New KXStudio Repositories

What other apps and distros do you use to round out your studio?

Moderators: MattKingUSA, khz

finotti
Established Member

New KXStudio Repositories

Post by finotti »

For those who haven't noticed: KXStudio has moved its repositories. Here are instructions on how to enable the new ones: https://kx.studio/Repositories The steps should remove the old repositories and install the new ones, and no installed software should be removed.

Note that no new updates will come to the old repositories.

I've done it in two machines running Debian Sid, and it all went without a glitch (and new updates came in).

Just FYI...
finotti
Established Member

Re: New KXStudio Repositories

Post by finotti »

More detailshttps://kx.studio/News/?action=view&url=the-kxstudio-are-slowly-coming-back
wolftune
Established Member

Post by wolftune »

So, trusting that the new repos (which remove old) won't remove any of the installed packages, what's the process of then handling them?

I understand I can manually figure out how to update (removing the existing installs, get updates however) stuff that's no longer in the new repos. But what's the best way to see what all that is?

I'd like to be able to carefully consider all the no-longer-included packages so I can plan which ones I care about and how to manage them going forward.
Aaron Wolf
Music teacher, scholar
http://wolftune.com
lilith
Established Member

Post by lilith »

Seems I have to upgrade to Debian Buster :cry:
christobal
Established Member

Post by christobal »

A lot of "Intel Based System" specified there. What about my upcoming Ryzen 3000 purchase?

Edit: After searching it seems all newer AMD CPUs since "the mid 2000s support SSE2 which is the requirement here. Just a bit odd wording.
Last edited by christobal on Tue Sep 24, 2019 9:35 am, edited 1 time in total.
Amp: Echolette M40 / NG51S Tape Echo
Strings: Martin D15M, Yamaha FG-180, Alhambra 5P, Yamaha Revstar
rghvdberg
Established Member

Post by rghvdberg »

lilith wrote:Seems I have to upgrade to Debian Buster :cry:
Yup.
I've been postponing an update for long enough now anyway.
I'm on Mint 18.
Linuxmusician01
Established Member

Post by Linuxmusician01 »

Luckily the old ones will stay active for some time. I also read in the News section of the KXStudio website that:
Once you update to the new repositories, you will not be able to "apt-get install" packages that were present in the old repositories but are not yet in the new ones. This is intentional. There are quite a few packages that I will not be supporting anymore, and thus won't end up in the repos.
KXStudio will focus on plugins rather than on applications as of now. Supported applications are listed here. Unfortunately FalkTX decided not to support Qtractor or LMMS anymore (I understand his reasoning for this). If I'm not mistaken then Qtractor is not updated very regularly in the standard repo's of our distro's. Bummer: it's my go to DAW/Sequencer.

I don't use LMMS very often, but when I do I always use (Windows) VST's in it. If I'm not mistaken then the version that comes in the standard repo of our distro's does not have VST (i.e. Vestige) support built in it. I used the KXStudio version for that.

Apparently a Jack version isn't available from KXStudio anymore either.

Anyway, thanks FalkTX for maintaining KXStudio for all these years and the years to come. :)
rghvdberg
Established Member

Post by rghvdberg »

Just use the appimage from lmms.io ;-)
finotti
Established Member

Post by finotti »

wolftune wrote:So, trusting that the new repos (which remove old) won't remove any of the installed packages, what's the process of then handling them?

I understand I can manually figure out how to update (removing the existing installs, get updates however) stuff that's no longer in the new repos. But what's the best way to see what all that is?

I'd like to be able to carefully consider all the no-longer-included packages so I can plan which ones I care about and how to manage them going forward.
That's a good question. One thing that helps is:

Code: Select all

apt list --installed | grep kxstudio
This will miss some packages that did not have 'kxstudio' in their version, like zynaddsubfx-git in my system.

If you have not updated your repositories yet, you could save the output of

aptitude search "?origin (kxstudio) ?installed"
If you have, you can check what packages are not available at any respository:

aptitude search ~o
This will list many obsolete packages, but you will be able to see packages from KXStudio that are not in the new repository, like zynaddsubfx-git for me.

I hope this helps.
wolftune
Established Member

Post by wolftune »

Thanks! I haven't changed the repos yet, so I'll go with that aptitude instruction.

I think that might make sense to be added to the FAQ on the KXStudio website and/or other relevant news places about the new repos.

EDIT: I happened to notice also that there were obsolete installs that seem to be KXStudio related but did not therefore show up in the search with kxstudio as source:

i A avldrums.lv2 - Drum Sample Player Plugin
i A avldrums.lv2-data - Drum Sample Player Plugin - data
i A juce-opl-lv2 - OPL Audio Plugin (LV2)
i A teragonaudio-plugins-lv2 - audio plugins from Teragon Audio (LV2)

I guess using the obsolete search after I switch the repo is the easiest way to then start comparing what is missing. But having the full list from beforehand is good.
Aaron Wolf
Music teacher, scholar
http://wolftune.com
rncbc
Established Member

Post by rncbc »

Linuxmusician01 wrote: KXStudio will focus on plugins rather than on applications as of now. Supported applications are listed here. Unfortunately FalkTX decided not to support Qtractor or LMMS anymore (I understand his reasoning for this). If I'm not mistaken then Qtractor is not updated very regularly in the standard repo's of our distro's. Bummer: it's my go to DAW/Sequencer.
don't (ever) despair: there's (always) hope :)

to get the latest and greatest of all, any of the qstuff (which includes qtractor ofc.) you can always add yours truly ppa's:

check that out (please choose the one that applies best to you):

re. xUbuntu >= 16.04 LTS...

sudo add-apt-repository ppa:rncbc/xenial
re. xUbuntu >= 18.04 LTS... (maybe also applies to Debian 10 aka. Buster, who knows;)

sudo add-apt-repository ppa:rncbc/bionic
re. xUbuntu >= 19.04...

sudo add-apt-repository ppa:rncbc/disco
caveat emptor: all that are in fact updated overnight (UTC), as nightly snapshots straight from upstream git master when there are any changes whatever, so that you'll always get the razor's bleeding edge at all times ;)

cheers
Linuxmusician01
Established Member

Post by Linuxmusician01 »

@Rncbc: Thanks man! I knew we could count on you, as always. :)
Eddyness
Established Member

Post by Eddyness »

Hi..

Been out of the audio game for the past few months, have jumped back in with a fresh install of Ubuntu Studio (18.04), have gone to install the KXstudio repositories and.. :? , the 2 files I normally download (9.5.1) are missing and the current file on the KXstudio site is version 10, but no gcc5 file.

No probs I thought, just go with it.. But now none of the dssi, lv2 and vst plugins will install.. My zynsub plugin also does not work in Ardour, which is a big shame as I love it..

Tried running the bionic repo line (sudo add-apt-repository ppa:rncbc/bionic) from above but that just installs the disco repo and comes up with an error on my package manager when I try to reload repos..

Any ideas guys? Do we not need the gcc5 file anymore? Do we not need the plugins listed above? Wish I could tell you any other missing things from the KXstudio repos but as I said, been out of it for a while and cant remember what was there from before.. Also dont want to blunder on setting up everything (Ardour+as many goodies as I can get) until I know I have not missed something essential..
rncbc
Established Member

Post by rncbc »

Eddyness wrote:Tried running the bionic repo line (sudo add-apt-repository ppa:rncbc/bionic) from above but that just installs the disco repo and comes up with an error on my package manager when I try to reload repos..
please can you tell how exactly a "disco" repo (ie. 19.04) is taking over while the "ppa:rncbc/bionic" (18.04 LTS) was the explicitly chosen one? and rightly it should, i suppose, as for to UbuntuStudio 18.04, but I am no *buntu nerd :)

puzzled here, anyhow...

i'd rather remind you that those ppa:rncbc/... repos are only supplies to qstuff (qjackctl, qtractor, qsynth, etc.) and *not anything* else :/
and for that matter, as stated on the OP news, you need to remove/purge all the old kxstudio repos first, then remove any of the existing qstuff apps currently installed and then yes, install them again from the new source (ppa:rncbc/...)
you won't get any change whatsoever if you keep the old kxstudio repo.sources, just because most of the apps (and also plugins) in there were versioned in some prefix that explicitly overrides a normal upstream and natural series.

you've been advised :)

cheers

ps. also note that, afaict. removing/purging a repo. source won't force you to uninstall any packages--any existing packages will remain and still you should rather explicitly remove any them one by one, when you're pleased ;)
Eddyness
Established Member

Post by Eddyness »

Hi rncb..

Certainly feels like I had a roasting for asking, but will risk it again..
Fresh install of Ubuntu Studio, so no existing KXstudio repos.. On installing the kxstudio-repos_10.0.2_all.deb file I cannot install any kxstudio lv2, diss or vst plugins through my synaptics manager, I used to be able to do this when it was 9.5.1 version but now I just get errors and it refuses to do it.

I tried your sudo add-apt-repository ppa:rncbc/bionic as I thought it might get me some of the software that I cant get doing the above, apologies for making that mistake, am a musician, not a Linux programmer. The result was that synaptics package manager compained that it could not find a file and when I check repositories, it showed disco, not bionic, have deleted that now.

Jumped on this post as it seemed to relate to the new KXstudio repos and perhaps the issues I am having. Clearly made a mistake, apologies, I will move on now..