LinVst keeps getting better

What other apps and distros do you use to round out your studio?

Moderators: MattKingUSA, khz

glowrak guy
Established Member

LinVst keeps getting better

Post by glowrak guy »

V 1.76 is the latest, and has linvstconverttree, which will dive into a folders paths,
and wrap all the windows vst/vsti .dll files it finds into native linux vst equivalents,
using the same name, but with a .so extension. The conversion is quite instantaneous
even when dozens of files are wrapped, and then your linux daw has a good chance
at being able to load, play, and effect with them.

When you open the archive, you'll want linvstconverttree and and linvst.so
in your /home/you folder, and five others to go in /usr/bin, which will be found
in the 'stand-alone-window-version' folder, or the 'not-always-ontop-window' folder.

The 'convert' folder has cli, gtk2, and gtk3 versions of the convert tool
mentioned above.

A typical use, launch linvstconverttree, a little gui opens,
and from top to bottom, choose the (none) button to choose your linvst.so
Next, the button 'Choose dll folder' , select 'other' from the bottom
of the popup list that opens, and browse to your vsts folder,
then to convert, press the Start button,

and repeat for each folder of plugins.
In my case, it appears to be nearly 100% successful, based on what would have been
the problematic plugins just a couple years back. The strong success of wine-staging coders
also plays a vital roll in having access to many fine plugins.
Cheers
funkmuscle
Established Member

Re: LinVst keeps getting better

Post by funkmuscle »

dude I fully agree! It works amazingly! Only issue I have is that in Ardour and Mixbus, the vsts are now only LADSPA. They all work fine in Qtractor, Muse3, Carla(always did work in Carla) and LMMS.

Do you have them working in Ardour?
glowrak guy
Established Member

Post by glowrak guy »

I just checked in Mixbus 4.2, in VST preferences, I cleared the cache and blacklist,
added my vst paths and re-scanned, and the results seem pretty good.
The free versions of Amplitube4, SampleTank3, and Syntronik functioned
as expected, also Serum demo, SQ8L, FM8, Absynth, Synthmaster 2.8, and Synthmaster One
were OK. I have wine-staging 2.20, nvidia pcie video card,
and mAudio pci audio card. I also moved all Synthmaker and SynthEdit plugins
to a separate folder outside the current vst paths, and later on will use Airwave for wrapping them,
and any that don't work will be moved yet again, and tried with linvst.

I recall some issue where having a ladspa calf plugin caused a big problem
for some linux daws, but I think the new Calf release fixed that?
Cheers
funkmuscle
Established Member

Post by funkmuscle »

FalkTX and Markus from calf took care of that issue if you have the veal.so installed.
I did clear the cache and the blacklisted and it doesn't show up in The Blacklist when I checked the logs but I will do it again and enter the path all over again and try it.
glowrak guy
Established Member

Post by glowrak guy »

The new U-he Repro 5 has been released as 'public beta', and the windows version
wraps fine using LinVst, and runs nicely in linux on a multi-core i7, using the MC button
on the gui. The linux port itself is still "a few builds behind", according to the boss.
Cheers
Liam
Established Member

Post by Liam »

funkmuscle wrote:dude I fully agree! It works amazingly! Only issue I have is that in Ardour and Mixbus, the vsts are now only LADSPA. They all work fine in Qtractor, Muse3, Carla(always did work in Carla) and LMMS.

With native Reaper and functional plugins...... yatta yatta .... I guess it's just a matter of taste.
Liam
Established Member

Post by Liam »

glowrak guy wrote:The new U-he Repro 5 has been released as 'public beta', and the windows version
wraps fine using LinVst
Thank you for the heads up on that one. Why wrap it when they have a native Linux version?
funkmuscle
Established Member

Post by funkmuscle »

Liam wrote:
funkmuscle wrote:dude I fully agree! It works amazingly! Only issue I have is that in Ardour and Mixbus, the vsts are now only LADSPA. They all work fine in Qtractor, Muse3, Carla(always did work in Carla) and LMMS.

With native Reaper and functional plugins...... yatta yatta .... I guess it's just a matter of taste.
yep it works well in Reaper but I've always used Linux so even though I have Reaper on a Windows box, I never used it, I have the native version. One day I'll dig into it as tons of mastering tutorials on YouTube using Reaper so very handy to have the Native Linux Reaper and LinVst running on it wickedly.. :D
sysrqer
Established Member

Post by sysrqer »

Funkmuscle, I remember you had a problem with ardour and the vst path...if you echo the vst path in a terminal, including the path to the linvsts, then start ardour from the same terminal and then rescan plugins in ardour...so they show up?
funkmuscle
Established Member

Post by funkmuscle »

sysrqer wrote:Funkmuscle, I remember you had a problem with ardour and the vst path...if you echo the vst path in a terminal, including the path to the linvsts, then start ardour from the same terminal and then rescan plugins in ardour...so they show up?
Yes I remembered that. The thing is it sees it and it says in the plugin section there where you can load the plugins that it is a lxvst then it tells me it cannot load it and check the logs. When I go to load it again it shows up as ladspa and in the logs it says something about maxing out CPU but nothing shows that that's happening.

EDIT: this is also a fresh install from when you were helping me back then.
sysrqer
Established Member

Post by sysrqer »

That sounds really strange with the ladpsa thing. I just checked on my install and i did get the message about cannot load the first time but then it was fine after that. Don't know what to suggest then, maybe report it to linvst, the dev is a lot more active than the airwave dev.
funkmuscle
Established Member

Post by funkmuscle »

sysrqer wrote:That sounds really strange with the ladpsa thing. I just checked on my install and i did get the message about cannot load the first time but then it was fine after that. Don't know what to suggest then, maybe report it to linvst, the dev is a lot more active than the airwave dev.
Yep that's what I'm gonna do. It works in reaper so good enough for me.
lukeoftheaura

Post by lukeoftheaura »

for some reason this isn't working for me, none of the plugins I try to use it with actually display in ardour and only one of the 3 displays in carla but then casues the program to freeze.
pinqvin
Established Member

Post by pinqvin »

Has anyone tested omnisphere 1 or 2 trough linvst? I would like to know if it's tested,, before I pay 150€ to test it by my self.

This seems to be quite old post, but maybe someone will answer.
tavasti
Established Member

Post by tavasti »

Don't know real answer, but I would expect odds being pretty good it works with linvst, airwave or carla. And what if you ask them that is it possible to get refund if that does not work with linux, and promise to report publicly how it works if it works?

Linux veteran & Novice musician

Latest track: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ycVrgGtrBmM