Guitar signal software-effects post processing

What other apps and distros do you use to round out your studio?

Moderators: MattKingUSA, khz

fretski
Established Member

Guitar signal software-effects post processing

Post by fretski »

Sheeesh! I do't even know if that's the way to describe it.

Is there any (preferably Linux) software that allows me to input a clean .WAV file and THEN transform the tone as if it had been plugged into such a stomp-box while being recorded? This could be standalone or some sort of Audacity plug-in, just poking around for ideas. I find that experimenting with signal hardware (my Me80 for example) is extremely time consuming and I would like to find a much faster way to at least hit the ballpark numbers via a recorded-signal editor effects board.
fretski
Established Member

Re: Guitar signal software-effects post processing

Post by fretski »

Ideally not only would I see a wave editing feature but a LIVE one at that as in moving assorted effects-sliders WHILE the file is playing.

Waaaaay too much to ask I guess?
fretski
Established Member

Post by fretski »

42low wrote:You think? :mrgreen: You'll be surprices. 8)

I myself sometimes plug my guitar amp in my mixer board, en than send the sound to a track in Ardour (DAW) on which already sound effects (plugins) are active. And than the sound with effects can be monitored real-time. You can add it later. You can delete it later. You can alter it later. You can stack effects, which you can also add, delete, alter. GET A DAW! Like Ardour for instance (my favorit).

And? Surpriced?

I want to first record a clean signal and THEN process it after it has been saved. Does Ardour let me do that? I've heard rumors that maybe GuitarRig5 does but I avoid the sound of breaking glass.
barbouze
Established Member

Post by barbouze »

You can record your clean signal in Ardour and then use the lv2 version of Guitarix plugins to emulate a full stack of preamps/FXs/cabinets :D
fretski
Established Member

Post by fretski »

Thank you everyone, it looks like I CAN do what I want to do and in THAT case I have no problem with learning a package or even paying for it.
Luc
Established Member

Post by Luc »

Guitarix is what you want. But check out Rakarrack, too. It's definitely interesting.
fretski
Established Member

Post by fretski »

Luc wrote:Guitarix is what you want. But check out Rakarrack, too. It's definitely interesting.
I've started looking at Guitarix, Rakarrack is unmaintained (done4) unless I missed something. The Linux distros are evolving so fast that any package that stops being active quickly becomes unusable. This is what happened to me with GooglEarth-5.2, I could use up to Suse-13.2 with a workaround but can no longer do so in tumbleweed. I did load Rakarrack once and I think I even got sound out of it but that was a year or more ago.
tramp
Established Member

Post by tramp »

fretski wrote:I've started looking at Guitarix, Rakarrack is unmaintained (done4) unless I missed something.
But, Rakarrack is now maintained as set of LV2 plugins.
https://github.com/ssj71/rkrlv2

They comes with the module presets from rakarrack,
you could load them (most of them) into guitarix or your DAW of choice.
Don't know if they are packed for tumbleweed, but worse a check.
On the road again.
fretski
Established Member

Post by fretski »

tramp wrote:
fretski wrote:I've started looking at Guitarix, Rakarrack is unmaintained (done4) unless I missed something.
But, Rakarrack is now maintained as set of LV2 plugins.
https://github.com/ssj71/rkrlv2

They comes with the module presets from rakarrack,
you could load them (most of them) into guitarix or your DAW of choice.
Don't know if they are packed for tumbleweed, but worse a check.
i didn't know that, thanks!
tramp
Established Member

Post by tramp »

And, this day's you could load even guitarix as plugin into your DAW:
viewtopic.php?f=48&t=18280#p91013

The advance of it is that you could play live with low latency with guitarix to create your presets (effect-stack), later you could reuse them in your DAW with higher latency settings to process your recordings.
On the road again.
fretski
Established Member

Post by fretski »

tramp wrote:And, this day's you could load even guitarix as plugin into your DAW:
viewtopic.php?f=48&t=18280#p91013

The advance of it is that you could play live with low latency with guitarix to create your presets (effect-stack), later you could reuse them in your DAW with higher latency settings to process your recordings.
I got it working on Suse-13.2 and have managed to take a few steps with it. Even got some very faintly noticeable sound 'changes' too weak to pin down.

The black interface really makes it unusable for me (bright sunlit study) except at night

My Boss-Me80 "is" my audio interface so at best I can pipe a clean but probably somewhat powered signal into the sound-card. Just wondering if this could be the cause of the weak "effect imprinting".

Nice 'rig', could be worth the learning curve. How exactly would I go about applying any effect to an existing .wav guitar track via Audacity or directly in Guitarix?
tramp
Established Member

Post by tramp »

fretski wrote:My Boss-Me80 "is" my audio interface so at best I can pipe a clean but probably somewhat powered signal into the sound-card. Just wondering if this could be the cause of the weak "effect imprinting".
First, you need to ensure that your clean guitar signal ain't go to the playback, when you would do live processing. Means, you must check that you can't hear your guitar, without connect the capture port with the playback port in Qjackctl (or cadence or what ever you use.) Therefore open your alsamixer and lock for a control for capture (PCM) or what ever, and mute it, try as long as you can't hear your guitar coming to the speakers. Then start jack and connect capture with playback, now you must hear your guitar. When you've got that, you are ready for live processing.
fretski wrote: How exactly would I go about applying any effect to an existing .wav guitar track via Audacity or directly in Guitarix?
I prefer mhwaveedit for playing files to jack. Audacity is a pain in the ass for working with jack aware applications. You need to connect the output of your file player with the input of guitarix, and disconnect the output direct to the playback (from your file player.

Other then that, guitarix comes with a module called livelooper, there you could load your file and play it direct in guitarix. When you use this module in first place it's like being the input.
On the road again.
fretski
Established Member

Post by fretski »

When I launch guitarix I get this warning, seems like a limiting but not a disabling problem?
guitarx-memlock.png
guitarx-memlock.png (24 KiB) Viewed 1828 times
tramp wrote:First, you need to ensure that your clean guitar signal ain't go to the playback, when you would do live processing. Means, you must check that you can't hear your guitar, without connect the capture port with the playback port in Qjackctl (or cadence or what ever you use.) Therefore open your alsamixer and lock for a control for capture (PCM) or what ever, and mute it, try as long as you can't hear your guitar coming to the speakers. Then start jack and connect capture with playback, now you must hear your guitar. When you've got that, you are ready for live processing.
I will revisit this for live processing in due time but for now I see no way to mute Line-In either using Pulse or the Xonar sound-card. The image is a combined one, the inset is actually from the second screenshot with Xonar selected instead of Pulse. With the guitar plugged into the Me80, and the Me80 into the card Line-In, the only time I cannot hear the guitar is when the me80 is OFF. The sound does get louder though sometimes when the outport System gets connected to the inports GxAmp AND GxFx.
alsa-pulse-xonar.png
alsa-pulse-xonar.png (233.62 KiB) Viewed 1828 times
tramp wrote:I prefer mhwaveedit for playing files to jack. Audacity is a pain in the ass for working with jack aware applications. You need to connect the output of your file player with the input of guitarix,
Downloaded and installed mhwaveedit. I can load an audio file into it, connect it in qJackCtl to Guitarix, and play the file and hear it.
tramp wrote:Iand disconnect the output direct to the playback (from your file player.
I don't understand this one, in Audacity it would be called 'playthrough'?

tramp wrote:Other then that, guitarix comes with a module called livelooper, there you could load your file and play it direct in guitarix. When you use this module in first place it's like being the input.
This one sounds interesting too but I don't see any guitarix menu called live anything except Options>LiveDisplay & Options>LivePlayMidiSwitch. Can anyone expand on this?

Thanks
tramp
Established Member

Post by tramp »

fretski wrote:When I launch guitarix I get this warning, seems like a limiting but not a disabling problem?
Yes, it means your system isn't set up properly for realtime use.
Also I see in this screeny that you use a somewhat old version of guitarix.
I can't really remember if the livelooper is implemented in that old version already.
fretski wrote:Downloaded and installed mhwaveedit. I can load an audio file into it, connect it in qJackCtl to Guitarix, and play the file and hear it.
The connections been wrong. It should be mhwaveedit -> gx_head_amp -> gx_head_fx -> playback.
fretski wrote:I will revisit this for live processing in due time but for now I see no way to mute Line-In either using Pulse or the Xonar sound-card.
Keep in mind, when you playback your guitar directly to the system output, you'll bypass the processing software. Means you'll end up with a weak/mixed signal.
fretski wrote:I don't understand this one, in Audacity it would be called 'playthrough'?
Don't know, I must admit that I ain't use audacity, since long time now, I use Ardour for multitrack processing, or, as I said, mhwaveedit for simple file playback.
On the road again.
fretski
Established Member

Post by fretski »

The version looks like it's 0.28.3, kinda hard to tell with the black everything.

http://trixtar.org/temp-pub-buffer/vlcs ... 04s255.png

So I DL'd the latest 0.36.1 but installing that fails (my JACK is 1.9x)

Code: Select all

./waf configure
Checking for program msgfmt              : /usr/bin/msgfmt 
Checking for program intltool-merge      : /usr/bin/intltool-merge 
Checking for program g++ or c++          : /usr/bin/g++ 
Checking for program cpp                 : /usr/bin/cpp 
Checking for program ar                  : /usr/bin/ar 
Checking for program ranlib              : /usr/bin/ranlib 
Checking for g++                         : ok  
Checking for jack <= 1.8.0               : Requested 'jack <= 1.8.0' but version of jack is 1.9.10 
Checking for jack >= 1.9.2               : yes 
Checking for jack session support        : yes 
Checking for gmodule-export-2.0          : yes 
Checking for sndfile >= 1.0.17           : yes 
Checking for gtk+-2.0 >= 2.20            : yes 
Checking for gthread-2.0 >= 2.24         : yes 
Checking for glibmm-2.4 >= 2.24          : yes 
Checking for gtkmm-2.4 >= 2.20           : yes 
Checking for giomm-2.4 >= 2.24           : yes 
Checking for fftw3f >= 3.1.2             : yes 
Checking for lrdf                        : yes 
Checking for header ladspa.h             : yes 
Checking for lilv-0                      : not found 
/0/sa14/2tb-A/comp-gen/xtra-unpacks/guitarix-0.36.1/wscript:687: error: the configuration failed (see '/0/sa14/2tb-A/comp-gen/xtra-unpacks/guitarix-0.36.1/build/config.log')
I'll see about the other points later, maybe google out the memory issue, doubt it though knowing the little that I do know about Suse