MIDI controller software

What other apps and distros do you use to round out your studio?

Moderators: MattKingUSA, khz

martibs
Established Member

MIDI controller software

Post by martibs »

I'm looking for a way to send MIDI CCs from my laptop to various pieces of hardware. Are there any programs which let you map custom CCs to faders/encoders, and send them over ALSA?
raboof
Established Member

Re: MIDI controller software

Post by raboof »

martibs wrote:I'm looking for a way to send MIDI CCs from my laptop to various pieces of hardware. Are there any programs which let you map custom CCs to faders/encoders, and send them over ALSA?
I haven't done this for a while but I think PureData allows this? (might not be the easiest one to get started with though...)
Fmajor7add9
Established Member

Post by Fmajor7add9 »

martibs wrote:I'm looking for a way to send MIDI CCs from my laptop to various pieces of hardware. Are there any programs which let you map custom CCs to faders/encoders, and send them over ALSA?
Maybe http://ctrlr.org ?

I haven't used it and hardly RTFM but a quick glance at http://ctrlr.org/expressions-in-ctrlr-2/ suggests that it sets up virtual MIDI in and out ports and sends any MIDI msg you choose.

If that's true it should be possible to connect any MIDI device, either software or hardware (via USB)

Some DAWs can also send MIDI out to external ports, like when you add a MIDI program change at a certain point in a song to change instrument patch or note or modulation or whatever; or map a MIDI keyboard or controller knob/fader/pedal to one of those. That MIDI message could either be sent to a instrument on one of the DAW tracks or a (virtual) MIDI port routed to any other port ALSA or Jack sees and can connect to your hardware.

If you're already using Ardour/Qtracktor/etc. check if MIDI out or send is featured and how useful their MIDI editors are for this purpose. Might be easier than creating a new panel in ctrlr with Lua scripting, depending on which hardware settings you want to control.
Galeb_G4
Established Member

Post by Galeb_G4 »

I was watching a ctrlr tutorial today, this does look like it's possible.
khz
Established Member

Post by khz »

. . . FZ - Does humor belongs in Music?
. . GNU/LINUX@AUDIO ~ /Wiki $ Howto.Info && GNU/Linux Debian installing >> Linux Audio Workstation LAW
  • I don't care about the freedom of speech because I have nothing to say.