Geekos DAW (libre music-making repository for openSUSE)

What other apps and distros do you use to round out your studio?

Moderators: khz, MattKingUSA

Gps
Established Member
Posts: 183
Joined: Mon Mar 09, 2015 3:09 pm

Re: Geekos DAW (libre music-making repository for openSUSE)

Postby Gps » Fri Sep 27, 2019 2:57 pm

Basslint wrote:
Gps wrote:OMG, does this mean I will have LMMS with Carla on openSUSE ? :D

I have had so many issues with both, because they weren't compiled right.

No wine support to name one thing. :)

I am currently working on a boogy woogy track.

The start is already there.

https://soundcloud.com/user586365033/boogiewoogie


Let's say that LMMS is one of our most problematic packages, too :lol:

If you want to try openSUSE out, we will be glad to have a LMMS user to give us feedback and make a better package!


Lol.
Well for LMMS there is now an appimage file, which works great for me. But the Carla version from the obs does not have wine support.

I tried to compile LMMS my self too, with one time even getting errors of which the LMMS devs had no clue on that was causing it,
Also was succesfull a few times.

Building a new pc, typing this from leap 42.3 on the old pc.Trying to safe some money to get a new vid card, so I can finish the new pc, with ryzen 5 and already have an usb stick ready for leap 15.

When new pc is finished, I might be able to help a bit if only to test if lmms is working right. :)


Also once tried to compile carla myself, and I am using opensuse for years now.

That boogy woogy piece ( not finished) is made with LMMS ( appimage) on openSUSE 42.3.

You can also ask help from the LMMS devs on discord.

I hope this link works.
https://discordapp.com/channels/203559236729438208

They are also on github.

And just a thought , look what in the appimage file ? as far as I understand it, that file has all libs needed.

https://lmms.io/download/#linux

Basslint
Established Member
Posts: 188
Joined: Sun Jan 27, 2019 2:25 pm
Location: Italy

Re: Geekos DAW (libre music-making repository for openSUSE)

Postby Basslint » Fri Sep 27, 2019 7:19 pm

Gps wrote:Lol.
Well for LMMS there is now an appimage file, which works great for me. But the Carla version from the obs does not have wine support.

I tried to compile LMMS my self too, with one time even getting errors of which the LMMS devs had no clue on that was causing it,
Also was succesfull a few times.

Building a new pc, typing this from leap 42.3 on the old pc.Trying to safe some money to get a new vid card, so I can finish the new pc, with ryzen 5 and already have an usb stick ready for leap 15.

When new pc is finished, I might be able to help a bit if only to test if lmms is working right. :)


Also once tried to compile carla myself, and I am using opensuse for years now.

That boogy woogy piece ( not finished) is made with LMMS ( appimage) on openSUSE 42.3.

You can also ask help from the LMMS devs on discord.

I hope this link works.
https://discordapp.com/channels/203559236729438208

They are also on github.

And just a thought , look what in the appimage file ? as far as I understand it, that file has all libs needed.

https://lmms.io/download/#linux


Thanks for all the detailed info! Please stick around, we really need users like you :D
The community of believers was of one heart and mind, and no one claimed that any of his possessions was his own, but they had everything in common. [Acts 4:32]

antiesen
Established Member
Posts: 149
Joined: Sat Aug 27, 2011 3:36 pm

Re: Geekos DAW (libre music-making repository for openSUSE)

Postby antiesen » Mon Sep 30, 2019 5:19 pm

Geekows works only for leap, not for tumbleweed?
This was made to end all partys - Einstürzende Neubauten 1985

Basslint
Established Member
Posts: 188
Joined: Sun Jan 27, 2019 2:25 pm
Location: Italy

Re: Geekos DAW (libre music-making repository for openSUSE)

Postby Basslint » Mon Sep 30, 2019 8:15 pm

antiesen wrote:Geekows works only for leap, not for tumbleweed?


Thanks to kott, Geekos DAW also works on Tumbleweed (although we officially only support Leap, due to the fact that both Jo and I use it).
The community of believers was of one heart and mind, and no one claimed that any of his possessions was his own, but they had everything in common. [Acts 4:32]

jsiltala
Posts: 2
Joined: Tue Aug 26, 2014 5:22 pm

Re: Geekos DAW (libre music-making repository for openSUSE)

Postby jsiltala » Mon Oct 28, 2019 9:32 pm

This is a wonderful initiative!

Right now though, installing the whole pattern fails. I have a brand new Leap installation, with packman enabled, as well as the multimedia stuff from OBS. There's an lv2 plugin that conflicts with the plugin from multimedia:apps ( lv2-lsp-plugins to be precise). This is not good, you should not conflict with these major repos.

Of course, many packages are perfectly installable here, just not the whole pattern :)

EDIT: As i force it, the pattern is actually installable, but there are several conflicts that you have to brave yourself through.

Basslint
Established Member
Posts: 188
Joined: Sun Jan 27, 2019 2:25 pm
Location: Italy

Re: Geekos DAW (libre music-making repository for openSUSE)

Postby Basslint » Tue Oct 29, 2019 6:57 am

jsiltala wrote:This is a wonderful initiative!

Right now though, installing the whole pattern fails. I have a brand new Leap installation, with packman enabled, as well as the multimedia stuff from OBS. There's an lv2 plugin that conflicts with the plugin from multimedia:apps ( lv2-lsp-plugins to be precise). This is not good, you should not conflict with these major repos.

Of course, many packages are perfectly installable here, just not the whole pattern :)

EDIT: As i force it, the pattern is actually installable, but there are several conflicts that you have to brave yourself through.


Hello,

thank you for reporting it! We're actually trying to make the whole thing seamless and feedback such as yours is essential.

The deal with lsp-plugins is that the upstream package stuffed all versions of the plugin (LV2, VST, LADSPA) inside the same package. We'll try to fork from upstream, better separate the various subpackages and then link to the upstream package instead.
The community of believers was of one heart and mind, and no one claimed that any of his possessions was his own, but they had everything in common. [Acts 4:32]

User avatar
rncbc
Established Member
Posts: 739
Joined: Mon Apr 19, 2010 12:20 pm
Contact:

Re: Geekos DAW (libre music-making repository for openSUSE)

Postby rncbc » Wed Nov 06, 2019 2:19 pm

hello? have i missed sth?
:wink:
ps. using suse, since late xx century, then opensuse from 2008 iirc. now happy on tumbleweed ftw.

Kott
Established Member
Posts: 99
Joined: Thu Mar 21, 2013 12:55 am
Location: Vladivostok

Re: Geekos DAW (libre music-making repository for openSUSE)

Postby Kott » Thu Nov 07, 2019 4:53 am

rncbc wrote:hello? have i missed sth?
:wink:

Hi!
rncbc wrote:ps. using suse, since late xx century, then opensuse from 2008 iirc. now happy on tumbleweed ftw.


I same.

Even if You add our repo to your workstation - it would be great to have such powerful tester :)

User avatar
rncbc
Established Member
Posts: 739
Joined: Mon Apr 19, 2010 12:20 pm
Contact:

Re: Geekos DAW (libre music-making repository for openSUSE)

Postby rncbc » Thu Nov 07, 2019 3:46 pm

Kott wrote:
rncbc wrote:hello? have i missed sth?
:wink:

Hi!
rncbc wrote:ps. using suse, since late xx century, then opensuse from 2008 iirc. now happy on tumbleweed ftw.


I same.

Even if You add our repo to your workstation - it would be great to have such powerful tester :)


aha. i see that most of qstuff is linked to my own OBS home project (https://build.opensuse.org/project/show/home:rncbc)
nm.
cheers

Basslint
Established Member
Posts: 188
Joined: Sun Jan 27, 2019 2:25 pm
Location: Italy

Re: Geekos DAW (libre music-making repository for openSUSE)

Postby Basslint » Thu Nov 07, 2019 4:59 pm

rncbc wrote:aha. i see that most of qstuff is linked to my own OBS home project (https://build.opensuse.org/project/show/home:rncbc)
nm.
cheers


Yes, we do use your stuff and are thankful for it! :D

One thing that would help your packages get upstream on the official openSUSE repos (which is one of our ultimate purposes) is adding a license notice on top of them. Could you please add it when you have time? Or we could do it and send you requests, no problem.
The community of believers was of one heart and mind, and no one claimed that any of his possessions was his own, but they had everything in common. [Acts 4:32]

User avatar
rncbc
Established Member
Posts: 739
Joined: Mon Apr 19, 2010 12:20 pm
Contact:

Re: Geekos DAW (libre music-making repository for openSUSE)

Postby rncbc » Thu Nov 07, 2019 5:15 pm

Basslint wrote:
rncbc wrote:aha. i see that most of qstuff is linked to my own OBS home project (https://build.opensuse.org/project/show/home:rncbc)
nm.
cheers


Yes, we do use your stuff and are thankful for it! :D

One thing that would help your packages get upstream on the official openSUSE repos (which is one of our ultimate purposes) is adding a license notice on top of them. Could you please add it when you have time? Or we could do it and send you requests, no problem.


by all means: what should i do exactly?

cheers

Basslint
Established Member
Posts: 188
Joined: Sun Jan 27, 2019 2:25 pm
Location: Italy

Re: Geekos DAW (libre music-making repository for openSUSE)

Postby Basslint » Fri Nov 08, 2019 3:42 pm

rncbc wrote:by all means: what should i do exactly?

cheers


Just put this on top of each .spec file (replace XXX with the name of the package), please :D

# spec file for package XXX
#
# Copyright (c) 2019 Rui Nuno Capela
#
# All modifications and additions to the file contributed by third parties
# remain the property of their copyright owners, unless otherwise agreed
# upon. The license for this file, and modifications and additions to the
# file, is the same license as for the pristine package itself (unless the
# license for the pristine package is not an Open Source License, in which
# case the license is the MIT License). An "Open Source License" is a
# license that conforms to the Open Source Definition (Version 1.9)
# published by the Open Source Initiative.
#
# Please submit bugfixes or comments via http://bugs.opensuse.org/
The community of believers was of one heart and mind, and no one claimed that any of his possessions was his own, but they had everything in common. [Acts 4:32]

User avatar
rncbc
Established Member
Posts: 739
Joined: Mon Apr 19, 2010 12:20 pm
Contact:

Re: Geekos DAW (libre music-making repository for openSUSE)

Postby rncbc » Fri Nov 08, 2019 7:11 pm

Basslint wrote:Just put this on top of each .spec file (replace XXX with the name of the package), please :D

# spec file for package XXX
#
# Copyright (c) 2019 Rui Nuno Capela
#
# All modifications and additions to the file contributed by third parties
# remain the property of their copyright owners, unless otherwise agreed
# upon. The license for this file, and modifications and additions to the
# file, is the same license as for the pristine package itself (unless the
# license for the pristine package is not an Open Source License, in which
# case the license is the MIT License). An "Open Source License" is a
# license that conforms to the Open Source Definition (Version 1.9)
# published by the Open Source Initiative.
#
# Please submit bugfixes or comments via http://bugs.opensuse.org/


done.

cheers

Basslint
Established Member
Posts: 188
Joined: Sun Jan 27, 2019 2:25 pm
Location: Italy

Re: Geekos DAW (libre music-making repository for openSUSE)

Postby Basslint » Fri Nov 08, 2019 7:30 pm

rncbc wrote:done.

cheers


How good is rncbc? I liked you as a developer enough, now as a packager too :D Thanks man!

Consider yourself part of this project, we couldn't do it without you for a number of reasons!
The community of believers was of one heart and mind, and no one claimed that any of his possessions was his own, but they had everything in common. [Acts 4:32]

sb56637
Established Member
Posts: 6
Joined: Thu Aug 02, 2018 4:19 pm

Re: Geekos DAW (libre music-making repository for openSUSE)

Postby sb56637 » Tue Nov 19, 2019 3:34 pm

Fantastic initiative! Another loyal openSUSE user and casual music producer here, looking forward to trying your repo (on Leap, since Tumbleweed sort of lost my confidence after they broke Jack a few months back).


Return to “Linux Distributions & Other Software”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests