KXStudio --> to install or not to install? --> Better Options

What other apps and distros do you use to round out your studio?

Moderators: MattKingUSA, khz

sysrqer
Established Member

Re: KXStudio --> to install or not to install? --> Better Options

Post by sysrqer »

Luc wrote:April 2019 still gives you four months. Good enough for anyone to get started then upgrade when the new one comes.
I use plain Debian with KXStudio repositories and I don't even like Ubuntu, but it's just a matter of personal taste and I don't see any problem with support ending in April.
Upgrading from kxstudio 14.* to 18.* is a massive upgrade on many levels. It might be fine but it might not be. Telling someone to install something that is soon not going to be supported is not much different than telling them to install an old version of windows, any security flaws that come to light could be exploited and targeted in the same way. Of course, it could be said if you just need an audio workstation without internet it is fine and will probably work for many years but this isn't a very likely scenario and goes further than just personal taste.
Luc
Established Member

Post by Luc »

Personal taste is just why I don't like Ubuntu. No connection with the rest of the topic.

I still think that four months is fine. He can upgrade then or even a month later. No big deal. What else is he supposed to do until then?
sysrqer
Established Member

Post by sysrqer »

Luc wrote:He can upgrade then or even a month later. No big deal.
It is a big deal though, KDE alone between those versions is a huge difference, not to mention the substantial system program differences. Lots of ubuntu users don't even recommend upgrading from one major version to another, let alone two versions. It's not something to take lightly.
Luc wrote:What else is he supposed to do until then?
Like I said, install Neon and add the repo. You would get an up to date ubuntu base, very up to date and rolling version of KDE, and the kxstudio stuff you know and love. Except for theming it shouldn't be any different to what the new iso will be. The kxstudio package that sets audio settings will still work (can't remember the name of it now, default settings or something?) so it's a pretty simple process.
merlyn
Established Member

Post by merlyn »

sysrqer wrote: Unless something has changed recently you have to compile all the packages and add them individually and you are still lacking in some places (such as if you use the official ardour package from ardour some plugins will not show their gui, again unless this has changed recently).
Just to clear this up : you don't get KX repos for Arch. Arch has three main repos : Core, Extra and Community. There is a lot of audio software available in the Community repo, pre-compiled and ready to install with pacman. Here is a list.

To me the heart of KX Studio was Cadence, and you can get that. Ardour works well so far.
basementmedia
Established Member

Post by basementmedia »

Hi all,

due to your tips and the fact that my second monitor, which is connected via Displayport, was not recognized in KXStudio 14.04, I have now installed the following software in the following order:

1. Kubuntu 18.04
2. Added the KXRepositories
3. Cadence installed
4. libffado2, ffado-tools, ffado-mixer-qt4, jackd, jackd2, jackd2-firewire installed

Unfortunately, when I open Youtube for example, there is no sound to be heard yet, i.e. it seems that I still have to change something in the configuration of my audio interface (RME Fireface 800) (in Cadence?).

When I installed KXStudio 14.04. on my old computer, the Fireface worked immediately without any problems. Do you have a hint what exactly I need to set in Cadence to make Fireface work again?

Many greetings

Daniel
basementmedia
Established Member

Post by basementmedia »

Hi,

after a hard night of trying and crying i have the following problems:

In cadence i cannot start ALSA Audio. When i click on the Start button nothing happens (it remains stopped).
Bridge type is ALSA->Loop->Jack.
Is it possible that ALSA is not installed at all? I thought this would be installed with Cadence... how can I install ALSA?

In Catia i onyl see my fireface devices but i have no jack2alsa and alsa2jack connectors to connect.
Could this be related to the problem described above (no ALSA installed)?

I have then installed GIT and executed a realtimeConfigQucikScan
The scan says:

== GUI-enabled checks ==
Checking if you are root... no - good

Checking filesystem 'noatime' parameter... 4.15.0 kernel - good
(relatime is default since 2.6.30)

Checking CPU Governors... CPU 0: 'powersave' CPU 1: 'powersave' CPU 10: 'powersave' CPU 11: 'powersave' CPU 2: 'powersave' CPU 3: 'powersave' CPU 4: 'powersave' CPU 5: 'powersave' CPU 6: 'powersave' CPU 7: 'powersave' CPU 8: 'powersave' CPU 9: 'powersave' - not good
Set CPU Governors to 'performance' with 'cpufreq-set -c <cpunr> -g performance'
See also: http://linuxmusicians.com/viewtopic.php?f=27&t=844

When i execute "$ sudo cpufreq-set -c <cpunr> -g performance"
it says "bash: cpunr: File or directory not found "

Checking swappiness... 10 - good

Checking for resource-intensive background processes... none found - good

Checking checking sysctl inotify max_user_watches... < 524288 - not good
increase max_user_watches by adding 'fs.inotify.max_user_watches = 524288' to /etc/sysctl.conf and rebooting
For more information, see http://wiki.linuxaudio.org/wiki/system_ ... sysctlconf

I did this but have not restarted yet...hopefully it works after restart

Checking access to the high precision event timer... not readable - not good
/dev/hpet found, but not readable.
make /dev/hpet readable by the 'audio' group
For more information, see http://wiki.linuxaudio.org/wiki/system_ ... are_timers

Checking access to the real-time clock... not readable - not good
/dev/rtc found, but not readable.
make /dev/rtc readable by the 'audio' group
For more information, see http://wiki.linuxaudio.org/wiki/system_ ... are_timers

How can i do this? I don't understand the instructions on the linked page http://wiki.linuxaudio.org/wiki/system_ ... are_timers
I have created the nuew file 40-timer-permissions.rules in the directory "/etc/udev/rules.d/"
but when i type

cat /sys/class/rtc/rtc0/max_user_freq 64

in the Terminal it says

cat: 64: File or Directory not found

Checking whether you're in the 'audio' group... yes - good
Checking for multiple 'audio' groups... no - good
Checking the ability to prioritize processes with chrt... yes - good
Checking kernel support for high resolution timers... found - good

Kernel with Real-Time Preemption... not found - not good
Kernel without real-time capabilities found
For more information, see http://wiki.linuxaudio.org/wiki/system_ ... ime_kernel

I will try the linked instructions...hopefully it works

Checking if kernel system timer is high-resolution... found - good
Checking kernel support for tickless timer... found - good

It would be great if you could help me again to get my system running :?
I'm totally helpless...

Best regards

Daniel

Edit:
After a restart my Jack cannot be started.
The log says:

Sat Dec 15 12:08:36 2018: Controller activated. Version 1.9.12 (0+) built on Mon Oct 15 11:25:15 2018
Sat Dec 15 12:08:36 2018: Loading settings from "/home/basementmedia/.config/jack/conf.xml" using expat_2.2.5 ...
Sat Dec 15 12:08:36 2018: setting parameter 'engine':'driver':'(null)' to value "firewire"
Sat Dec 15 12:08:36 2018: setting parameter 'engine':'realtime-priority':'(null)' to value "85"
Sat Dec 15 12:08:36 2018: setting parameter 'drivers':'firewire':'rate' to value "44100"
Sat Dec 15 12:08:36 2018: setting parameter 'drivers':'firewire':'capture' to value "true"
Sat Dec 15 12:08:36 2018: setting parameter 'drivers':'firewire':'playback' to value "true"
Sat Dec 15 12:08:36 2018: setting parameter 'drivers':'firewire':'inchannels' to value "0"
Sat Dec 15 12:08:36 2018: setting parameter 'drivers':'firewire':'outchannels' to value "0"
Sat Dec 15 12:08:36 2018: Listening for D-Bus messages
Sat Dec 15 12:08:36 2018: Starting jack server...
Sat Dec 15 12:08:36 2018: JACK server starting in realtime mode with priority 85
Sat Dec 15 12:08:36 2018: self-connect-mode is "Don't restrict self connect requests"
Sat Dec 15 12:08:36 2018: ERROR: firewire ERR: FFADO: Error creating virtual device
Sat Dec 15 12:08:36 2018: ERROR: Cannot attach audio driver
Sat Dec 15 12:08:36 2018: ERROR: JackServer::Open failed with -1
Sat Dec 15 12:08:36 2018: ERROR: Failed to open server
Sat Dec 15 12:08:38 2018: Starting jack server...
Sat Dec 15 12:08:38 2018: JACK server starting in realtime mode with priority 85
Sat Dec 15 12:08:38 2018: self-connect-mode is "Don't restrict self connect requests"
Sat Dec 15 12:08:38 2018: ERROR: firewire ERR: FFADO: Error creating virtual device
Sat Dec 15 12:08:38 2018: ERROR: Cannot attach audio driver
Sat Dec 15 12:08:38 2018: ERROR: JackServer::Open failed with -1
Sat Dec 15 12:08:38 2018: ERROR: Failed to open server
khz
Established Member

Post by khz »

basementmedia wrote:When i click on the Start button nothing happens (it remains stopped).
Bridge type is ALSA->Loop->Jack.
Possibly: Is Pulseaudio installed?
viewtopic.php?f=27&t=18864
basementmedia wrote:how can I install ALSA
ALSA (driver) is in the kernel, if you have a kernel installed you also have ALSA.
basementmedia wrote:no jack2alsa and alsa2jack connectors to connect
Use 'a2j -e' instead of 'a2jmidid -e'.
The 1st option enables dbus.
? viewtopic.php?f=19&p=92293#p92293
basementmedia wrote:cpufreq-set -c <cpunr> -g performance

Code: Select all

cpufreq-set -c 0 -g performance
and -c 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, ...
basementmedia wrote:I did this but have not restarted yet...hopefully it works after restart
@max_user_watches
The "increase max_user_watches by adding 'fs.inotify.max_user_watches = 524288'" I find confusing. For a newcomer, perhaps even more confusing.
http://wiki.linuxaudio.org/wiki/system_ ... sysctlconf
There are references on the net on adjusting the fs.inotify.max_user_watches value also for enhanced performance. But it remains very unclear where these references come from and if adjusting this value actually does anything at all. The max_user_watches parameter sets the maximum number of files your system can monitor with inotify (which is part of the kernel) for changes. Setting this parameter too low results in inotify failing. Setting it too high can make inotify needlessly consume memory. Best is to not touch the default settings as setting this parameter is unrelated to performance in an audio context.
viewtopic.php?p=93108#p93108
basementmedia wrote:cat /sys/class/rtc/rtc0/max_user_freq 64

cat /proc/sys/dev/hpet/max-user-freq

cat /sys/class/rtc/rtc0/max_user_freq
basementmedia wrote:I will try the linked instructions...hopefully it works
RT Kernel: Which kernel should be installed? You can install/uninstall multiple kernels using the package manager. The kernel to be started can be selected (and tested) in the boot manager (Grub/...). viewtopic.php?f=26&t=9845&p=30105#p30105
. . . FZ - Does humor belongs in Music?
. . GNU/LINUX@AUDIO ~ /Wiki $ Howto.Info && GNU/Linux Debian installing >> Linux Audio Workstation LAW
  • I don't care about the freedom of speech because I have nothing to say.
basementmedia
Established Member

Post by basementmedia »

Hi,

PulseAudio is working (can be started via Cadence).

executing
$ a2j -e

says

"hardware ports export
--- enable export of hardware ports
DBus exception: org.gna.home.a2jmidid.error.bridge_running: Bridge is started
--- start
DBus exception: org.gna.home.a2jmidid.error.generic: a2j_start() failed."

When i click on ALSAAudio Start button the following message is logged:

Sat Dec 15 14:06:10 2018: Client 'cadence-aloop-daemon' with PID 3669 is out
Sat Dec 15 14:06:10 2018: New client 'cadence-aloop-daemon' with PID 3680
Sat Dec 15 14:06:10 2018: New client 'jack2alsa' with PID 3684
Sat Dec 15 14:06:10 2018: New client 'alsa2jack' with PID 3683
Sat Dec 15 14:06:10 2018: Client 'jack2alsa' with PID 3684 is out
Sat Dec 15 14:06:10 2018: ERROR: Cannot write socket fd = 69 err = Broken pipe
Sat Dec 15 14:06:10 2018: ERROR: CheckRes error
Sat Dec 15 14:06:10 2018: ERROR: Could not write notification
Sat Dec 15 14:06:10 2018: ERROR: ClientNotify fails name = jack2alsa notification = 1 val1 = 0 val2 = 0
Sat Dec 15 14:06:10 2018: Client 'alsa2jack' with PID 3683 is out
Sat Dec 15 14:06:11 2018: ERROR: Unknown source port in attempted (dis)connection src_name [alsa2jack:capture_1] dst_name [system:playback_1]
Sat Dec 15 14:06:11 2018: ERROR: Unknown source port in attempted (dis)connection src_name [alsa2jack:capture_2] dst_name [system:playback_2]
Sat Dec 15 14:06:12 2018: ERROR: Unknown destination port in attempted (dis)connection src_name [system:capture_1] dst_name [jack2alsa:playback_1]
Sat Dec 15 14:06:12 2018: ERROR: Unknown destination port in attempted (dis)connection src_name [system:capture_2] dst_name [jack2alsa:playback_2]
basementmedia
Established Member

Post by basementmedia »

OK, now it seems that the system is working.
When i start PulseAudio in Cadence the System Sounds (like Youtube, etc.) work.
In Harrison Mixbus 32C (which i use for Mixing) Playback works (Using the Jack Driver.

Is it anyway important to solve the last three Problems:

1. RealTimeTest-Result:
"Checking access to the high precision event timer... not readable - not good
/dev/hpet found, but not readable.
make /dev/hpet readable by the 'audio' group"

and

"Checking access to the real-time clock... not readable - not good
/dev/rtc found, but not readable.
make /dev/rtc readable by the 'audio' group"

But how can i make them readable?

The explanation on "http://wiki.linuxaudio.org/wiki/system_ ... are_timers" I don't understand... ;-(
Can someone explain it easier?

I still have not changed the kernel because i just don't know
- if this is really necessary. As said, now i can playback System Sound and Sound out of my Mixbus App.
- Which of the kernels is the one to be chosen? If you write "you can use every kernel and test it" i anyway don't know which one is the right one ;-(
My current Kernel is 4.8.15 Generic.

ALSA can still not be started -> Maybe this is related to the (not realtime-) Kernel? Can i test, if ALSA is installed?
Do i need ALSA?
merlyn
Established Member

Post by merlyn »

basementmedia wrote:4. libffado2, ffado-tools, ffado-mixer-qt4, jackd, jackd2, jackd2-firewire installed
I don't think you want jackd and jackd2 at the same time.

Have you installed kxstudio-default-settings ?

You can install KX meta packages : https://kxstudio.linuxaudio.org/Documen ... a-Packages
merlyn
Established Member

Post by merlyn »

basementmedia wrote:OK, now it seems that the system is working.
Well done!
sysrqer
Established Member

Post by sysrqer »

You can install the low-latency kernel, you should find the linux-lowlatency package easily.
khz
Established Member

Post by khz »

basementmedia wrote:I have created the nuew file 40-timer-permissions.rules in the directory "/etc/udev/rules.d/"
and that's put in?
(nano:

nano /etc/udev/rules.d/40-timer-permissions.rules
)

KERNEL=="rtc0", GROUP="audio"
KERNEL=="hpet", GROUP="audio"
"F2" "yes" "enter"
basementmedia wrote:I still have not changed the kernel because i just don't know

apt-cache search linux-image
basementmedia wrote:- Which of the kernels is the one to be chosen? If you write "you can use every kernel and test it" i anyway don't know which one is the right one ;-(
The one that works best. With Nvidia graphics card a low latency kernel, otherwise an RT kernel.

Very important entry:

echo "@audio - rtprio 90" >> /etc/security/limits.conf && echo "@audio - memlock unlimited" >> /etc/security/limits.conf
https://wiki.linuxaudio.org/wiki/system ... faudioconf
basementmedia wrote:ALSA can still not be started -> Maybe this is related to the (not realtime-) Kernel? Can i test, if ALSA is installed?
Do i need ALSA?
ALSA - your sound card driver - is in the kernel. You would have to uninstall the kernel to remove ALSA.
. . . FZ - Does humor belongs in Music?
. . GNU/LINUX@AUDIO ~ /Wiki $ Howto.Info && GNU/Linux Debian installing >> Linux Audio Workstation LAW
  • I don't care about the freedom of speech because I have nothing to say.
millerthegorilla
Established Member

Post by millerthegorilla »

To get alsa aloop working, make sure snd-aloop module is installed. sudo modprobe snd-aloop
To do this permanently, add snd-aloop to /etc/modules or similar (/etc/modules.d/alsa-snd-aloop.conf)
Also check /etc/security/limits.d/audio.conf or similar for the memory unlock stuff. I dont' have it to hand, but ask on kxstudio forum.
nikgnomicradio
Established Member

Post by nikgnomicradio »

Not all Arch distributions require building KX packages from AUR
KX packages are available from Manjaro community repository

AVLinux has KX repositories already added, probably best choice alternative to KX ISO at this time