Bottom end distorted on mp3's

What other apps and distros do you use to round out your studio?

Moderators: MattKingUSA, khz

hudkins
Established Member

Bottom end distorted on mp3's

Post by hudkins »

Ever since I got my new audio interface {Behringer UMS404HD) I've noticed the bottom end is distorted with mp3 files. Not severely but you can definitely hear it when a bass drum kicks on or a particularly strong bassline plays. This doesn't happen with other file types. I can push a lot more volume through other file formats before anything distorts. I don't know if it was my crappy former interface hiding it before. It was a Chinese no-name thing from Alieexpress I bought a long time ago. One plus with the new one is that I hear a lot more of the mix with the Behringer. Lesson learned.

I'm not using the fluendo plugin and I tried mp3gain to level out the files. mp3gain helped a little. The volume levels through my audio chain are all appropriate.

Any thoughts?
bluebell
Established Member

Re: Bottom end distorted on mp3's

Post by bluebell »

128 kBit/s and less?

I had distortions on the low end in mp3 with few instruments and a deep female voice. But these distortions could be heard on other equipment, too.

Convert them to wav, e.g. by dragging into Audacity. Distortions gone? Then it's your software player.

Linux – MOTU UltraLite AVB – Qtractor – http://suedwestlicht.saar.de/