KXStudio & AVLinux

What other apps and distros do you use to round out your studio?

Moderators: MattKingUSA, khz

PaulyWally
Established Member

KXStudio & AVLinux

Post by PaulyWally »

I am getting back into music production after a long hiatus and it looks like I need to try both these distros/suites to see what might work better for me.

However, one question I haven't been able to find an answer: Do either of these distros support dual/triple monitors without a lot of hassle?

I am quite leery about AVLinux because of how stripped down it is. And I'm assuming KXStudio can without much issue since it's technically Ubuntu.

In either case, I'd like to hear it from people that have experience with multiple monitors with these distros.

Thanks!
GuntherT
Established Member

Re: KXStudio & AVLinux

Post by GuntherT »

I set up AVLinux 6.0 a couple years ago with two monitors plugged into a NVIDIA card and had no issues. That functionality is pretty much ready to go OOTB. Even installing the proprietary graphics driver was made simple in AVLinux. I recently tested a live disc of KXStudio on the same machine, and the dual monitors were detected right away. I don't think a dual monitor setup would be troublesome in either OS these days.
durfnap
Established Member

Post by durfnap »

It depends on your hardware and what you want to do with your linux box beside musicproduction. If you want more a allround setup, with the newest Apps, 64bit and a shiny (heavy) KDE surface, your better go with KXStudio.
If you have older hardware, or want a lighter setup that works ootb for Audio/Videoproduction I would recommend AVLinux. No Problems here with AVLinux 6.04, nvidia card and dual head setup. Read the extraordinary good manual page 31. Keep in mind that AVLinux 6.04 is 32bit only and don't comes with own repositories. It's not a "distro", It's a remastered stable mediaproduction setup, that's just ready to use. Live or installed. Mho
10wt3ch
Established Member

Post by 10wt3ch »

If the choice is just between those two distros, AVLinux wins in my opinion.

KXStudio doesn't add anything, and has made extremely bad design decisions (like being based on KDE). AVLinux is better suited for music production, in my opinion.

But that's just my opinion.
10wt3ch
Established Member

Post by 10wt3ch »

Switch away from Ubuntu the corporate monolith entirely. Switch to Debian, and use a light desktop - after all, one can easily install a heavier one if his system can handle it.

Better yet, merge into AVLinux, so GMaq isn't so overworked. :wink:
GMaq
Established Member

Post by GMaq »

10wt3ch wrote:Switch away from Ubuntu the corporate monolith entirely. Switch to Debian, and use a light desktop - after all, one can easily install a heavier one if his system can handle it.

Better yet, merge into AVLinux, so GMaq isn't so overworked. :wink:
Hi, just to set the record straight..

falkTX is FAR more overworked than I am right now, I've had to put Linux stuff on a semi-hiatus for the past 6 months or so...The next AV Linux will indeed use the KXStudio repos on Debian Testing (if I'm lucky enough to not have a heart attack) so if you want to call that a merge I suppose it is, it is just being sensible really. Previous versions of AV Linux had too much different in the base platforms to effectively share packaging with KX, now the KX Repos are the perfect complement...

Really there is room for everyone, For users of relatively new machines with lots of CPU and RAM falkTX does an excellent job with KDE and KXStudio, AV Linux will continue to provide an enhanced XFCE4 experience and RT Kernel which scales nicely for older machines and 10wt3ch puts together a very fast, light (albeit payware) system to take performance even further...

It's a win, win, win I'd say :wink:
glowrak guy
Established Member

Post by glowrak guy »

Yo mama! Look at how Ontario be rockin da audio house 8) Jus thrashin' it :lol: