AVLINUX Carla and win VST - works in Bitwig but not as standalone nor as plugin in Ardour 5.8

What other apps and distros do you use to round out your studio?

Moderators: MattKingUSA, khz

sranauta
Established Member

AVLINUX Carla and win VST - works in Bitwig but not as standalone nor as plugin in Ardour 5.8

Post by sranauta »

Subject says it pretty much

Even after connecting the Win VST Accordian in the patch bay I get no sound

In Bitwig - although nothing shows up in connections in qjackctl - the Accordian works - so I think wine at least is working

Is it possibl ethat the Carla in Bitwig is different from the stand alone Carla I have - how do I check that?

Thanks
sranauta
Established Member

Re: AVLINUX Carla and win VST - works in Bitwig but not as standalone nor as plugin in Ardour 5.8

Post by sranauta »

Thanks for responding

I will take a few screen prints of various scenarios and post as soon as I have tested further.
sranauta
Established Member

Re: AVLINUX Carla and win VST - works in Bitwig but not as standalone nor as plugin in Ardour 5.8

Post by sranauta »

Here are some screenshots - had to resize them down hope they are still readable

Two more screenshots in next reply

Look forward to your comments
Thanks
Attachments
3Carlasettings.png
3Carlasettings.png (254.89 KiB) Viewed 1271 times
2Catia with CarlaOpened.png
2Catia with CarlaOpened.png (131.54 KiB) Viewed 1271 times
1CatiaBeforeOpeningStandAloneCarla .png
1CatiaBeforeOpeningStandAloneCarla .png (36.57 KiB) Viewed 1271 times
sranauta
Established Member

Post by sranauta »

Another two screenshots :)
Attachments
5BITWIGCarlaAccordianloaded.png
5BITWIGCarlaAccordianloaded.png (207.35 KiB) Viewed 1271 times
4CarlaWithAccordianLoaded.png
4CarlaWithAccordianLoaded.png (174.18 KiB) Viewed 1271 times
sranauta
Established Member

Post by sranauta »

Hi
Actually even with the Carla output connected to the system audio I get no sound

I am going to work with standalone Carla and try all the variables in the engine . My sound interface is Edirol UA25

But it works with Carla in Bitwig so there is some setting in Carla I have to find that will make this work. I have to work through all the options systematically. I will report back if I succeed...or not :(
Attachments
ArdourCarlaWinPluginPlusGenMidiPlugin2.png
ArdourCarlaWinPluginPlusGenMidiPlugin2.png (206.52 KiB) Viewed 1260 times
GMaq
Established Member

Post by GMaq »

@sranauta

Is this a commercial VST or a free one? If it's a freebie I could test it on AVL here and see if it behaves the same... Do other WinVSTs work in Carla Rack and Ardour? If other VSTs work then it's probably something different in the Accordian plugin..

You may also be interested in this thread (if Carla doesn't end up doing what you want): viewtopic.php?f=48&t=17480
sranauta
Established Member

Post by sranauta »

Hi there ,

I would really appreciate that I am banging head against brick wall
I so want to have Linux work out but this sort of hitch is very discouraging.

I have tried two free VSTs both with the same result
Here is the Samsara Harmonium download link
http://www.mediafire.com/file/8d6enk7qk ... ium_FR.zip

And here is the Accordian one
http://www.vst4free.com/free_vst.php?id=302

Currently have installed Airwave but I have yet to get all the directory settings right so Ardour will even see the loaded VST :( It's one step forward and two back :D
GMaq
Established Member

Post by GMaq »

Hi,

OK I have downloaded the accordian VST, I rescanned so Carla can find it and with JACK running I have loaded it into Carla and used Carla's patchbay to connect it's outputs to the system outputs and using Carla's auditioning keyboard I get sound so it works here..

I'm not using Catia or anything else for now just Carla with JACK running...

Some questions for you:

Until recently AV Linux had some upgrading problems, they are now fixed... Have you updated AV Linux since you installed it? Is this AV Linux 2017.4.9? Has Carla been updated?

Please don't do any updates until you've answered my questions, I'm trying to see if it's a version problem somewhere..
sranauta
Established Member

Post by sranauta »

Hello, thanks :)

Yes it's AV Linux 2017.4.9 64 bit and I haven't updated anything.

I can get it working in Stand alone Carla too but not in
Ardour 5.8.212
"Music for Airplay"
(rev 5.8-212-ge965e5e)
Intel 64-bit - debug

I also get the message that a new version of Ardour is available not sure what the best route for upgrade is or if it's even available as my Ardour came free with AVLinux.

I'll wait to hear from you :)
GMaq
Established Member

Post by GMaq »

OK,

Let's get Ardour updated...

To start open Synaptic Package Manager and 'Reload' then install only 'ardour 1:5.12.0-1kxstudio1v5' That will get you the latest Ardour release from the KXStudio repos. It will not uninstall the bundled version of Ardour 5.8 that came with AV Linux, we can do that later...

So try the latest Ardour version and see if Carla works there... if not next we'll update only Carla and see what that does..

Also please read this, it's very important info before updating the rest of AV Linux:
http://bandshed.net/forum/index.php?topic=4134.0
sranauta
Established Member

Post by sranauta »

Just going through the procedure

Got this message from reload in synaptic - is it a problem?

GPG error: http://repository.spotify.com stable InRelease:
The following signatures couldn't be verified because the public key is not available: NO_PUBKEY EFDC8610341D9410The repository 'http://repository.spotify.com stable InRelease' is not signed.Updating from such a repository can't be done securely, and is therefore disabled by default.See apt-secure(8) manpage for repository creation and user configuration details.
Target Contents-deb-legacy (Contents-amd64) is configured multiple times in /etc/apt/sources.list.d/kxstudio-free.gcc5.list:1 and /etc/apt/sources.list.d/kxstudio-non-free.gcc5.list:1
Target Contents-deb-legacy (Contents-i386) is configured multiple times in /etc/apt/sources.list.d/kxstudio-free.gcc5.list:1 and /etc/apt/sources.list.d/kxstudio-non-free.gcc5.list:1
Target Contents-deb-legacy (Contents-all) is configured multiple times in /etc/apt/sources.list.d/kxstudio-free.gcc5.list:1 and /etc/apt/sources.list.d/kxstudio-non-free.gcc5.list:1
Target Contents-deb-legacy (Contents-amd64) is configured multiple times in /etc/apt/sources.list.d/kxstudio-free.list:1 and /etc/apt/sources.list.d/kxstudio-non-free.list:1
Target Contents-deb-legacy (Contents-i386) is configured multiple times in /etc/apt/sources.list.d/kxstudio-free.list:1 and /etc/apt/sources.list.d/kxstudio-non-free.list:1
Target Contents-deb-legacy (Contents-all) is configured multiple times in /etc/apt/sources.list.d/kxstudio-free.list:1 and /etc/apt/sources.list.d/kxstudio-non-free.list:1
GMaq
Established Member

Post by GMaq »

Nope those are just harmless warning that are now fixed, just ignore them..
sranauta
Established Member

Post by sranauta »

Looks like my last post did not get through.
I upgraded the repositories and Ardour and Carla as per instructions
But now the 32bit and 64 bit bridges for the vst scan in Carla have disappeared from Carla and Ardour does not find Carla as a plugin either :(
sranauta
Established Member

Post by sranauta »

Hello
Attaching installed list

Sorry I am a total newbie I will check out enabling the bridges

Thanks
Attachments
Screenshot_2018-03-13_23-01-20.png
Screenshot_2018-03-13_23-01-20.png (74.54 KiB) Viewed 1647 times
sranauta
Established Member

Post by sranauta »

OK After adding the bridges thru experimental optio Accordian VST works in stand alone Carla - thanks falkTX

I had to set Ardour to rescan plugins on application start - takes a while, but after that it saw Carla - I was able to load the Accordian VST,

Used Carla Pathbay plugin to show connections , also Catia - all connections seem ok but sadly still no sound :(
Attachments
image3758.png
image3758.png (189.84 KiB) Viewed 1647 times