[SOLVED] Other Software: vlc simple alternatives ?

What other apps and distros do you use to round out your studio?

Moderators: MattKingUSA, khz

jonetsu
Established Member

[SOLVED] Other Software: vlc simple alternatives ?

Post by jonetsu »

When using vlc on Linux MInt 18.1 there was always, at the beginning of every file, a short audio glitch being heard. Then it proceeded fine. Now with Xubuntu 18.04 LTS, that glitch is even more pronounced. When playing media using firefox (youtube) there's no such glitch. The audio is a pulseaudio sink to jackd. I tried 'parole' which seems to be the default with Xubuntu but it fails to play nicely and even jams the system a bit. Any suggestions regarding a simple media player ? By 'simple' I mean one that just play a file and does try to organize anything for you, or at least not too much.

Cheers.
Last edited by jonetsu on Wed Jan 30, 2019 1:19 am, edited 1 time in total.
Basslint
Established Member

Re: Other Software: vlc simple alternatives ?

Post by Basslint »

mpv?
The community of believers was of one heart and mind, and no one claimed that any of his possessions was his own, but they had everything in common. [Acts 4:32]

Please donate time (even bug reports) or money to libre software 🎁

Jam on openSUSE + GeekosDAW!
Nachei
Established Member

Post by Nachei »

My favorite was Aqualung, which had the exact number of features for me, but I haven't been able to find it recently, maybe it has been discontinued.

So I recently found Audacious, which is very simple to use, has a non-bloated interface, and yet it allows creating playlists, drag and drop of files... See if it works for you (although maybe it's too "frugal" for someone coming from VLC...)
milkii
Established Member

Post by milkii »

mvp, well maintained fork of mplayer2

they/them ta / libreav.org / wiki.thingsandstuff.org/Audio and related pages / gh

jonetsu
Established Member

Post by jonetsu »

Thanks for the suggestions. I've chosen mpv, if only because I have good memories of mplayer from a distant past.

And it turns out that mpv plays the files very clean right from the beginning. Snappy and fast in Xubuntu 18.04 LTS.

Cheers.