Distro with midi out of the box

What other apps and distros do you use to round out your studio?

Moderators: MattKingUSA, khz

vinnie

Distro with midi out of the box

Post by vinnie »

This is my first post, i try to ask a thing there because I'am totaly unexperted.
I'm looking for a distro that has midi working by default (then included soundfont and synthesizer configuration).
If it works even live it would be appreciated, so you can try it too.
If I understand ubuntu studio needs further configurations after being installed to make midi work
Lyberta
Established Member

Re: Distro with midi out of the box

Post by Lyberta »

For a basic MIDI setup you can try QSynth + QJackCtl. I dunno if there are distros that come with these preinstalled.
Linuxmusician01
Established Member

Post by Linuxmusician01 »

Midi works out of the box in every distro. It's supported by ALSA (Linux's sound driver). One just has to learn how to work w/ one's Midi gear in combination w/ a DAW and/or softsynth etc. Depends very much on what you want to do w/ Midi and what software (DAW) you want to use.

Good luck with Linux! :)
tavasti
Established Member

Post by tavasti »

vinnie wrote:This is my first post, i try to ask a thing there because I'am totaly unexperted.
I'm looking for a distro that has midi working by default (then included soundfont and synthesizer configuration).
Simplest way to have midi & synths working is to install LMMS. Soundfonts are not included there, but at least in Ubuntu, lmms package suggests fluid-soundfont-gm. There you have pretty many synths with presets, and it is nice DAW, but without audio recording capability.

Linux veteran & Novice musician

Latest track: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ycVrgGtrBmM

Linuxmusician01
Established Member

Post by Linuxmusician01 »

tavasti wrote:
vinnie wrote:This is my first post, i try to ask a thing there because I'am totaly unexperted.
Simplest way to have midi & synths working is to install LMMS. Soundfonts are not included there, but at least in Ubuntu, lmms package suggests fluid-soundfont-gm. There you have pretty many synths with presets, and it is nice DAW, but without audio recording capability.
Yep. Apart from choosing between Jack or ALSA for LMMS's audio. And I have a sneaking suspicion that the topic starter might have probs because of that. He states "In Windows it just worked". To me that screams Linux problems like Pulseaudio, Jack and ALSA. :)
wakoo
Established Member

Post by wakoo »

What about the latency with midi workflow? Almost with virtual instruments I never can avoid xruns.
Musicteacher
Established Member

Post by Musicteacher »

As this is not distro-specific, you'd probably be better off asking this in the "system tuning and configuration" sub:

viewforum.php?f=27

However, as a quick info: playing software synths with low lacency via a midi keyboard is definitely possible, so it is likely that you have done something wrong or your hardware is insufficient.