Audacity works fine, Rosegarden does not

What other apps and distros do you use to round out your studio?

Moderators: MattKingUSA, khz

machiel

Audacity works fine, Rosegarden does not

Post by machiel »

I am running Audacity 2.2.1 on Ubuntu 18 without any problems. I can record and play audio files
I also have a program called Hydrogen, to create MIDI drum tracks, also works without problems.
However, with the Rosegarden MIDI program, I don't get any sound when I play one of the example "rg" files.
With Edit -> Preferences -> Midi, I set the sequencer timing source at "PCM playback 0-0-0"
In the track mixer, the Device is set to "General MIDI Device"
In Studio -> Manage MIDI Devices, MIDI outputs is always set to "No Port" for some reason but when I select "14.0 Midi Through Port-0 Duplex" (why all the cryptical names?), it doesn't make any difference: still no sound.

When I look in Hydrogen at the MIDI driver, it says "ALSA". I hope that's okay for Rosegarden too?
Linuxmusician01
Established Member

Re: Audacity works fine, Rosegarden does not

Post by Linuxmusician01 »

Welcome to these forums!

I've started up Rosegarden and the "welcome screen" says that it uses Jack for recording and playback. If you want I can try to "explain" in my own amateurish words what Jack is, but for now just assume that a lot of audio applications use it as their audio driver.

Anyway, first determine the number of your (preferred) audio card with this command:

Code: Select all

cat /proc/asound/cards

Output looks something like this:

0 [CMI8738        ]: CMI8738-MC6 - C-Media CMI8738
                      C-Media CMI8738 (model 55) at 0xd000, irq 20
 1 [PCH            ]: HDA-Intel - HDA Intel PCH
                      HDA Intel PCH at 0xf7c10000 irq 45
As you can see: I have two audio cards (devices) in my computer: number 0 and number 1. I start Jack for card number 1 like this:

jackd -d alsa --device hw:1
Now you try it. You will probably have many questions after this on how to use Jack in Rosegarden with all its cryptic device names, etc. Good luck! :)
thetotalchaos
Established Member

Re: Audacity works fine, Rosegarden does not

Post by thetotalchaos »

You should firstly start Jack, and secondly you should start Qsynth, with the soundfonts preloaded.
Sorry if this sounds repetitive, but i am concerned by your comparison with Audacity, because they work overall differently.
Personally i love Rosegarden. I love it, because of the unique approach and workflow. Its unlike any other DAWs.
You can listen to my music at: https://totalchaos-music.bandcamp.com/

Take a journey to wonderland with The Butterfly Effect 2016
https://totalchaos-music.bandcamp.com/a ... fly-effect