Linux instrument tuners

What other apps and distros do you use to round out your studio?

Moderators: MattKingUSA, khz

danboid
Established Member

Linux instrument tuners

Post by danboid »

The last time I checked all the instrument tuning apps for Linux a few years ago, the only one that I had any real success with was gxtuner. The only other working option was running aptuner under Wine.

When I want to tune something I find myself using gstrings on my Android phone. It's not a free app and I'd prefer a better (and hopefully FLOSS) X11/Linux native app but gstrings is more accurate than gxtuner.

People claim Tuxguitar has a tuner under the tools menu but I don't see any such option.
DepreTux
Established Member

Re: Linux instrument tuners

Post by DepreTux »

I've used lingot and have been quite successful. It can even load microtonal scales from scala.
danboid
Established Member

Post by danboid »

I've not had any luck with lingot in the past but I've not tried tuna.lv2 yet so I'll give that a go shortly - thanks F!

DepreTux: Has lingot been improved a lot in recent years?
sysrqer
Established Member

Post by sysrqer »

The GVST set has a nice tuner.
danboid
Established Member

Post by danboid »

Thanks for the recommendation sysrqer! I've just tried gtune and overall I think its the best Linux-native tuner now. It's not perfect because its not open source and it doesn't seem you can resize the interface but I prefer it to the alternatives.

I've tried tuna also. The standalone version didn't work at all using the current AUR PKGBUILD - it wanted to be run as root and then failed to start anyway. The LV2 version is very unstable under qtractor, well there are actually 4 versions of tuna.lv2. The two GTK versions seemed to work a bit better under qtr but still cause crashes. When you get tuna to run, it does seem to work OK so long as you're happy with an alphanumeric display. It has several visual tuning aids below the alphanumeric display but non of them seem to work properly currently under qtractor. GTune is more stable and has a working visual tuning aid that will be familiar to anyone who has ever used a digital hardware guitar tuner like those integrated into FX pedals.

I've only tried GTune so far but I've heard a few people recommend the GVST plugins now. It'd be nice if they did get open sourced but the web site does not give the impression that that is the intention of the author.
Aleks
Established Member

Post by Aleks »

What's there not to like about Lingot? It's simple and accurate.