Jack Hardware Monitoring

What other apps and distros do you use to round out your studio?

Moderators: MattKingUSA, khz

andydnr
Established Member

Jack Hardware Monitoring

Post by andydnr »

I've seen numerous references and documentation on how to enable hardware monitoring but haven't found out any information on how to do this except for the envy24control app which is for a specific chipset.

Is this the only option for hardware monitoring or is there an app I'm missing to setup the hardware monitoring like Presonus' UC Surface or RME's TotalMix?
Specs: i7-6700K // ASUS Z170-A // 32GB RAM // Radeon R7 240 // AVLinux
Main Equipment: Audiobox 1818VSL // DP88 // A&H MixWizard WZ 16:2 // Focusrite ISA Two // Faderport
khz
Established Member

Re: Jack Hardware Monitoring

Post by khz »

man jackd
https://linux.die.net/man/1/jackd wrote:-M, --hwmeter

Enable hardware metering for devices that support it. Otherwise, use software metering.
-H, --hwmon

Enable hardware monitoring of capture ports. This is a method for obtaining "zero latency" monitoring of audio input. It requires support in hardware and from the underlying ALSA device driver.

When enabled, requests to monitor capture ports will be satisfied by creating a direct signal path between audio interface input and output connectors, with no processing by the host computer at all. This offers the lowest possible latency for the monitored signal.

Presently (March 2003), only the RME Hammerfall series and cards based on the ICE1712 chipset (M-Audio Delta series, Terratec, and others) support --hwmon. In the future, some consumer cards may also be supported by modifying their mixer settings.

Without --hwmon, port monitoring requires JACK to read audio into system memory, then copy it back out to the hardware again, imposing the basic JACK system latency determined by the --period and --nperiods parameters.
same with jackdbus?
. . . FZ - Does humor belongs in Music?
. . GNU/LINUX@AUDIO ~ /Wiki $ Howto.Info && GNU/Linux Debian installing >> Linux Audio Workstation LAW
  • I don't care about the freedom of speech because I have nothing to say.
andydnr
Established Member

Post by andydnr »

Thanks. Sorry I missed that.

I was under the impression that one might be able to take advantage of the onboard mixing that some devices have. But this appears to be just a direct passthrough from input to output.
Specs: i7-6700K // ASUS Z170-A // 32GB RAM // Radeon R7 240 // AVLinux
Main Equipment: Audiobox 1818VSL // DP88 // A&H MixWizard WZ 16:2 // Focusrite ISA Two // Faderport
Pablo
Established Member

Post by Pablo »

Try alsamixer to (try to) set up hardware monitoring. Just type "alsamixer" in a terminal window and select your audio card.

There are three views: Playback, Capture and All. If you see some capture controls in the Playback view, that probably means you can do some hardware mixing. Use the keyboard arrows, M key, Space, and Tab.