[SOLVED] Dual Boot Windows install AFTER Linux??

What other apps and distros do you use to round out your studio?

Moderators: MattKingUSA, khz

protozone
Established Member

[SOLVED] Dual Boot Windows install AFTER Linux??

Post by protozone »

Is it possible to be able to install Windows 7 or 10 AFTER installing Linux, for a dual boot scenario?

I have read that Windows installers erase all other OSes. :shock: Is there any way around this situation?
I really like my Linux and don't want to lose it, but there's a few programs I'd like to run on a fresh Windows 7 too.
Any ideas?
Last edited by protozone on Wed May 30, 2018 5:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Michael Willis
Established Member

Re: Dual Boot Windows install AFTER Linux??

Post by Michael Willis »

Well, it is certainly possible, but that doesn't mean it is easy. I imagine you could put in a separate ssd or hard drive, remove the one with Linux, install Windows on the new one, and then put back in the one with Linux, and then configure the boot loader to give you the option of starting Windows from the second storage device.
wjl
Established Member

Post by wjl »

If you had installed Linux using UEFI, it would probably be doable. One of the nice things of it is that different OS don't overwrite each others' boot sectors anymore.

That said, I have no idea on how this could be achieved. Like so many others who still need that other system from time to time, I installed it first (using UEFI boot). Then came my Debian. Both coexist beautifully since a while.
more about me on my blog
sysrqer
Established Member

Post by sysrqer »

Yeah I've done it. It's not problematic at all exept that, as far as I remember, windows overwrites the grub or messes it up somehow so you just need to boot in to live linux, chroot in to your install and update the grub. There might be an easier way to do it but that worked for me.
Lyberta
Established Member

Post by Lyberta »

If you have UEFI I suggest dumping GRUB and using rEFInd. It will scan the system for UEFI bootloaders and will certainly find Windows installation. I have 2 PCs that dualboot Windows and Debian and rEFInd does wonders, it can even detect bootable USB drives.

If you are afraid of losing GNU/Linux partition, you can boot from a live system and dd the partition to external drive. Then you can dd it back if you will get it corrupt.
Michael Willis
Established Member

Post by Michael Willis »

Lyberta wrote:I have 2 PCs that dualboot Windows
Based on prior conversation, I'm amazed that you run any proprietary OS at all.
protozone
Established Member

SOLVED

Post by protozone »

Wow guys, thanks! You've really helped me out. I hadn't before considered those decent approaches. I will think about it.
I'm not totally sold on going back to Windows; it's so much work, yet like I said, there's a few programs I might want to buy that are windows-only. It really depends upon my budget now, I guess. Thanks.
Lyberta
Established Member

Post by Lyberta »

Michael Willis wrote:Based on prior conversation, I'm amazed that you run any proprietary OS at all.
Those PCs are dad's and he needs Windows to work. I'd never run Windows on mine.
hucasys
Established Member

Re: [SOLVED] Dual Boot Windows install AFTER Linux??

Post by hucasys »

Hey, I have also thought of dual booting Win 10 and my KXstudio, but I've read you should install windows first, regarding the reasons why, as usual, the lack of Linux version for many pluggins and most DAWs.
Nice to see there are options to install Win for dual boot, though they did make me sick to my stomach a bit..... :cry:
david121

Re: [SOLVED] Dual Boot Windows install AFTER Linux??

Post by david121 »

I wish I saw this information sooner
Hello guys, I'm Tom from JSON formatter team ( at https://jsonformatter-online.com/ ). Our projects are: http://rolltheball.co and http://impossiblegame.co . Hope your help, thank you!