Linux Mint user for 2 years, change?

What other apps and distros do you use to round out your studio?

Moderators: MattKingUSA, khz

arpegadream
Established Member

Linux Mint user for 2 years, change?

Post by arpegadream »

2 years ago when I first seriously considered converting my life to Linux from, well, you know, Redmond, I checked out a few distros. Mint won out without me looking too hard.

I like what Clem and team are doing. I really like Mint and the Debian package system. And I'm not very motivated right now to change, bu-ut...

Are any audio/video distros compelling enough to consider changing to them?

I don't even know where to start with questions related to this, except Mint has good forum support the people there have taught me tons. I've donated a small amount to Mint.

What are the salient differences I would see to the music distros, is it just that they offer built in packages? Is package management different? Is the UI different? What else is different?
milo
Established Member

Re: Linux Mint user for 2 years, change?

Post by milo »

I wouldn't budge if you're happy and invested with Mint. I run Mint 19 on my studio machine, with the kxstudio repos and a realtime kernel. I followed some of the advice in the AV Linux manual to optimize my system.

Really all you need is the apps and some minor system tweaks, like the kernel. Mint is a solid platform for music making.

I'm thinking of building a minimal Debian system someday when I upgrade the machine, but that's down the road.
bhilmers
Established Member

Post by bhilmers »

milo wrote:Really all you need is the apps and some minor system tweaks, like the kernel. Mint is a solid platform for music making.
Agreed. I used Ubuntu Studio for a few years then switched back to Mint. All my problems making music are the same tired Linux/FOSS issues that are true on any distro. Mint rocks.
Linuxmusician01
Established Member

Post by Linuxmusician01 »

arpegadream wrote:[...] Are any audio/video distros compelling enough to consider changing to them?
No. Linux = Linux. But considering Music production I think that a Linux distro that supports the KXStudio repositories is a B.I.G. plus (i.e. a distro based on Ubuntu or Debian).
arpegadream wrote: [... ] What else is different? [...]
I've been using Linux as my only OS on my laptops, desktops and Raspberry Pi since 2005 and I've been using different distro's over the years (Suse, Red Hat, Ubuntu, Mint, Debian, Raspbian). To me they're alle the same except for the Desktop Environment you choose and their packaging system. My experience: if a distro tries to do something "different" stay away from it. Just my 2 cents.

Good luck! :)

P.S. I'm using Mint 17.1 which is not supported anymore. KXStudio repo's still work though. I do not see any reason to update/upgrade. But I'm the kind of man that still would be using Windows XP w/ MS Office '97 if it still could be protected against viruses. ;)
arpegadream
Established Member

Post by arpegadream »

how do i add kxstudio repos?
folderol
Established Member

Post by folderol »

Rule 1: if it ain't broke, don't fix it.
Rule 2: see rule 1.
The Yoshimi guy {apparently now an 'elderly'}
arpegadream
Established Member

Post by arpegadream »

I've gotten the repos installed, but can't seem to find a link to gete the meta packages, this page refers to them, but doesn't provide a download link:

https://kx.studio/Documentation:Reposit ... a-Packages
Linuxmusician01
Established Member

Post by Linuxmusician01 »

arpegadream wrote:I've gotten the repos installed, but can't seem to find a link to gete the meta packages, this page refers to them, but doesn't provide a download link:

https://kx.studio/Documentation:Reposit ... a-Packages
I don't know what meta packages are. I don't think that I use them...