Firefox jack ports

What other apps and distros do you use to round out your studio?

Moderators: MattKingUSA, khz

CraigPid
Established Member

Re: Firefox jack ports

Post by CraigPid »

Apparently the changes in the script won't be applied till the next release. I tried building it with the Arch scripts but I got an unrelated error that I didn't want to spend all night trying to fiure out.
danboid
Established Member

Post by danboid »

Has anyone had any success in getting a recent Arch build of Firefox, ideally the current version (v64.0), working with JACK?

JACK seems to be enabled by default in the official Arch FF PKGBUILD but I've yet to see it successfully create any JACK ports.

I have tried setting security.sandbox.content.level to 0 and I've also tried setting media.cubeb.sandbox to false yet no JACK ports appear for FireFox after restarting it.

When I exit FF, I get errors like so:

[Parent 10035, Gecko_IOThread] WARNING: pipe error: Broken pipe: file /build/firefox/src/mozilla-unified/ipc/chromium/src/chrome/common/ipc_channel_posix.cc, line 736
[Parent 10035, Gecko_IOThread] WARNING: pipe error (150): Connection reset by peer: file /build/firefox/src/mozilla-unified/ipc/chromium/src/chrome/common/ipc_channel_posix.cc, line 363

https://bugs.archlinux.org/task/57837
merlyn
Established Member

Post by merlyn »

Hi danboid. I've got Arch and firefox 64.0-1. I installed firefox with pacman. YouTube works with JACK, SoundCloud doesn't.

I use Cadence, so I opened Catia to see what is going on. I started JACK, then opened firefox. No JACK ports appear at this point. Then, when I play back a YouTube video JACK ports called 'IPC server' appear, and automatically connect to 'system playback' 1 and 2. I don't know what 'IPC server' is. :) I was expecting to have to add bridges and start them in order to have normal desktop audio to work. To have glitch free playback through 'IPC server' the buffer has to be quite big -- 512.

It strikes me that, at the moment, Linux can do pro-audio through JACK well, and desktop audio through whatever well. The problems arise when we try to do both at the same time.
khz
Established Member

Post by khz »

merlyn wrote:YouTube works with JACK, SoundCloud doesn't.
It's the same with Gentoo.
Solution: I load the Soundcloud HP, press "play" on the song I want to listen to. Then I load any song in the new tab - for example Youtube Video -, press "play" and then "stop" again. ==> Soundcoud plays the song.
Try it out. Logic behind it? I don't know, 42.
. . . FZ - Does humor belongs in Music?
. . GNU/LINUX@AUDIO ~ /Wiki $ Howto.Info && GNU/Linux Debian installing >> Linux Audio Workstation LAW
  • I don't care about the freedom of speech because I have nothing to say.
merlyn
Established Member

Post by merlyn »

khz wrote:Solution: I load the Soundcloud HP, press "play" on the song I want to listen to. Then I load any song in the new tab - for example Youtube Video -, press "play" and then "stop" again. ==> Soundcoud plays the song.
That works, thanks. I had a look at Catia and the JACK ports are in a box called 'AudioIPC Server'. When YouTube plays back there are two ports called 'AudioStream_0_out_0' and 'AudioStream_0_out_1' . When SounCloud plays back the box becomes a bit of a monster with ten ports! SoundCloud is coming out of 'AudioCallbackDriver_1_out_0' and 'AudioCallbackDriver_1_out_1'.

Weird, but working. :D
khz
Established Member

Post by khz »

merlyn wrote:Weird, but working. :D
Like my English. ;-)
. . . FZ - Does humor belongs in Music?
. . GNU/LINUX@AUDIO ~ /Wiki $ Howto.Info && GNU/Linux Debian installing >> Linux Audio Workstation LAW
  • I don't care about the freedom of speech because I have nothing to say.
danboid
Established Member

Post by danboid »

OK so that's at least two Arch users who have got sound working under FF YT with JACK so it is clearly something wrong with my configuration. I've been starting jack via qjackctl, for the record.
merlyn
Established Member

Post by merlyn »

Do you have JACK or JACK2? I installed the package jack2-dbus.
danboid
Established Member

Post by danboid »

Arch FF depends on JACK(1) so I had only tested with that until now but following your suggestion I thought I'd try with jack2-dbus but I have the same problem and get the same error:

[Parent 3942, Gecko_IOThread] WARNING: pipe error (52): Connection reset by peer: file /build/firefox/src/mozilla-unified/ipc/chromium/src/chrome/common/ipc_channel_posix.cc, line 363
danboid
Established Member

Post by danboid »

What does your .jackdrc look like Merlyn?
merlyn
Established Member

Post by merlyn »

I don't have a .jackdrc. When I did a find .jackdrc showed up on my AVLinux drive, so it must be a file that qjackctl uses. I use Cadence on Arch, and there isn't a file called .jackdrc on my Arch setup.
merlyn
Established Member

Post by merlyn »

danboid wrote: [Parent 3942, Gecko_IOThread] WARNING: pipe error (52): Connection reset by peer: file /build/firefox/src/mozilla-unified/ipc/chromium/src/chrome/common/ipc_channel_posix.cc, line 363
Taking a guess : you've had chromium browser installed and the config files are still around. The error is referring to 'ipc'. I've never heard of 'ipc' before I used firefox and JACK. I'm thinking "Why is 'chromium' in the file path?". My guess is that if you remove chromium and its config files it will work.