Linux Mint KDE + AV Linux Kernel + Pajackconnect

What other apps and distros do you use to round out your studio?

Moderators: MattKingUSA, khz

GMaq
Established Member

Linux Mint KDE + AV Linux Kernel + Pajackconnect

Post by GMaq »

Hi,

Over a couple of sick days during the holidays as a completely unsupported experiment I grabbed Linux Mint 18 KDE and installed the most recent AV Linux Debian Jessie RT kernel as well as setting up a JACK2 + a2jmidid + Pajackconnect environment and it was pretty cool! I wanted to test it on a few different machines so I installed 'Systemback' which unfortunately has suspended development but still works with Mint 18 and I was able to produce a bootable and installable ISO. I added the KX Repos and a few handy AV Linux scripts and set rtirq-init, 'threadirqs' and modded 'cpufrequtils' for performance to round it out but I stopped there... I didn't install any Audio or Video stuff except Qjackctl and Kdenlive.

Special thanks to tramp for his modded pajackconnect script, the Audio setup on this ISO is a preview of how Audio routing will be set up on the next AV Linux ISO update.

To be clear this is in no way a peek at a future AV Linux nor is it nearly as refined, tuned and complete for Audio and Video work and it doesn't come with any documentation, it is simply a Mint KDE ISO with a pre-configured RT Jack Audio environment. I personally was interested to see that our AVL RT kernels worked with Mint. If anyone is interested I could put it up for download on my hosting but it would be completely unsupported.

thoth_mcdonalds
Established Member

Re: Linux Mint KDE + AV Linux Kernel + Pajackconnect

Post by thoth_mcdonalds »

GMaq!

Big fan of your work over here, and I couldn't get much of the tinkering done that I do without your work and documentation to piggyback on!

I found this post a little too late, and recently did something similar, AVL kernel + Mint 18 Cinnamon + KXStudio repos + jack2. Inspired by previous versions of AVL I decided to just ignore pulseaudio.

I was very excited about AV Linux 2017 because of jack2... I figured at LAST I could integrate pd-extended (or in this case pd-l2ork) with my favored audio "not a distro, AVL." Alas, I found myself in dependency hell still, but I knew pd-l2ork installed flawlessly on Mint 18 (without jack) so that was the straw that broke the camel's back and I decided to finally try my hand at tweaking my own "not a distro" from the "ground up" as it were. It's been a great experience, but I'm still just a tinkerer and the tinkering never stops!

So MORAL OF THE STORY: GMaq, even though no one took the bait on this post, I for one think if you have the time it might be useful to share a systemback .iso of this experiment of yours as an educational tool, even if it lacks some of your most useful trademark tweaks. I would love to share mine at some point, but it is a work in progress and I'm a noob.

GMaq, you give a lot of people fishes, but where you really shine is in teaching people how to fish! I became interested in AVL because I preferred the community to most distro forums. Even though I'm on this new path, I still feel like an AV Linux kinda guy!

Best and Thank You!
-n!
GMaq
Established Member

Re: Linux Mint KDE + AV Linux Kernel + Pajackconnect

Post by GMaq »

thoth_mcdonalds wrote:GMaq!

Big fan of your work over here, and I couldn't get much of the tinkering done that I do without your work and documentation to piggyback on!

I found this post a little too late, and recently did something similar, AVL kernel + Mint 18 Cinnamon + KXStudio repos + jack2. Inspired by previous versions of AVL I decided to just ignore pulseaudio.

I was very excited about AV Linux 2017 because of jack2... I figured at LAST I could integrate pd-extended (or in this case pd-l2ork) with my favored audio "not a distro, AVL." Alas, I found myself in dependency hell still, but I knew pd-l2ork installed flawlessly on Mint 18 (without jack) so that was the straw that broke the camel's back and I decided to finally try my hand at tweaking my own "not a distro" from the "ground up" as it were. It's been a great experience, but I'm still just a tinkerer and the tinkering never stops!

So MORAL OF THE STORY: GMaq, even though no one took the bait on this post, I for one think if you have the time it might be useful to share a systemback .iso of this experiment of yours as an educational tool, even if it lacks some of your most useful trademark tweaks. I would love to share mine at some point, but it is a work in progress and I'm a noob.

GMaq, you give a lot of people fishes, but where you really shine is in teaching people how to fish! I became interested in AVL because I preferred the community to most distro forums. Even though I'm on this new path, I still feel like an AV Linux kinda guy!

Best and Thank You!
-n!
Hi!

Thanks for the kind words, I often say the developers are the chefs, I'm just the waiter.. :D

The last year has been a rough ride and unfortunately my time for AVL and my forum has been in short supply but there is an ISO update in the works..

Best of luck with your respin, Mint is a great choice for the eye-candy and with some config and an RT kernel it can be a great choice for Audio work as you can see it's not rocket science just assembling the right bits and pieces and tweaks together.

Since there was essentially zero interest in this particular post I never really did anything with it, it's still pickled in a VBox bottle, probably at this point it would be best to wait for Ubuntu 18.04 to come out before trying again.