AV Linux 2018 User Manual Draft - Input requested!

What other apps and distros do you use to round out your studio?

Moderators: MattKingUSA, khz

GMaq
Established Member

AV Linux 2018 User Manual Draft - Input requested!

Post by GMaq »

Hi,

Over the past weekend a strange mood overcame me and I willfully spent the whole weekend on User Manual documentation for AV Linux 2018!

I'm sharing a draft in hopes that people may look over portions of it and offer opinions or suggestions for clarifying and making it better. I'm pretty confident that it is 99% there but a second or third (or five hundredth) set of eyes and perspective never hurts. Obviously it isn't the most sexy Manual in the world but I'm looking for it to be easy to read and clear to understand and I ultimately hope that many sections will be beneficial to anybody getting started with Linux Audio not just AV Linux users.

Volunteers time and opinions are appreciated, I will retain editorial 'last word' on what changes get made but anyone's time and suggestions are valued! It will also give a sneak peek into some of the new additions and features in AV Linux 2018.

Draft is here: http://bandshed.net/pdf/AVLinux2018.4.2 ... DRAFT2.pdf

Thanks! Glen
Last edited by GMaq on Tue Mar 20, 2018 4:30 am, edited 1 time in total.
magicalex
Established Member

Re: AV Linux 2018 User Manual Draft - Input requested!

Post by magicalex »

Thanks for all your hard work, Glen. What I've read so far looks good!
ufug
Established Member

Post by ufug »

GMaq wrote:Hi,

Over the past weekend a strange mood overcame me and I willfully spent the whole weekend on User Manual documentation for AV Linux 2018!
:lol: :lol:

Looking good! This is so much more than an AV Linux manual. Plenty of nuggets about Xfce and Carla and notes on Debian in general (and many other good things). It's a great reference.

I noticed a couple *very* tiny, completely unimportant, irrelevant things on a quick scan. Nothing at all that impacts the manual's value. 1) the TOC link to "AV Linux 2018 - A Fresh Start!" doesn't go anywhere (not written yet, I assume), 2) the old Zyn interface in a screenshot, and 3) the DRM section noting Netflix on Linux being a "recent" development (I think that's four or five years ago now...).

So it looks like you ended up going with the RT kernel by default?
listenable at c6a7.org
GMaq
Established Member

Post by GMaq »

ufug wrote:
Looking good! This is so much more than an AV Linux manual. Plenty of nuggets about Xfce and Carla and notes on Debian in general (and many other good things). It's a great reference.

I noticed a couple *very* tiny, completely unimportant, irrelevant things on a quick scan. Nothing at all that impacts the manual's value. 1) the TOC link to "AV Linux 2018 - A Fresh Start!" doesn't go anywhere (not written yet, I assume), 2) the old Zyn interface in a screenshot, and 3) the DRM section noting Netflix on Linux being a "recent" development (I think that's four or five years ago now...).

So it looks like you ended up going with the RT kernel by default?
Thanks for having a look!

Good catch on the page link, some of the screenshots were old and some were new, the Carla section Zyn one is still from the 2016 Manual. Actually AV Linux 2016 still required Pipelight and a special build of Wine for DRM, I used to go to ridiculous lengths just for people to watch Netflix on AVL. You are correct that it is indeed old news now and hardly worth having in the Manual at all. It's a nice reminder that a lot of things have changed for the better in the Linux world. :D

And yes I was not persuaded to change from the RT kernel, hopefully the option of the lowlatency and SGFXI Driver install covers enough of the troublesome nVidia edge cases that it's worthwhile. Intel and AMD Video card users should have no problems with the Xorg drivers and the RT Kernel.
marton

Post by marton »

This is so much more than an AV Linux manual!
khz
Established Member

Post by khz »

[X] YES_THX
. . . FZ - Does humor belongs in Music?
. . GNU/LINUX@AUDIO ~ /Wiki $ Howto.Info && GNU/Linux Debian installing >> Linux Audio Workstation LAW
  • I don't care about the freedom of speech because I have nothing to say.
GMaq
Established Member

Post by GMaq »

Hi,

Updated DRAFT2 is up, much more detail on partitioning, installation, UEFI install and more... link in first post..
khz
Established Member

Post by khz »

Optional: During the installation (>INSTALLING AV LINUX) show the possibility how to use/mount an existing "home" directory on a separate partition.
Being able to use a consistent "home" directory on a separate partition may not be known to every newbie.
. . . FZ - Does humor belongs in Music?
. . GNU/LINUX@AUDIO ~ /Wiki $ Howto.Info && GNU/Linux Debian installing >> Linux Audio Workstation LAW
  • I don't care about the freedom of speech because I have nothing to say.
GMaq
Established Member

Post by GMaq »

khz wrote:Optional: During the installation (>INSTALLING AV LINUX) show the possibility how to use/mount an existing "home" directory on a separate partition.
Being able to use a consistent "home" directory on a separate partition may not be known to every newbie.
Hi,

That is theoretically possible with Systemback but I have never tested it and I don't like documenting things I've never tested especially with other peoples data. I personally like to always create a fresh home if I install a new OS, often there are old configs that no longer work with newer program versions etc or other incompatibilities between distros etc..
Michael Willis
Established Member

Post by Michael Willis »

Is it too late to get Dragonfly Reverb into AV Linux 2018? We're hopefully really close to a v1.0 release.
GMaq
Established Member

Post by GMaq »

Michael Willis wrote:Is it too late to get Dragonfly Reverb into AV Linux 2018? We're hopefully really close to a v1.0 release.
Hi!

Nope got a week or so yet, I'm waiting to finish the docs and a couple of application updates, would love to have the Dragonfly :D
Michael Willis
Established Member

Post by Michael Willis »

GMaq wrote:
Michael Willis wrote:Is it too late to get Dragonfly Reverb into AV Linux 2018? We're hopefully really close to a v1.0 release.
Hi!

Nope got a week or so yet, I'm waiting to finish the docs and a couple of application updates, would love to have the Dragonfly :D
I am so close on this, I'm hoping to have a viable release by the end of the week.
jiff41
Established Member

Post by jiff41 »

khz wrote:Optional: During the installation (>INSTALLING AV LINUX) show the possibility how to use/mount an existing "home" directory on a separate partition.
Are there instructions/Vids anywhere you could point a newbie/don't know to? :wink:
I Started out with nothing & still have most of it left.! (Seasick Steve) :lol:
almeida

Post by almeida »

Looks good. Thanks for all your hard work, Glen!