Arch based audio distro

What other apps and distros do you use to round out your studio?

Moderators: MattKingUSA, khz

wayneward
Established Member

Re: Arch based audio distro

Post by wayneward »

i get linux-t from pacman version linux-rt 4.14.15_rt13-1 on antergos
if i want lts i get this from yaourt and i get version linux-rt-lts 4.9.76_rt61-1
funkmuscle
Established Member

Post by funkmuscle »

wayneward wrote:i get linux-t from pacman version linux-rt 4.14.15_rt13-1 on antergos
if i want lts i get this from yaourt and i get version linux-rt-lts 4.9.76_rt61-1
That's exactly what I did. I've tried getting that repo to work for some time now on and off because I've seen it way before when Arch audio was up and running and I think only once I got it to work without any key issues.
CraigPid
Established Member

Post by CraigPid »

CraigPid, I keep getting this error
CODE: SELECT ALL

coderkun-aur-audio 11.0 KiB 846K/s 00:00 [######################] 100%
coderkun-aur-audio.sig 566.0 B 0.00B/s 00:00 [######################] 100%
error: coderkun-aur-audio: key "B08555E13EBAEB50" is unknown
:: Import PGP key 1024D/C443FB1451C4A9930697126439E27199A6BEE374, "coderkun <olli@coderkun.de>", created: 2013-02-06? [Y/n]
error: coderkun-aur-audio: signature from "coderkun <olli@coderkun.de>" is unknown trust
error: failed to update coderkun-aur-audio (invalid or corrupted database (PGP signature))
coderkun-aur 17.4 KiB 114K/s 00:00 [######################] 100%
coderkun-aur.sig 566.0 B 0.00B/s 00:00 [######################] 100%
error: coderkun-aur: signature from "coderkun <olli@coderkun.de>" is unknown trust
error: failed to update coderkun-aur (invalid or corrupted database (PGP signature))
error: database 'coderkun-aur-audio' is not valid (invalid or corrupted database (PGP signature))
error: database 'coderkun-aur' is not valid (invalid or corrupted database (PGP signature))
I think it might be "# pacman-key --recv-keys keyid"
I'm not at my computer right now but I'm thinking I might have had the same issue when I added that repo and i put "SigLevel = Never" in pacman.conf.
wayneward
Established Member

Post by wayneward »

i ended up doing this

pacman-key -r A6BEE374
pacman-key -f A6BEE374
pacman-key --lsign-key A6BEE374

this worked for me
ive had so self sign and trust before like this

gpg --recv-keys 919464515CCF8BB3
and trust it:

gpg --edit-key 919464515CCF8BB3
When you see a gpg prompt, run command:

trust

then type quit and enter :)
funkmuscle
Established Member

Post by funkmuscle »

dunno if this was posted but y'all familiar with this?
http://www.audio-linux.com/
It's Arch based.

Code: Select all

AudioLinux is the first plug & play realtime audio system based on Archlinux with Xfce 4.x desktop and programmed IRQ and application priority
Audio latency at 192 kHz < 2,67 ms on Intel i5 processor and high quality USB audio interface
Audio latency at 44.1 kHz < 1 ms depending on hardware configuration.
Incredibly low processor latency (average 4-6 microseconds on recent Intel i7 processor )
Boot time 10/15 s
Minimize option for optimal audio system
Maximize option for audio/video
Choice between two realtime process priority configurations (Standard or Extreme)
RTIRQ for automatic IRQ priority assignement
RTAPP for automatic audio priority assignement
Compatible audio applications: HQPlayer and HQPlayer embedded (with optional CUDA acceleration), HQPlayer Network Audio Daemon, MPD (with optional upmpdcli UPnP media renderer), Logitech Media Server + Squeezelite-R2 with C-3PO plugin, Minimserver UPnP server, Kodi (XBMC), Deadbeef, Jriver Media Center, Roon.
Audiolinux can be configured as headless server (also with HQPlayer embedded)
Remote control with Unified Remote for smartphone
NoMachine and VNC server included for remote Desktop control. Now you can start headless without graphical Desktop and access audiolinux from smartphone or PC in a virtual Desktop identical to the default one!
AirPlay support with Shairport-sync (audio only)
Support for MCE remote 
sysrqer
Established Member

Post by sysrqer »

funkmuscle wrote:dunno if this was posted but y'all familiar with this?
It's Arch based.
That's really interesting, certainly sounds appealing, especially for people who don't want to or can't spend the time tweaking.
funkmuscle
Established Member

Post by funkmuscle »

sysrqer wrote:
funkmuscle wrote:dunno if this was posted but y'all familiar with this?
It's Arch based.
That's really interesting, certainly sounds appealing, especially for people who don't want to or can't spend the time tweaking.
I know! Why isn't it more out there?
milkii
Established Member

Post by milkii »

There's also these for some single board computers;

"Archphile is an Archlinux ARM/MPD based distribution for Raspberry Pi (B, B+ and 2), Udoo Quad (also dual with some extra steps) and Cubox-i targeted to users with USB and I2S Dacs. ... This distribution was based on ideas and configuration from Raspyfi/Volumio and Runeaudio projects. I could not have done it without them." uses ympd for a web interface.

"RuneAudio is free and open source software that turns embedded hardware into Hi-Fi music players. Take an inexpensive, silent and low-consumption mini-PC and make it perform as an high fidelity digital source. ... RuneAudio is certified to work on a number of devices, including the following: Raspberry Pi/2/3, Beaglebone Black, Cubox, UDOO, ODROID C1/C1+, Cubietruck"

About RuneAudio and Volumio is worth reading

they/them ta / libreav.org / wiki.thingsandstuff.org/Audio and related pages / gh

wayneward
Established Member

Post by wayneward »

i used the manjaro architect version onto a intel compute stick
which has worked great
https://manjaro.org/2017/03/27/install- ... architect/
i built from scratch the RT kernel in and lxde incase i want to use a desktop
im just building in the wifi driver as ive got a wireless dongle in it at the moment

the goal

run headless with the internal wifi adapter with the one free usb port
run headless RT and run jack and a headless guitarix2
i can set up the presets on another machine and copy them in
or plug the stick into a monitor and setup presets
the guitarix will be controlled by either app on my android through the internal wireless adaptor
or through the behringer fcb1010 controller i plug into the USB which im currently using a rubix22 which works great for guitar in and midi in.

ill be looking at a smaller factor audio interface so have the portability and also later a small 7 hdmi screen so onstage configuration can be made

but manjaro was a easy install and its very lean works great on the intel compute stick and you can pick these up pretty cheap a bit more poke than a raspberry :)
nikgnomicradio
Established Member

Post by nikgnomicradio »

I did this 3 years ago:
wayneward wrote:i think it easiest to install manjaro - download iso burn to cd > install and boot.
go into manjaro settings pick select kernel and click install linux realtime kernel
reboot pick the linux-rt and press enter from the grub menu
go into the pamac (add remove programs)
settings - turn on downloads from aur
install jack 2-dbus...
I installed QjackCtl and Patchage rather than KX packages,
then ran realtimeconfigquickscan (thanks to crocoduck for essential awesome utility)

been good ever since. JACK runs great even on standard kernel for me, but I am not usually running anything demanding

I chose Manjaro over Antergos based on some very arbitrary newbie considerations, wouldn't have expected much difference in results from using either, but the little extras added in Manjaro have become very useful (switching kernel is so easy). Both of these main Arch derivatives have friendly and helpful forum. We have lot of Archers hang out on Manjaro forum because they like the community spirit there.

I didn't consider a pure Arch approach because I didn't want to learn about the whole Linux subsystem. I just wanted to focus on deconstructing the audio stack (mostly getting rid of unused pulseaudio stuff).
Primary goal for a rock-solid reliable icecast radio broadcast setup done
Next target of being able to use it to make good content is going to be more challenging!

Would I recommend Manjaro/Antergos/Arch? only if someone wanted better knowledge of Linux, not for someone who wants Linux as a tool for content creation. I love the rolling release model, but needs regular maintenance. large amounts of updates isn't wanted by folks who need to get other things done

For a good stable DAW, I would suggest Debian - AVLinux if no nvidia GPU
funkmuscle
Established Member

Post by funkmuscle »

When I have the time like I did this weekend, I go for the real Arch. I had to install on a laptop.
wayneward
Established Member

Post by wayneward »

realtimeconfigquickscan is a handy bit of kit picked up on a couple of bits i missed :)
jonathanbrickman0000
Established Member

Post by jonathanbrickman0000 »

I've been using Manjaro, xfce4 variant, for a while. Its default kernel is running 1.7ms latency nicely at 96 kHz with a Mackie Onyx Artist. realtimeconfigquickscan for tweaking. I like the advantages of a very large community distro, and yet it adjusts for low-latency audio very quickly. One could write a single script for the adjustment! Hmmmmm....
Jonathan E. Brickman
http://lsn.ponderworthy.com
wayneward
Established Member

Post by wayneward »

The onyx looks perfect similiar to my rubix22 but i needed the midi.. i havent tried running without a realtime kernel ive always used a rt when using jack etc..
But if you have it running without thats cool and the lean desktop and compiled kernel makes a whole lot of difference over say ubuntu studio which i looked at the other day in a vm.. it was sluggish .. bloated.. and the apps were all out of date!

I use both antergos and manjaro both awesome for music and general workstations
thetotalchaos
Established Member

Post by thetotalchaos »

Hello Archies,

I am using Arch, or its 100% free software version - Parabola GNU/Linux-libre, since 2014.
And this is the only Linux distribution that never feel like a compromise.
https://www.linuxmusicians.com/viewtopi ... =4&t=14907

A some time ago i made two useful applications aimed to make Parabola GNU+Linux-libre suitable choice for Linux musicians. Those are Parabola ProAudio metapackage and Parabola Proaudio settings, which fine tune your system for out of the box proaudio work.
https://www.parabola.nu/packages/?q=parabola-proaudio
(Un)Fortunately i switched back to vanilla Archlinux distro soon after, and left both packages unmantained, although they still doing their job in the Parabola ecosystem.

:!: If someone wants to help me repack and update those apps for Archlinux (AUR or even in 'Community' repo) please contact me

The good news is that since a week or two both Cadence and Carla are part of the official Archlinux repositories.
Core apps like Ardour are also getting better support and up-to-date versions.

The default Archlinux kernel has the PREEMPT option enabled (like ubuntu' Linux-Lowlatency). And although my system is heavily tweaked to prioritize both Audio Performance and Audio quality, it seems that the default Linux kernel is getting the job done. The only modification i have done is to add threadirqs as a kernel boot option.

Here are a few tips to minimize the headaches when choosing the modern Cadence to administrate the Jack server https://www.linuxmusicians.com/viewtopi ... 27&t=17780

Best regards, Totalchaos
You can listen to my music at: https://totalchaos-music.bandcamp.com/

Take a journey to wonderland with The Butterfly Effect 2016
https://totalchaos-music.bandcamp.com/a ... fly-effect