Can the Low-Latency & KX Studios various software be installed on Lubuntu?

What other apps and distros do you use to round out your studio?

Moderators: MattKingUSA, khz

MCJosiah
Established Member

Can the Low-Latency & KX Studios various software be installed on Lubuntu?

Post by MCJosiah »

Can the current version of Lubuntu be used as a music production OS for on budget mini Dell Inspirion 3000 from 2018 with a AND A6-9220e Dual-Core APU @ 1.6Ghz, 4GB od DDR4 single-channel memory, 32GB SSD, & a 256GB SD Card slot with a Focusrite Scarlett Solo or Behringer U-Phoria UM2?

Like could I install the low latency kernal, all the various KXStudio software, & a much lighter GUI like that of Windows 98 or Mac OS 8/9? Would it be able to run FL Studio 9.1, LMMS 1.2.0, Ardour 5.12, Audacity 2.3.2, & other various softwares I use like GIMP 2.10.12 & Kdenlive 19.08.2 for 720p/24fps & 720p/30fps short video editing?

On my laptop I mainly plan on recording in 16-Bit at 41Khz with LMMS projects having about 8 to 9 tracks & Ardour about 16 tracks, with the Synths & Drum Patterns I made in LMMS rendered into Ardour & recording channels set up for my vocal mic & instrument input on my audio interface. then while I'm still learning Ardour & LMMS better, I can use FL Studio to do final mixing & mastering. After a while though I plan on trying to mix & master in Ardour alone. But I will be doing everything in 16-Bit on my laptop since I can eaily fo 24-Bit/96Khz on my 8-Channel audio interface hooked up to my Dell Precision T7610 workstation which has Windows 8.1 Pro but I will be dual-booting Ubuntu Studio 19.04 on it.

But back to the main question(Sorry I got carried away, lol!!!), can Lubuntu be turnt into a studio OS like Ubuntu & Linux Mint can?
merlyn
Established Member

Re: Can the Low-Latency & KX Studios various software be installed on Lubuntu?

Post by merlyn »

Lubuntu is Ubuntu with the LXDE desktop environment. LXDE is already pretty light -- I don't think there's anything much lighter.
milo
Established Member

Post by milo »

The short answer is yes, Lubuntu should work as a drop-in replacement for Linux Mint or Ubuntu in that situation, as the base install for a system that you plan to tweak for audio work.

The disclaimer is that I've never done it with Lubuntu, so there may be something unforeseen. But I doubt it. The Ubuntu derivatives are all pretty similar in their innards. Most of what you are changing when you go from Ubuntu to Xubuntu to Lubuntu is just the skin.
bmarkham
Established Member

Post by bmarkham »

I just finished building a system with pretty much the works software wise -- kubuntu 19.10, kxstudio, audacity, ardour, mixbus, lmms, the airwindows plugins, jamin, the ddp tools plus some graphics stuff and the low-latency kernel and it all came to less than 16 gigs on the hard drive. I'm also using it with both a behringer u-phoria umc202hd and a focusrite scarlett 6i6. SInce kubuntu is bigger than Lubuntu, I'd have to say yes at least in terms of hard disk space.

I'm also running something similar -- linux mint cinnamon 19.10 + kxstudio on a laptop with 4 gigs of ram to a behringer uPhoria umc202hd and it works fine.
nikgnomicradio
Established Member

Post by nikgnomicradio »

Lubuntu is good lightweight desktop and was a good base for a DAW when i used it

Should be not much difference to Ubuntu or Mint to add KX repositories and install

i find JACK works better at 48kHz compared to 44.1kHz with most audio interfaces