Ubuntu Studio Disco Dingo - performance data

What other apps and distros do you use to round out your studio?

Moderators: MattKingUSA, khz

millerthegorilla
Established Member

Ubuntu Studio Disco Dingo - performance data

Post by millerthegorilla »

Hi,
I've just started using ubuntu studio disco dingo, and can start a jack session using ubuntu studio controls, but am unable to find where there is a source of information regarding latency, dsp load and xruns.
There is some info available in ardour, but I used to use cadence and all of the information would be present. I would prefer to be able to know the information, if possible.

Is there some software that you can recommend that will display this information?

Many thanks in advance.
millerthegorilla
Established Member

Re: Ubuntu Studio Disco Dingo - performance data

I've just spun up ardour, using carla, on ubuntu studio. i also have one midi track that I am controlling with a midi keyboard, and a couple of audio plugins.
Ardour records the dsp as 72%.
Shurely not.....
Using kxstudio a similar set up would hit me with hardly anything in comparison, perhaps 20 percent at most.

Wow. I can also hear xruns when using midi, unfortunately, but since I am not recording with ardour, it is not informing me that they are xruns.

Its really important to have that type of information.

I am going to go through my ubuntu studio and try and cut out unnecessary services.
millerthegorilla
Established Member

Ok, I've just discovered that I can right click the stats at the top of ardour, and can choose xruns, to display that.

My buffers are at 100 percent, and my dsp load is maxing out at 100%, just from playing a couple of drum sounds through drumgizmo. Pants!
Michael Willis
Established Member

Post by Michael Willis »

millerthegorilla wrote: Using kxstudio a similar set up would hit me with hardly anything in comparison, perhaps 20 percent at most.
Is this observation based on your experience with kxstudio on the same hardware, it has anything else changed since then?