A couple of new plugins

What other apps and distros do you use to round out your studio?

Moderators: MattKingUSA, khz

werock
Established Member

A couple of new plugins

Post by werock »

KVR have mentioned a couple of new native Linux VST plugins in the last few days.

KResearch has announced a native Linux version of their free KR-Reverb FS plug in, KVR announcement here:

http://www.kvraudio.com/news/13166.html

Secondly, Loomer have announced a new plugin, String, which is an emulation of old string machines, KVR announcement here:

http://www.kvraudio.com/news/13100.html

I have already tried String, and it is one of the best sounding plugins I've heard for ages. Just in time to go on the Christmas list...

According to the KReasearch download page, they have other Linux VST plugins coming soon as well :D
Louigi Verona
Established Member

Re: A couple of new plugins

Post by Louigi Verona »

What are the native plugins? Is there a difference between native vst plugin and the fact that paul, ardour developer, has reversed engineered Steinbergs headers?
werock
Established Member

Post by werock »

Native means you do not need to use DSSI or FST with Wine to run the plugins - they just work out of the box (in a host that supports Native Linux VST, such as Qtractor or Renoise) as they are Linux specific versions.
Louigi Verona
Established Member

Post by Louigi Verona »

Ah, thx. I heard there are not a lot of VST native plugins and that most of them are not very good. Is that true?
werock
Established Member

Post by werock »

Agreed, there aren't that many compared to Windows.

There are Linux versions of the MDA plugins (loads of effects, and a couple of instruments) - these are good and have been open sourced. Some are more useful than others, but it depends on your needs.

The Loomer VSTs I have tried have been very good.

I have never had any luck getting the plugins hosted at jucetice to work, so can't comment on those.

I think in time we will slowly see more, especially with development kits like Juce making cross platform support fairly easy. In fact, another new one has popped up on KVR:

http://www.kvraudio.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=272337

But we could do with some more Linux VST synths...
Last edited by werock on Wed Dec 16, 2009 3:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
StudioDave
Established Member

Post by StudioDave »

Louigi Verona wrote:What are the native plugins? Is there a difference between native vst plugin and the fact that paul, ardour developer, has reversed engineered Steinbergs headers?
Paul Davis did not reverse engineer the Steinberg headers, that work was done by someone else in a project called Vestige.

A VST/VSTi compiled to run natively under Linux will have an extension of .so. A native Windows VST/VSTi plugin has the .dll extension. Thus:

fooplug.so is for Linux, fooplug.dll is for Windows.

Best,

dp