Dyne:bolic Goes Dormant

What other apps and distros do you use to round out your studio?

Moderators: MattKingUSA, khz

mixtape
Established Member

Dyne:bolic Goes Dormant

Post by mixtape »

The excellent audio-visual LiveCD distribution that is Dyne:bolic has officially been listed on DistroWatch as dormant. Although still available, the distribution has not been updated since its December 2007 2.5.2 release.

Whether or not the new DistroWatch designation signals the end of the vernerable Dyne:bolic, it remains one of the better production-based distributions in recent memory. Many thanks to everyone at the project for making the Linux Audio world a better place.
nathan
Site Admin

Re: Dyne:bolic Goes Dormant

Post by nathan »

+1

I used Dyne:bolic quite a bit back in the day.
Arpee Ong
Established Member

Post by Arpee Ong »

was the distro that introduced me to linux multimedia.. I used/distributed it to my participants back in the days for a 5 day cinelerra/kino course.. its sad to know that development stalled, but it does happen to opensource projects.. will just sit back and watch though..
spm804

Post by spm804 »

Shame - I just started using it recently myself.
I hope someone picks it up!
Steve - Piano, Guitar, Drums
SixFingers
Established Member

Post by SixFingers »

I just loaded it onto a cd. I love the look of it, and I love the simplicity of the design. After my hair-pulling experience with Ubuntu Studio, dyne:bolic sounds really refreshing to me...

I just wish I could get the mouse to work! I'm trying to run it on an Intel-based MacBook. I try to move either the track pad, or my USB mouse, and the cursor just moves up and down while scrolling through the virtual desktops. Holding the mouse button down just slides the cursor to the right of the screen.

Has anyone else had this problem before? Anyone else tried using dyne:bolic with a MacBook? I'm starting to wonder if the only solution would be to buy an older computer...

By the way, apparently pure:dyne is attempting to carry on dyne:bolic's legacy. I am not inclined to try it, because I am now suspicious of the stability of any distro based on Ubuntu.
mixtape
Established Member

Post by mixtape »

OK, so I may have jumped the gun. Dyne:bolic has been resurrected on Distrowatch (although the distro itself hasn't been updated as far as I can see). Here's to hoping that Distrowatch knows something that we don't.

Also, I'm no mac expert SixFingers, but Klaatu from the Bad Apples Podcast is all about running Linux-based multimedia on the mac. He should be able to help you with any questions you have. You should be able to reach him via http://notblog.titradio.info/contact.php. Make sure to check out his podcast at http://thebadapples.info/ as well. Very informative and just all-round cool.
Last edited by mixtape on Thu Nov 19, 2009 4:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
nathan
Site Admin

Post by nathan »

+1 on that...dyne's great distro.
dreamer
Established Member

Post by dreamer »

I have personal contact with one of the lead Dyne.org developers and I know they are planning a new and updated spin to be released soon!

Good to hear people are anticipating an update :)
mixtape
Established Member

Post by mixtape »

It's official, Dyne:Bolic is back. Check out the press release at http://194.109.134.136/lurker/message/2 ... cd.en.html