will be choosing a video setting from xorgwizard, offering to probe,
choose from a list, and test, so various trial and error can be performed,
a crucial and flexible way of accounting for diverse video setups.

Next up would be testing/configuring sound
in qjackctl, and then an internet connection. I copied a wvdial.conf from
a partition, chose a nouveau nVidia driver, unmuted the mixer, and verified
the m-audio card was selected in qjackctl.

At this point, one should choose to resize the personal storage file,
from a utility menu option, and the resize occurs at the next boot.
At first shutdown, you will be prompted for a save file, a squash
file system to hold your new personal settings.

After reboot, resizing was executed, and I looked in /usr/bin, and /usr/lib/dssi,
and copied over a few favorites.
The default selection is excellent, with calf plugins, guitarix, and rakarrack
ready to transform hydrogen, zynaddsubfx, and calf monosynth. I like working
with 3 rakarracks, one each for left and right, and a third to add some unity
in stereo.

With the OS running in ram, and cpu usage nicely divided, recording is trouble free.
I copied over a Reaper folder, and went to work on configuring the U-he collection.
So far, it's been very positive and productive, with linux and windows sounds
mixing happily together.
l0wt3ch
Established Member

Post by l0wt3ch »

Assuming most reading this won't yet be Puppy linux users, efficient, portable, sophisticated, and fun, are descriptive.
Studio 13.37 contains 14% Slacko 5.3.3.
Many users first tasks will be choosing a video setting from xorgwizard, offering to probe, choose from a list, and test, so various trial and error can be performed, a crucial and flexible way of accounting for diverse video setups.
Unlike previous versions, Studio 13.37 should boot straight to desktop in the vast majority of cases, without any tinkering. (Of course, xorgwizard is there if you need it.)
Next up would be testing/configuring sound in qjackctl, and then an internet connection.
Wired internet should be automatically set up at boot. Wireless is usually pretty easy. No configuration should be necessary for realtime with qjackctl, but most people can achieve much lower latencies by adjusting the "frames/period" setting.
At this point, one should choose to resize the personal storage file
Studio 13.37 doesn't come with a save file, you create one (if you want) on first shutdown. By default, it creates one on the usb stick itself, so that your settings and changes can travel with you. Resizing shouldn't be necessary as a general rule.
The default selection is excellent, with calf plugins, guitarix, and rakarrack ready to transform hydrogen, zynaddsubfx, and calf monosynth... With the OS running in ram, and cpu usage nicely divided, recording is trouble free. I copied over a Reaper folder, and went to work on configuring the U-he collection. So far, it's been very positive and productive, with linux and windows sounds mixing happily together.
Good to hear!

Studio 13.37 is actually extremely noob-friendly. You basically just boot from the stick, and voila!, everything just works. While it does come with all the features an advanced user like Slowpick would appreciate, the nice thing about Studio 13.37 is you don't have to be "leet" to use it!