AVLinux 2018 and UEFI

What other apps and distros do you use to round out your studio?

Moderators: MattKingUSA, khz

lilith
Established Member

AVLinux 2018 and UEFI

Post by lilith »

Hi guys,

I'm tinking about giving AVL a try. I read the manual and it seems like that the 64bit version is uefi ready. Is it straightforward or is it still more experimental, i.e. might work or not?

If the board offers legacy mode is it better then to use the 64bit version with uefi disabled?

Thanks
GMaq
Established Member

Re: AVLinux 2018 and UEFI

Post by GMaq »

lilith wrote:Hi guys,

I'm tinking about giving AVL a try. I read the manual and it seems like that the 64bit version is uefi ready. Is it straightforward or is it still more experimental, i.e. might work or not?

If the board offers legacy mode is it better then to use the 64bit version with uefi disabled?

Thanks
Hi,

If you have the option of legacy mode that is the best known way to install, I don't have any UEFI hardware machines because my systems are all too old so the only way I have of personally testing UEFI was in Virtualbox, many users seem to get it installed with UEFI but definitely legacy is better known and what Systemback (the installer) was originally intended to work with. It's not really 'experimental' just much less tested.

I will say in Virtualbox at least UEFI boots significantly slower than legacy, once booted the system runs the same on both.

Have you tried a LiveDVD or USB key to see if AVL works with your system? That is the best way to get an idea before making the big plunge. :)
lilith
Established Member

Post by lilith »

Hi Glenn,

thanks for your answer. I took the safe way and installed Debian 9 Stretch and added the KXStudio repositories. Now I want to install a lowlatency kernel for Debian and wonder how to do that. Can you or someone else point me to a website, etc. where such a procedure is described?

Best,
Marco
GMaq
Established Member

Post by GMaq »

lilith wrote:Hi Glenn,

thanks for your answer. I took the safe way and installed Debian 9 Stretch and added the KXStudio repositories. Now I want to install a lowlatency kernel for Debian and wonder how to do that. Can you or someone else point me to a website, etc. where such a procedure is described?

Best,
Marco
Here is one way for both lowlatency and RT kernels: http://bandshed.net/forum/index.php?topic=3719.0

Debian also ships their own RT Preempt Kernels in the Stretch Repositories, look for the 'linux-image-rt' in Synaptic.

Another popular 3rd party lowlatency kernel is 'Liquorix': https://liquorix.net/
lilith
Established Member

Post by lilith »

Thank you, I installed the debian RT kernel.
annashetty

Post by annashetty »

Looks good. Thanks for all your hard work
nils
Established Member

Post by nils »

I configured my version of AV Linux with some installs and deinstalls and then installed it to an USB stick. Not a live system but a real install, so all my data and configuration is properly saved.

This works fine for my own computers, however I need it to run on laptops that don't have any legacy boot mode and not even the option to enter the UEFI boot shell.

Is there any way I can make that work?
Lyberta
Established Member

Post by Lyberta »

nilshi wrote:I configured my version of AV Linux with some installs and deinstalls and then installed it to an USB stick. Not a live system but a real install, so all my data and configuration is properly saved.

This works fine for my own computers, however I need it to run on laptops that don't have any legacy boot mode and not even the option to enter the UEFI boot shell.

Hmm, legacy mode requires MBR while UEFI requires GPT. So I think it is impossible in general case.
nils
Established Member

Post by nils »

UEFI exclusive would be good enough for me. It is always the same (Windows) Laptop that I need to run it on.
GMaq
Established Member

Post by GMaq »

nilshi wrote:I configured my version of AV Linux with some installs and deinstalls and then installed it to an USB stick. Not a live system but a real install, so all my data and configuration is properly saved.

You can't install from a USB Key made with DD as per the manual instructions?
nils
Established Member

Post by nils »

GMaq wrote:

You can't install from a USB Key made with DD as per the manual instructions?
Sorry, I was unclear. Let me rephrase the problem from what I already know, not jumping to UEFI vs BIOS conclusions too early.

I have a working system, which I installed with the normal image, dd to an USB stick. I configured that system a bit, mostly installing new software and deleting other. I consider this my master system, which I want to install on other computers.

Variant A) This works already fine: Installing permanently to another computer: I created an install medium with systemback which I used to install that system to various computers hard drive. All of them had a normal BIOS and not UEFI, but that doesn't matter here.

Variant B) I want this: Basically Variant A again, but this time instead of installing to a hard drive I am installing to an USB stick. GRUB is installed to the USB stick as well. This is different from a live system as it saves all changes, configs in particular. With a live system the (user) configs reset each time. You have to configure Ardour each reboot, let it search for plugins etc.

This USB instead of Hard Drive works fine as well on a "reasonable" computer. However, there is one "Gaming Laptop" that for some reasons booted from the live USB stick but not from my installed system. The USB stick doesn't even show up it its boot device selector (while the Live system on the very same USB stick previously worked).

Can anyone help me to find the difference in what an installed system does vs the live stick and why that is already spotted by a computers BIOS/UEFi so it doesn't even OFFER booting from the medium.
Lyberta
Established Member

Post by Lyberta »

nilshi wrote:Can anyone help me to find the difference in what an installed system does vs the live stick and why that is already spotted by a computers BIOS/UEFi so it doesn't even OFFER booting from the medium.
That is a known bug on many early UEFI implementations. First, I recommend to forget about GRUB and use rEFInd as boot manager. It is amazing. It scans for UEFI devices at launch and detects pretty much everything. It also can have manual entries. I use manual entries because all of my discs are encrypted.

In order to have USB stick that will boot on most PCs you need to have boot manager at /EFI/boot/bootx64.efi on the EFI System Partition.

Here's how ESP looks on my USB stick:

Code: Select all

$ tree
└── EFI
    ├── boot
    │   ├── BOOT.CSV
    │   ├── bootx64.efi
    │   ├── drivers_x64
    │   │   └── ext4_x64.efi
    │   ├── icons
    │   │   ├── arrow_left.png
    │   │   ├── arrow_right.png
    │   │   ├── boot_linux.png
    │   │   ├── boot_win.png
    │   │   ├── func_about.png
    │   │   ├── func_csr_rotate.png
    │   │   ├── func_exit.png
    │   │   ├── func_firmware.png
    │   │   ├── func_hidden.png
    │   │   ├── func_reset.png
    │   │   ├── func_shutdown.png
    │   │   ├── mouse.png
    │   │   ├── os_arch.png
    │   │   ├── os_centos.png
    │   │   ├── os_chakra.png
    │   │   ├── os_chrome.png
    │   │   ├── os_clover.png
    │   │   ├── os_crunchbang.png
    │   │   ├── os_debian.png
    │   │   ├── os_devuan.png
    │   │   ├── os_elementary.png
    │   │   ├── os_fedora.png
    │   │   ├── os_freebsd.png
    │   │   ├── os_frugalware.png
    │   │   ├── os_gentoo.png
    │   │   ├── os_gummiboot.png
    │   │   ├── os_haiku.png
    │   │   ├── os_hwtest.png
    │   │   ├── os_kubuntu.png
    │   │   ├── os_legacy.png
    │   │   ├── os_linuxmint.png
    │   │   ├── os_linux.png
    │   │   ├── os_lubuntu.png
    │   │   ├── os_mac.png
    │   │   ├── os_mageia.png
    │   │   ├── os_mandriva.png
    │   │   ├── os_netbsd.png
    │   │   ├── os_network.png
    │   │   ├── os_opensuse.png
    │   │   ├── os_redhat.png
    │   │   ├── os_refind.png
    │   │   ├── os_refit.png
    │   │   ├── os_slackware.png
    │   │   ├── os_suse.png
    │   │   ├── os_trusty.png
    │   │   ├── os_ubuntu.png
    │   │   ├── os_unknown.png
    │   │   ├── os_win8.png
    │   │   ├── os_win.png
    │   │   ├── os_xenial.png
    │   │   ├── os_xubuntu.png
    │   │   ├── os_zesty.png
    │   │   ├── README
    │   │   ├── tool_apple_rescue.png
    │   │   ├── tool_fwupdate.png
    │   │   ├── tool_memtest.png
    │   │   ├── tool_mok_tool.png
    │   │   ├── tool_netboot.png
    │   │   ├── tool_part.png
    │   │   ├── tool_rescue.png
    │   │   ├── tool_shell.png
    │   │   ├── tool_windows_rescue.png
    │   │   ├── transparent.png
    │   │   ├── vol_external.png
    │   │   ├── vol_internal.png
    │   │   ├── vol_net.png
    │   │   └── vol_optical.png
    │   ├── keys
    │   │   ├── altlinux.cer
    │   │   ├── canonical-uefi-ca.der
    │   │   ├── centos.cer
    │   │   ├── fedora-ca.cer
    │   │   ├── microsoft-kekca-public.der
    │   │   ├── microsoft-pca-public.der
    │   │   ├── microsoft-uefica-public.der
    │   │   ├── openSUSE-UEFI-CA-Certificate-4096.cer
    │   │   ├── openSUSE-UEFI-CA-Certificate.cer
    │   │   ├── refind.cer
    │   │   ├── refind_local.cer
    │   │   ├── refind_local.crt
    │   │   └── SLES-UEFI-CA-Certificate.cer
    │   └── refind.conf
    └── debian
        ├── initrd.img
        ├── refind_linux.conf
        └── vmlinuz
I created my USB stick by using debootstrap. I need to have kernel and initramfs on ESP in order to mount LUKS partition with /.
korakios
Established Member

Post by korakios »

I customized a bit the AVL2018 iso to boot in uefi . :D
If anyone is interested ,check at avl forum
http://bandshed.net/forum/index.php?top ... g24588#new
dillon
Established Member

Post by dillon »

korakios wrote:I customized a bit the AVL2018 iso to boot in uefi . :D
If anyone is interested ,check at avl forum
http://bandshed.net/forum/index.php?top ... g24588#new
Hey korakios can you reupload that somewhere else? They have completely stopped downloads of your iso, due to heavy bandwidth lol.

I gave you signup under your referral even! I was sad to see it’s not available.
korakios
Established Member

Post by korakios »

Hi @dillon,
Thanks for the support :)

So, since you created an account ,isn’t there an option somewhere to add the iso to your account to bypass the bandwidth limit ?

I’ll contact with pCloud team to check it. If it doesn’t work I’ll try uploading a new link ,but my upload speed is 80 kbs max so it will take some days
Last edited by korakios on Sun Jun 17, 2018 5:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.