Installing Melodyne

What other apps and distros do you use to round out your studio?

Moderators: MattKingUSA, khz

Cehikms

Installing Melodyne

Post by Cehikms »

Hello,

I'm looking to install the trial version of Melodyne: http://www.celemony.com/en/trial

I've installed PlayOnLinux, kxstudio, and attempted to install wineasio(but couldn't get this to work), as well as airwave(couldn't get this to work either)

When I try to open up Melodyne I get the following message: Installation Error. Melodyne 4.1.1 (b 011) has encountered a problem that prevents it from loading properly. Please contact Celemony Software GmbH for further assistance. (-6/3/0)

I've figured many people on this forum have gotten Melodyne to work using wine. I'd appreciate it if someone would post a full install guide, so I could get it fully running on Ubuntu 17.10.
wolftune
Established Member

Re: Installing Melodyne

Post by wolftune »

Why would you assume people here have gotten Melodyne to work??

I've been trying over the years and never got it to successfully run under wine.
Aaron Wolf
Music teacher, scholar
http://wolftune.com
Taika-Kim
Established Member

Post by Taika-Kim »

The problem might be the copy protection. I have heard that versions without it work quite perfectly with Wine. This is a shame with many programs, preventing Linux users from purchasing :/
wolftune
Established Member

Post by wolftune »

I have legal version and *think* that I got the copy-protection solved and that wasn't the issue… I can't say for sure that it's unrelated
Aaron Wolf
Music teacher, scholar
canezila
Established Member

Post by canezila »

I have been using the essential version for 2 years. I use codeweaver crossover Linux. It's a variation and alt development of wine. It does cost money.

Wineasio does not work on this version because I just don't know enough about how to set up the wine prefix to point to the..cxoffice wine version to reg the Wineasio. It might be possible.

But for my needs (elementary education) it works very well. Just know that there is a huge difference without Wineasio as I guess you know.

Finally, I will double check, but I think I had it working with wine rt and Wineasio. I will get back to you on that.
canezila
Established Member

Post by canezila »

I have been using the essential version for 2 years. I use codeweaver crossover Linux. It's a variation and alt development of wine. It does cost money.

Wineasio does not work on this version because I just don't know enough about how to set up the wine prefix to point to the..cxoffice wine version to reg the Wineasio. It might be possible.

But for my needs (elementary education) it works very well. Just know that there is a huge difference without Wineasio as I guess you know.

Finally, I will double check, but I think I had it working with wine rt and Wineasio. I will get back to you on that.
canezila
Established Member

Post by canezila »

It works.

Think it needs an additional crappy windows. Net... Like 2.0 or something.

Codeweaver works without Wineasio
canezila
Established Member

Post by canezila »

wolftune
Established Member

Post by wolftune »

Does anyone have it working with just Wine (not with the Codeweavers software)?

I always get this error at the final step of installing: https://paste.ubuntu.com/p/3RyY5c2SJY/

Melodyne shows up in Wine though, but when I try to run it, I get a pop-up saying "Melodyne has encountered a problem that prevents it from loading properly." and says to contact Celemony for assistance (but I doubt they'd assist me in getting it working with Wine…)

I'm using the full Melodyne Studio…
Aaron Wolf
Music teacher, scholar
Shupacabras
Established Member

Post by Shupacabras »

Hi,
No, only worked with wine 1.0
I have chosen to use a virtual machine for melodyne.
Regards
oddy.o.lynx
Established Member

Post by oddy.o.lynx »

I would like to confirm that I have Melodyne working with LinVST using the 64 bit VST2 DLL in a few Native Linux DAW's as well as using the Windows VST3 version in the Windows 64bit version of Reaper using WINE.

So far it looks to be running very well with few xruns. The rare xruns happen when opening or closing the app.

I am using KXStudio repositories with wine-rt.

melodyne.linux.02.jpg
melodyne.linux.02.jpg (116.05 KiB) Viewed 3715 times
Jack Winter
Established Member

Post by Jack Winter »

What installer did you use to install melodyne?

I've tried this a few times over the years and had it working in wine many years ago, but so far I didn't manage to get it working again. Will try again with the latest wine and melodyne installers. Just the plugin or the full version too?

Edit: I just got the plugin working. Happy about this, as sometimes I really could have used it :)
Reaper/KDE/Archlinux. i7-2600k/16GB + i7-4700HQ/16GB, RME Multiface/Babyface, Behringer X32, WA273-EQ, 2 x WA-412, ADL-600, Tegeler TRC, etc 8) For REAPER on Linux information: https://wiki.cockos.com/wiki/index.php/REAPER_for_Linux
wolftune
Established Member

Post by wolftune »

don't know what changed, but I installed the Studio update and it worked today for the first time! Maybe it was a Wine update or a change on Melodyne or something else. But YAY!

That said, all I can do is import WAV files, no way to get it to connect to my audio system for input. But I can still manage that way, just have to record separately and then load into Melodyne and then export.

I understand there's a plugin version which seems to be what others are running. That works as a VST, so it could be loaded via Carla or something?
Aaron Wolf
Music teacher, scholar
eric71
Established Member

Post by eric71 »

Following on this - with REAPER's coming support for ARA2 (it is in prereleases currently) and the recent release of Melodyne 4.2 which includes ARA2 support - has anyone who has had success with Melodyne in wine tested the latest version in the latest linux REAPER prerelease? I've only played with it in WIndows so far...
eric71
Established Member

Post by eric71 »

eric71 wrote:Following on this - with REAPER's coming support for ARA2 (it is in prereleases currently) and the recent release of Melodyne 4.2 which includes ARA2 support - has anyone who has had success with Melodyne in wine tested the latest version in the latest linux REAPER prerelease? I've only played with it in WIndows so far...
Disregard this question (and considering it has been a few days, it seems most already have :P ) - the REAPER ARA2 integration with Melodyne is only with VST3. Since there is no way to wrap windows VST3 (like linvst, etc.) as of yet, I would guess this one is not possible...