New KXStudio Repositories

What other apps and distros do you use to round out your studio?

Moderators: MattKingUSA, khz

rncbc
Established Member

Re: New KXStudio Repositories

Post by rncbc »

Eddyness wrote:Jumped on this post as it seemed to relate to the new KXstudio repos and perhaps the issues I am having. Clearly made a mistake, apologies, I will move on now..
probably not your mistake

i'm also having some with a pristine installation to Debian10.1 (buster) on a KVM/QEMU box: it always complains the ppa:rncbc/bionic repo is not signed, NO_PUBKEY or sth. and refuses to activate the new source.

maybe it's same with you on ubuntustudio, perhaps?

does anyone which have a better clue or expertise on *ubuntu/debian packaging may chime in here :)

cheers

ps. well, for all the folks who are trying to do the same, there's this: https://wiki.debian.org/DontBreakDebian ! so I rather stop right here. (all my stuff comes from my OBS project (openSUSE Build Service, not the video editor), so my apologies on messing up with all this n00b Debian'oiances ;))
Last edited by rncbc on Sat Sep 28, 2019 10:36 am, edited 2 times in total.
Eddyness
Established Member

Post by Eddyness »

Think I got the NO_PUBKEY error, had deleted it so cant go take a look now.. But as you pointed out, that repo is for all the Q stuff, which is nice but my main problem is I cant get all the plugins from KXstudio repos now since it changed recently to version 10. Have spent a fair bit of time looking around but this seems to be the only post I can find that relates to it and I still dont know what the solution is..

Is it possible to run the 9.5.1 files + gcc5 and get the old repos? Or does that not work anymore..?
rncbc
Established Member

Post by rncbc »

Eddyness wrote:Is it possible to run the 9.5.1 files + gcc5 and get the old repos? Or does that not work anymore..?
maybe they still work but with those old repos you don't have a chance to upgrade on any of the qstuff from any of my ppa's anyhow: kxstudio's stamped their packaging version series with some higher prefix number that supersedes any upstream original version (of mine).
lilith
Established Member

Post by lilith »

falkTX will leave the old repos active for a while, but there are no updates.
Linuxmusician01
Established Member

Post by Linuxmusician01 »

rncbc wrote:[...]
ps. well, for all the folks who are trying to do the same, there's this: https://wiki.debian.org/DontBreakDebian ! so I rather stop right here.
[...]
[excuse me the rant] The Debian guys shouldn't whine. If their distro was up to date or even got updates other than years old "updates" it wouldn't be necessary to use external repo's. Some packages are so old it's stringently discouraged and unsupported by it's devs to use them and even unstable. Those versions, however, do seem to find their way into the "stable" branch of Debian. Pfffff. [end rant]

Just out of curiosity, since you (@Rncbc) are the dev of Qtractor, why aren't you the one responsible for that package in Debian? Do they not let you, do you not have the time, do you not know how to become Qtractor's maintainer for those distro's and repo's? Isn't is more hassle do maintain your own repo instead of somehow uploading it to Debian- or Ubuntu's repo's?
rncbc
Established Member

Post by rncbc »

Linuxmusician01 wrote:Just out of curiosity, since you (@Rncbc) are the dev of Qtractor, why aren't you the one responsible for that package in Debian? Do they not let you, do you not have the time, do you not know how to become Qtractor's maintainer for those distro's and repo's? Isn't is more hassle do maintain your own repo instead of somehow uploading it to Debian- or Ubuntu's repo's?
because I have no Debian (nor Ubuntu if that matters) ?

anyway i'm not affiliated to any distro in particular, just a happy openSUSE Tumbleweed user here :)

OK.

after stubbornly messing up things a deep more, specially wrt.NO_PUBKEY issue after adding my ppa:rncbc/bionic repo to a fresh Debian 10.1 Buster install, I think I got it all cleared now:

I'll give you what I did and you may follow if you dare:

0. add the ppa repository:

Code: Select all

sudo add-apt-repository ppa:rncbc/bionic

sudo apt-get update
will probably complain about missing public key whatver (NO_PUBKEY) and won't activate the repo.

now for the fix:

1. download my launchpad ppa pubkey:

wget -O rncbc-ppa-bionic.key 'https://keyserver.ubuntu.com/pks/lookup?op=get&search=0x74407499cd30f338'
3. add the downloaded file (rncbc-ppa-bionic.key) to the apt keyring:

sudo apt-key add rncbc-ppa-bionic.key
4. now it should be fine to update at will:

sudo apt-get update
congratulations, according to debian.org, you may have now a FrakenDebian! :mrgreen:

you may now upgrade any of the qstuff (from the horse's mouth:)):

sudo apt-get install qjackctl
sudo apt-get install qsynth
sudo apt-get install qsampler liblscp6
sudo apt-get install qxgedit
sudo apt-get install qmidinet
sudo apt-get install qmidictl
sudo apt-get install qtractor
sudo apt-get install synthv1 synthv1-lv2 synthv1-common
sudo apt-get install samplv1 samplv1-lv2 samplv1-common
sudo apt-get install drumkv1 drumkv1-lv2 drumkv1-common
sudo apt-get install padthkv1 padthv1-lv2 padthv1-common
cheers && good luck!

ps. the usual disclaimer applies: do any of the above at your own risk :)
Linuxmusician01
Established Member

@rncbc: thanks for solving that even though you have no Debian based distro. :)
rncbc
Established Member

Post by rncbc »

Linuxmusician01 wrote:@rncbc: thanks for solving that even though you have no Debian based distro. :)
but I have an awesome OBS (opensuse build service) for the help! :) there are package builds for the latest debians, fedora, opensuse ofc. and ubuntu's.
https://download.opensuse.org/repositories/home:/rncbc/

which also and conveniently upload's (dput's) to the following Launchpad PPA's
https://launchpad.net/~rncbc/+archive/ubuntu/xenial (Ubuntu 16.04 LTS)
https://launchpad.net/~rncbc/+archive/ubuntu/bionic (Ubuntu 18.04 LTS)
https://launchpad.net/~rncbc/+archive/ubuntu/disco (Ubuntu 19.04)

byee
cousticous
Established Member

Post by cousticous »

Dear community,

I'm glad I found such an active threat over here. here's my thing:

I've been using KXStudio (14.04) for years now, though I'm still not understanding much, when it comes to problems. Most of the time I find helpful hints on the internet. I'm a musician/music student and no IT-expert :lol:

Yesterday i made a fresh install of Kubuntu and tried to add the repositories based on the information on kx.studio and a little help from a friend. Now when trying to install the kxstudio-meta-all I get this:

sudo apt-get install kxstudio-meta-all
Reading package lists... Done
Building dependency tree       
Reading state information... Done
Some packages could not be installed. This may mean that you have
requested an impossible situation or if you are using the unstable
distribution that some required packages have not yet been created
or been moved out of Incoming.
The following information may help to resolve the situation:

The following packages have unmet dependencies:
 kxstudio-meta-all : Depends: kxstudio-meta-audio-plugins but it is not going to be installed
E: Unable to correct problems, you have held broken packages.
Now basically I would love to have an easy to use audio Distribution for musescore, midi, audioproduction etc.

How do I get it running?
Is this (problem in the code) normal because this new repositories mostly feature plugins an not applications?
Should I manually install all the programms that were necessary on my old distro (Cadence, catia, claudia)?

Thanks for any help, I hope I gave you the vital information

cheers
Cousticus :)
Linuxmusician01
Established Member

cousticous wrote:Dear community,

I'm glad I found such an active threat over here. here's my thing:

I've been using KXStudio (14.04) for years now, though I'm still not understanding much, when it comes to problems. Most of the time I find helpful hints on the internet. I'm a musician/music student and no IT-expert :lol:

Yesterday i made a fresh install of Kubuntu and tried to add the repositories based on the information on kx.studio and a little help from a friend. Now when trying to install the kxstudio-meta-all I get this:

sudo apt-get install kxstudio-meta-all
Reading package lists... Done
Building dependency tree       
Reading state information... Done
Some packages could not be installed. This may mean that you have
requested an impossible situation or if you are using the unstable
distribution that some required packages have not yet been created
or been moved out of Incoming.
The following information may help to resolve the situation:

The following packages have unmet dependencies:
 kxstudio-meta-all : Depends: kxstudio-meta-audio-plugins but it is not going to be installed
E: Unable to correct problems, you have held broken packages.
Now basically I would love to have an easy to use audio Distribution for musescore, midi, audioproduction etc.

How do I get it running?
Is this (problem in the code) normal because this new repositories mostly feature plugins an not applications?
Should I manually install all the programms that were necessary on my old distro (Cadence, catia, claudia)?

Thanks for any help, I hope I gave you the vital information

cheers
Cousticus :)
[off topic]
1. I think you'd better make a separate topic about this support question.

2. Have you tried running "apt-get update" first?

Good luck :)
lilith
Established Member

Post by lilith »

Did anyone upgrade from Debian Stretch to Buster yet with the KX repos? As it's recommended to deactivate all foreign repos before the upgrade and also to uninstall all software from these repos I want to ask how you handled this.
khz
Established Member

Post by khz »

lilith wrote:Did anyone upgrade from Debian Stretch to Buster yet with the KX repos? As it's recommended to deactivate all foreign repos before the upgrade and also to uninstall all software from these repos I want to ask how you handled this.
I did that.
There were no problems.

I had also asked falkTX about it here in the forum. His answer: Yes it works.
khz wrote:Debian-stable dist-upgrade with the KXStudio repository >> viewtopic.php?p=96528#p96528
KXRepos and Debian PPAs >> viewtopic.php?p=94589#p94589
Unfortunately the thread has been deleted?
. . . FZ - Does humor belongs in Music?
. . GNU/LINUX@AUDIO ~ /Wiki $ Howto.Info && GNU/Linux Debian installing >> Linux Audio Workstation LAW
  • I don't care about the freedom of speech because I have nothing to say.
wolftune
Established Member

Post by wolftune »

Okay, I got the list of currently-installed stuff that came from the older KXStudio repos…

But what's the best way to get a list of packages that meet these qualifications:

- came from other sources (not KXStudio repos)
- were set to be installed as a direct dependency on KXStudio meta packages
- are *not* dependencies of any other package (whether itself a meta package dependency or unrelated)

I'm not concerned about packages that are dependencies of various other KXStudio installed stuff, because if (e.g.) Guitarix had its own dependencies, all I need to know is that Guitarix is one of the packages I got from KXStudio. However I get it in the future, it will obviously include its dependencies.

But if the meta packages include certain non-KXStudio things (where there was no need to repackage but where having those packages was important), they will still be marked as "auto" and won't show up in a search for manual packages. And I want to make sure to consider manually getting any such items.

An example, reviewing the dependencies: one of the meta packages depends on rtirq-init — is that something I otherwise wouldn't have as a dependency of anything else but that I would want still (and that might not be in the new repos' dependencies)? Whether or not, it's that question I'm looking to resolve to not miss things.

UPDATE: The commands I did before to check what came from KXStudio repos somehow missed Audacity, Mixxx, and Sooperlooper among others. Either those weren't coming from KXStudio or something was missing in the command given earlier in this topic.
Aaron Wolf
Music teacher, scholar
http://wolftune.com
Linuxmusician01
Established Member

wolftune wrote:[...]
UPDATE: The commands I did before to check what came from KXStudio repos somehow missed Audacity, Mixxx, and Sooperlooper among others. Either those weren't coming from KXStudio or something was missing in the command given earlier in this topic.
You sure that Audacity depends on KXStudio?
wolftune
Established Member

Post by wolftune »

Linuxmusician01 wrote:
wolftune wrote:[...]
You sure that Audacity depends on KXStudio?
That's my whole point: Audacity is in the kxstudio-meta-audio "recommends" but doesn't come from KXStudio at all. I was wondering if there's a more reliable way to find all such cases. Cases where I did not mark it *manual* because it was installed along with the meta packages but where it will not show up in the list of installed packages that come from KXStudio repos because it *doesn't* come from them.

It's not too crazy to manually go through all the Depends and Recommends from all the meta packages manually, but that overlaps with the list of stuff that comes from KXStudio repos.

And an answer to my question will also give me insights into how to manage packages reliably overall.
Aaron Wolf
Music teacher, scholar
http://wolftune.com