Any MIDI file 'stripper'?

What other apps and distros do you use to round out your studio?

Moderators: MattKingUSA, khz

treii28

Any MIDI file 'stripper'?

Post by treii28 »

I had to modify a midi file because I wanted to make it into a small loop. I used Rosegarden and it added a lot of unwanted metadata to the front of the file adding about 20% to the total size. Is there either a way to prevent rosegarden from adding it's name and url and other crap to the front of an exported midi file and/or to strip that crap out after it's exported? e.g. "Created by Rosegarden" or "https://www.rosegardenmusic.com/" and "Copyright (c) xxxx Copyright...." etc.

further details:
My reason for wanting to make such a small loop was to make the file as small as possible for an embedded device that is already using a program that has a simple wave-table midi player. Since the midi player is already available in the code for this library, I wanted to set a default sound to play while the program is initializing/testing a number of other pieces of hardware when it is starting up. The first thing that is going to be initialized is an SD card reader. If I get the SD card reader, I don't even need the midi file as I can then use much larger file sizes and play them through a DAC. (such as mp3 files or wav files)
But I would like to program in either a basic fallback using the midi file or use the midi file to signify load progress 'before' the mp3 file is accessible on SD. I may even encode the midi file as binary and put it as a data structure right in the code. Which means all that extra crap is just taking up critical space on these little devices.