MAYA STUDIO- a Linux Mint based A/V-Linux

What other apps and distros do you use to round out your studio?

Moderators: MattKingUSA, khz

chalee
Established Member

MAYA STUDIO- a Linux Mint based A/V-Linux

Post by chalee »

Hey Community!

Many years i was using Ubuntu-Studio and Tango Studio as my favourite system!
With the change of tango Studio to go to Debian and the fact that there is no other studio-Distro which uses MATE (gnome2) as favourite Desktop, i was going to LINUX MINT to make my own Studio! I like the look and feel and some Improvements inside of LM and that its ubuntu-based.

XFCE maybe is a good choice too- but Unity and Gnome3 using too much ressources on older machines!
I want to have a stable and stylish system that is fast and good for productions- and i use never touchscreens for this.

After 3 month of configure and testing- the final release of my version is ready to share. :)

As an Artist (Producer/Dj) and 15 years-long Linux-Freak i made this unofficial community release, and it was calling "Linux Mint Studio" the last days- but there was a lots of discussions that i cant use the Name "Linux Mint" with Studio and that "Studio" is not enough distance to the product "Linux Mint"! 8)
I respect this- but as a user of Ubuntu/LinuxMint i dont want to make an own far away distro im the distro-djungel and have no ressources for that at all!

I just want to offer a really stable and good production-system with MATE-Desktop (and NO Unity/Gnome3), Linux-Mint-based for creative people!
So i remastered and designed it renew and call it "MAYA STUDIO" because its based on Linux Mint 13 [Maya].

Its brandnew and not so many days released, so maybe the torrent will work some slowly the first days- of course its a 3.5GB-DVD/USB-ISO-file full of Applications, Plugins and Instruments for A/V.

Maya Studio includes a lot of KXStudio/Ubuntu Studio, cames with a Lowlatency-pae-kernel and as a LTS-Version it is supported with updates until 2017!

For Feedback write PM or leave a comment!
Have fun- Be creative!

_____________________________________________________________________________________________

[update: we have new download servers now !!!]

MIRROR 1: MAYA-STUDIO-13.07-B.iso

MIRROR 2: MAYA-STUDIO-13.07-G.iso

more informations: http://mayastudio.tumblr.com

_____________________________________________________________________________________________
Last edited by chalee on Sun Apr 19, 2015 1:48 am, edited 7 times in total.
GraysonPeddie
Established Member

Re: MAYA STUDIO- a Linux Mint based A/V-Linux

Post by GraysonPeddie »

Not to disappoint you, but When I see "Maya" for "MAYA STUDIO," I would have to think that the word "Maya" tells me that the Linux distribution is as top-of-the-line as with AutoDesk's Maya, which is a top-of-the-line-thousand-dollar 3D modeling program for film production.

Again, no hard feelings; it's something to keep in mind when it comes to "word-of-mouth." I mean if I talk to anyone about "Maya Studio" in person, they might think of it as a 3D modeling program since they may have not heard of "Linux distribution" or "Linux distro."

You have to be very careful when it comes to trademark issues at hand.
--Grayson Peddie

Music Interest: New Age w/ a mix of modern smooth jazz, light techno/trance & downtempo -- something Epcot Future World/Tomorrowland-flavored.
sysrqer
Established Member

Post by sysrqer »

Not going to comment on any of the other comments posted but looks like a good package to me, lots of info provided which is great.
tatch
Established Member

Post by tatch »

good work, but I do agree with falkTX. I think your time/effort would be much more well-spent if you contributed directly to the KXStudio repositories and packaging. If you really wanted, you could still make your own "distribution" but still have it based off the KX repositories.
chalee
Established Member

Post by chalee »

Ok, thanks all for feedback!
i try to answer it at my best:

so first: yes yes! working together on a project or inspirate another to form a team was my intention in the beginning, but i just found some people who helped me in special points and details- but there was no team!
For to work on KXStudio (and Packages) i think i am not "worthy" and that my Linux knowledge will not be enough!
Also i was spending 4 month (!) now- sometimes 10h/day on this little "Distro" and yes, there was a lot of talking about the name! ;-)
So i had to redisign completly new my distro and rebrand it, because the official mint people was really angry that i used LINUX MINT STUDIO first!
Maybe i am not so good in name giving - but i was thinking that Maya Studio is a really good name, because the official code of Linux Mint 13 (which is based upon) is "Maya"!
And in fact: yes, there will be no homepage- maybe a little blog, no support and no longer development!
Its just a modified version with a lot of love and detail in it to build a perfect system for me!
And i just want to share it with some people- and not to make a new "product" in the market! And i think that the Film Industry will not notice, that maybe a few people will try my distro and in fact your called Viedeo-Software is named MAYA and NOT Maya Studio.
And of course, this will be my last release! its as a LTS supported untill 2017.

So just for Christmas i was making a special last edit as a BLUE and a GREEN one- with just all the newest updates, Desktop-Improvements, own plymouth and branding...
i load it up now and tonight it will be online!

I would love to help you on KXStudio- but i have really forgot to live the last month and have to clear now a lot and move on in my life.
Maybe at someday i will come in your team- but like i said- i dont believe that my programming/packages-knowledge is enough for your high quality Distro!

I am just an musician with some good Linux experience and enough to build a little freaky System to share-
but i am no supermaster! ;-)

But i love what you do- believe me! GO ON!

Also the Ubuntu and Tangostudio people!!!
You was inspiring me soooo much!

I forgot to explain the main reason for "Maya Studio":
its the MATE Desktop!!!
This was the main reason i was switching after the debian-change of TangoStudio to Ubuntu Studio and than to Mint!
I am an old school user and love the gnome2-desk!
I dont want KDE, i dont want unity, i dont need Gnome3,...! Maybe i like XFCE too- but MATE was for me the main inspiration to make a "Studio-Sys".
Because there is no other studio-distro with Mate as default!

So please see it like it is: a little christmas present from me to the community!
As a big thank for years of help and support!
So please dont see it as a concurence and just stay in contact!
Maybe in some month i will look, what i can do for/with you!

Maybe a special KX-Mate-Version! :D :) :wink:

To the last argument, that a little selfmade.iso is not recommend- i dont agree!
If i was founding Tango Studio, it was a really small one- but i love the special taste of Tango Studio!
Its a special-detailed system!
like every's of us;-)

different characteres, different influences, different options and features- like humankind for itself!
So everybody can take and try and help and modify and share and use and love and,....

So get tonight my present and maybe some people like!
And if just 10 people make music/art with it- all the work will be worthy.

And of course i have my own specialized system for the next 4 years!
:wink:
this was the first inspiration,..when i began- and before i choosed to share..!
best regards!

C U later!
billybob
Established Member

Post by billybob »

Looking at the latest Tango Studio based on Debian that uses a Mate desktop so your required desktop did exist for a studio release but based on Debian not Ubuntu like Mint.
I guess you just enjoy what you do, thats cool.
chalee
Established Member

Post by chalee »

i dont want change to debian- want to stay with ubuntu or mint!
maybe in the future ...

there is no need to wait for the newest LTS!
My Project was now and is readdy and i dont want to win the run for the most actual distro!
i just took an actual Kernel and all new hardware is supported-Software will be supported with updates untill 2017!

To have a really fast and stable system to work is the main Intention for Maya Studio!

And as it is just a little unknown project and will not be rise- i can do it like this!
:wink:

i think if there will be a new release of Maya Studio in the future, it will be just a 64bit-version and maybe an Update-Release @2015 ;-)
and a new one 2017 !?! :D

If i should make a really new version on another Revision than maybe it will be called xxx-studio- like the new name of the mint-release!

But maybe to this time you included me in the KX-Project and its just calling KXStudio Mate-Version based on LM!?!?!

What do you think about that?
chalee
Established Member

Post by chalee »

VENGA! ;-)

Here is my Christmas-Special for you:

The final MAYA STUDIO-Release as a Green and a Blue-Edition!

There is no need to reinstall if you just use MAYA STUDIO 13.07.

Changes are:

- own modified ubiquity-installer (before was the LM-Standard-Installer)
- all new updates of Mate and Linux Mint
- Desktop Improvements

(As there was some graphical problems after first reboot with composite and dockey after the last Linux Mint-Update, MAYA STUDIO comes with dockey and composite OFF now
and the Taskbar is in Linux Mint-Style down by default!)

The Green-Edition uses the Mint Menu for default
and the Blue Edition comes with the Mate-Menu!

But this you can change all manually and its just some clicks away to make a BLUE Edit to a Green-Edit!
After all MAYA STUDIO comes with a beautiful modular desktop: build it like you need and want!

The Green-Edit is really stylish and dark and the Blue-edit more simple and lightful!
i know: there is no need for different styles-desktops if the technique is the same inside.

But hey: its Christmas now and this was my work untill 2017 :-p ;-)

So have fun and enjoy your creativity with Maya Studio!
it's a stable and awesome Production-System and mostly people with older machines and less than
< 4GB of RAM will have the best performance as the same on higher machines.

READ THE RELEASE-NOTES!

Have fun- Be Creative

[update: we have new download servers now- look at http://mayastudio.tumblr.com/download !!!]

MAYA STUDIO@tumblr: http://mayastudio.tumblr.com/

AFTER INSTALL:

--> READ THE RELEASE NOTES!
--> UPDATE YOUR SYSTEM!

--> after install add user to group "audio"
--> use the ubuntu-studio-control to add and apply limits

--> the new LM-updates brings pulse-audio back to line, but
Maya Studio prefers ALSA+Jack: if you have soundissues or incompabilties
just remove Pulse or disable it in controlcenter/services and do
sudo apt-get autoremove pulseaudio in terminal!

--> To use Pulse-audio, install the pulse-daemon and pavucontrol.

--> IF YOU HERE NO SOUND IN MAYA STUDIO JUST ACTIVATE "SPEAKER"
IN THE MATE-MIXER-CONTROL-PANEL!

It's maybe muted if you first start!

If you like another Mixer-Panel you can activate the XFCE-Volume-Control-Panel
in Startprograms and remove the Mate-Control-Panel from the Taskbar!

more configuration tips: http://mayastudio.tumblr.com/config :D :wink:
Last edited by chalee on Sun Apr 19, 2015 2:07 am, edited 15 times in total.
totalchaos
Established Member

Post by totalchaos »

Oooh great, more fragmentation in the LA community.
Are we that many, that we need to divide each other even more?
We are not more than a few hundreds of people (the numbers are approximate, for the purpose of making a point) and we are having tens of distros and flavors. The Apple audio community are hundreds of thousands, and they are having only one OS-X.
I didn't mean to be disrespectful to the maya studio dev, but would it be easier to add mate repository to kxstudio and document how its done?

Best regards T.
GraysonPeddie
Established Member

Post by GraysonPeddie »

I agree. There are just way too many Linux distributions to choose from, even making it very confusing for new users who are switching from Windows/Mac to Linux.

New user: "Maya Studio? Tango Studio? KXStudio? Ubuntu Studio? AVLinux? What the heck should I choose from?"
Me: "I'd suggest KXStudio. There is a tool called Cadence that lets you configure your sound card and it will run all the time in background."

Simplicity is king, guys!

(It's not my place to disappoint the developer of Maya Studio).
--Grayson Peddie

Music Interest: New Age w/ a mix of modern smooth jazz, light techno/trance & downtempo -- something Epcot Future World/Tomorrowland-flavored.
AnthonyCFox
Established Member

Post by AnthonyCFox »

Ah, the fragmentation debate...

It's frustrating, but sometimes good things come from it. I remember wondering who this "FalkTX" guy was and why he didn't just contribute to Ubuntu Studio, instead of creating "yet another distro". Now, I'm really glad he did it.

I suspect that getting software developers to share the same vision, without the motivation of money, is difficult. I know that's true for musicians, so getting software developers that are also musicians together... yikes! We're lucky anything EVER works in Linux pro-audio. That the modular DAW on Linux is the trend now, makes a lot of sense. Hopefully, that continues.
War, crime, disease, starvation, extreme poverty; these are serious things.
Music? Not so serious. Have some fun! :D
chalee
Established Member

Post by chalee »

@all: there is no fragmentation!
Just a lot of colourful, creative and different people like humankind!
Linux was born of this and Linux was going so famous and stable because of this!
Dont be afraid! :wink:
My will is not to fragment or making conflicts in the community!
MAYA STUDIO is just an experiment and a special DAW-Release for people who like
Linux Mint and Mate!
I can imagine to work together with KXStudio-Project or working in a team.
But MAYA STUDIO would be more different as just coming with Mate:

It's the decision to use ALSA+JACK instead of Pulse-Audio and to be build on Linux Mint.

So its just a little experimental System out now there in the "Distro-Djungel" ..
.. and i hope it will be useful to produce Art and not to seperate.

@falkTX: i like your "politics" to make your iso-release AND offer your Repos.
it's a really great and wide-open concept.
chalee
Established Member

Post by chalee »

MAYA STUDIO@tumblr: http://mayastudio.tumblr.com/