My experience installing KXStudio on LUbuntu 16.10

What other apps and distros do you use to round out your studio?

Moderators: MattKingUSA, khz

mmcc
Established Member

My experience installing KXStudio on LUbuntu 16.10

Post by mmcc »

Edit: noticed a bit of info missing...

I installed KXStudio on a fresh install of LUbuntu 16.10 yesterday. As it was a bit of a challenge for me to figure out how to make this work, I thought I'd share what I went through to get everything working...

1) Ensure base OS is up to date... from a terminal, execute...
sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get upgrade
sudo apt-get dist-upgrade

2) Install kxstudio repositories per instructions here: http://kxstudio.linuxaudio.org/Repositories

3) Install kxstudio stuff. I did not want to change my window manager, as the laptop I'm running on is oldish. From a terminal, execute...
sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get install kxstudio-desktop-base
sudo apt-get install kxstudio-meta-audio
sudo addgroup `whoami` audio

I only wanted audio apps. If you want everything, use kxstudio-meta-all instead of kxstudio-meta-audio.

4) Reboot. When rebooting, you'll get a welcome screen. Apparently it is a good idea to select "Force reset of all settings" here.

5) Hereafter are my experiences, which might not match yours. But, they might be helpful...
- PulseAudio didn't start on startup. I could start it from the command line (pulseaudio --start), but when I looked at Cadence, it said that pulseaudio was started, but wasn't bridged. I killed it from the command line (pulseaudio --kill) but couldn't start it from Cadence at all. As it turned out, pulseaudio wasn't needed.

- I was able to get sound out of the PC speakers by turning up various volumes with alsamixer from the command line. But, when I plugged in my headphones, I got no sound, even though the headphones slider was all the way up, which was weird.

- I was able to get the headphones working by installing kmix. This was probably not the best choice, as it installed a bunch of kde stuff to go along with it. But it worked: when I started kmix, it showed a headphones slider that was at 0.

- In the JACK ALSA configuration window in Cadence, I set Input and Output devices to hw:0. As I wanted to use an external MIDI drum kit, I also set the MIDI Driver to Sequencer.

I also set the sampling rate to 48000, and the sample buffer to 512. This is about all my oldish laptop can take.

- I think I had to reboot after this to make everything work.

- My goal was to my the midi drum kit talk to Hydrogen. I had to go into the Hydrogen configuration and tell it to use MIDI Channel 10, which is apparently the standard channel for percussion.

After doing that, and setting up the JACK connections in Catia, I was able to make the drum kit talk to Hydrogen.