Firefox jack ports

What other apps and distros do you use to round out your studio?

Moderators: MattKingUSA, khz

CraigPid
Established Member

Firefox jack ports

Post by CraigPid »

A couple weeks ago (as far as I've noticed) Firefox started creating jack ports when playing Youtube videos. Anybody know how to shut this off and play Firefox through Alsa? I don't really care for it as they are not persistent and when you have Jack at a reasonably low latency the video goes out of sync.Works much better using the Alsa loopback.
sysrqer
Established Member

Re: Firefox jack ports

Post by sysrqer »

I've noticed this as well, glad it's not just me.
It seems to stop working sometimes as well, the video just won't play.
CraigPid
Established Member

Post by CraigPid »

I wonder if there's a way to shut that off and use alsa loopback.
sysrqer
Established Member

Post by sysrqer »

CraigPid wrote:I wonder if there's a way to shut that off and use alsa loopback.
Maybe there's something in about:config. It's great that they have added it but it's pretty buggy right now, it stops working out of nowhere at least once per day for me.
CraigPid
Established Member

Post by CraigPid »

I tried searching in about:config for a few things like jack, audio, stream etc. but no luck.
Luc
Established Member

Post by Luc »

Please read my comments on this thread and check if it is useful to your own situation in any way.
CraigPid
Established Member

Post by CraigPid »

No. My snd-aloop works. Firefox doesn't use it anymore though rather it creates it's own jack ports (which are buggy) for each audio stream. I would rather use the snd-aloop daemon which works reliably (Chrome still uses it). This is happening on Arch. I've noticed on Mint,using the same version of Firefox (50.1.0) that it does not create special jack ports. In both cases I'm using cadence to start jack and the snd-aloop daemon.
sysrqer
Established Member

Post by sysrqer »

Any update on this? This is becoming increasingly annoying, not only do videos not play after suspend but it interferes with my hdmi/laptop set up.
Is there no option to pass to make it use alsa or pulseaudio?
CraigPid
Established Member

Post by CraigPid »

I've been using the version of Firefox downloaded directly from mozilla as a workaround. It doesn't use jack. I'm not sure why the Arch build does. I was looking at the build scripts for the official Arch build and although on the main page it lists jack as a build dep, I can't see anything in the scripts that would cause it to build with jack support. The version I downloaded from Mozilla is the same version number as the Arch build but uses alsa. The build in Mint also uses alsa.
CraigPid
Established Member

Post by CraigPid »

Looking at the Arch build scripts for Firefox again I noticed that a few weeks ago they took --enable-jack out of mozconfig. I guess I was looking at that after they took it out so I didn't see it there. So I imagine, for myself, reinstalling Firefox should do the trick. From reading your posts I recall that you use Gentoo. Maybe you could edit the ebuild and take out --enable-jack.
sysrqer
Established Member

Post by sysrqer »

I'm actually using manjaro right now. I was hoping I wouldn't have to build it myself because remember what a beast it is to compile. I'll try reinstalling or using the official binary if that solves the problem.
CraigPid
Established Member

Post by CraigPid »

I think when you reinstall you may have to go into /var/cache/pacman and delete the firefox pkg so that it will download it off the server rather than use the cached version.
ventosus
Established Member

Post by ventosus »

There's a ticket in Arch's bug tracker [1]. I've proposed patches to fix some of the issues. Feel free to chime in.

[1] https://bugs.archlinux.org/task/52183
sysrqer
Established Member

Post by sysrqer »

ventosus wrote:There's a ticket in Arch's bug tracker [1]. I've proposed patches to fix some of the issues. Feel free to chime in.

[1] https://bugs.archlinux.org/task/52183
Interesting, I did see this in my search for a solution. It seems like they are quite keen to include it. As a manjaro user I'm not particularly keen to get involved in the discussion.
CraigPid wrote:I think when you reinstall you may have to go into /var/cache/pacman and delete the firefox pkg so that it will download it off the server rather than use the cached version.
Thanks for the tip. It appears that the manjaro package still has this enabled but I downloaded the official binary and that works as you described. I'll just use this for the time being and hope that the arch patch is not included or fixed in the next update.
CraigPid
Established Member

Post by CraigPid »

Apparently the changes in the script won't be applied till the next release. I tried building it with the Arch scripts but I got an unrelated error that I didn't want to spend all night trying to fiure out.