[SOLVED] PulseAudio issues on Mint 19.1

What other apps and distros do you use to round out your studio?

Moderators: MattKingUSA, khz

Death
Established Member

[SOLVED] PulseAudio issues on Mint 19.1

Post by Death »

Hey all.

I did a fresh install of Linux Mint 19.1 (Cinnamon) the other day and have been having some issues with the audio so am hoping you can help me out here..

When I boot the computer up, it appears as though pulseaudio hasn't started as there are no audio devices.

If I plug in my Focusrite 2i4 at the Mint login screen then login and then run

Code: Select all

pulseaudio
in the terminal, my onboard soundcard will appear in the audio devices but my 2i4 won't. The terminal will return these messages:

E: [pulseaudio] module.c: Failed to load module "module-alsa-card" (argument: "device_id="2" name="usb-Focusrite_Scarlett_2i4_USB-00" card_name="alsa_card.usb-Focusrite_Scarlett_2i4_USB-00" namereg_fail=false tsched=yes fixed_latency_range=no ignore_dB=no deferred_volume=yes use_ucm=yes card_properties="module-udev-detect.discovered=1""): initialization failed.

E: [pulseaudio] bluez5-util.c: GetManagedObjects() failed: org.freedesktop.DBus.Error.NoReply: Did not receive a reply. Possible causes include: the remote application did not send a reply, the message bus security policy blocked the reply, the reply timeout expired, or the network connection was broken.
If I login first then plugin the 2i4 then start pulseaudio from the terminal, the 2i4 will show up in the audio devices (with working sound) and the terminal will return this message:

E: [pulseaudio] bluez5-util.c: GetManagedObjects() failed: org.freedesktop.DBus.Error.NoReply: Did not receive a reply. Possible causes include: the remote application did not send a reply, the message bus security policy blocked the reply, the reply timeout expired, or the network connection was broken.
I should mention that I've got the Kxstudio repos installed and unlike last time I used Mint, I can't get Cadence working properly. I used to be able to run The ALSA bridge 'ALSA>PulseAudio>Jack (Plugin)' and also start the PulseAudio bridge on the PulseAudio tab. Now when I try this there is no sound and the terminal also returns this:

E: [pulseaudio] ltdl-bind-now.c: Failed to open module module-jack-sink.so: module-jack-sink.so: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory
E: [pulseaudio] module.c: Failed to open module "module-jack-sink".
E: [pulseaudio] ltdl-bind-now.c: Failed to open module module-jack-source.so: module-jack-source.so: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory
E: [pulseaudio] module.c: Failed to open module "module-jack-source".
Then when I try testing the left and right speakers from the Mint audio settings, the terminal returns this:

W: [pulseaudio] sink-input.c: Failed to create sink input: sink is suspended.
W: [pulseaudio] sink-input.c: Failed to create sink input: sink is suspended.
I see a few pointers in those error messages but I'm not really sure what it is that needs to be done here. I've never had this issue before and am pretty crap at setting up Linux audio :lol: Anyone know what's up?

Thanks!
Last edited by Death on Fri Jul 05, 2019 12:44 am, edited 1 time in total.
lilith
Established Member

Re: PulseAudio issues on Mint 19.1

Post by lilith »

Try

pulseaudio --start
to start it.
Do you have pulse audio volume control installed? There you can choose the audio device.

Are you maybe missing pulseaudio-module-jack ?
Death
Established Member

Post by Death »

lilith wrote:Try

pulseaudio --start
to start it.
Do you have pulse audio volume control installed? There you can choose the audio device.

Are you maybe missing pulseaudio-module-jack ?
Ok. I tried starting it that way in both scenarios again and everything's the same. I just didn't get terminal error messages this time. I do have that installed but it's not really been of any use in this situation. I'm able to get sound out of my 2i4 if I first login to Mint, start pulseaudio and then plug it in (which shouldn't be necessary to do in that order), but I just can't get Jack/Cadence working properly. There's no sound with them. I can't seem to start the pulseaudio bridge in Cadence like I used to. Not sure why that is.. Cheers.

Edit: Looks like it might've been pulseaudio-module-jack. I didn't see that in your message when I first replied. Just testing now :)
Death
Established Member

Post by Death »

Sorry to double post but it looks like that did the trick. Was able to plugin the 2i4 before logging in, and when I logged in, Jack had auto-started as it was supposed to and my sound worked right away with Jack sink as the audio device.

I love it when a fix is that simple! Made my day :D Thanks for the help! Hopefully that's the end of that issue. If there's any more trouble then I'll post back. Cheers.
lilith
Established Member

Post by lilith »

Great :lol: