Possible to get KXstudio repos in Manjaro?

What other apps and distros do you use to round out your studio?

Moderators: MattKingUSA, khz

sysrqer
Established Member

Possible to get KXstudio repos in Manjaro?

Post by sysrqer »

I'm looking in to changing to Manjaro soon and the one thing left to look in to is whether I can access the kxstudio stuff when if do make the switch.

I noticed this comment on the website: "Users on other linux distributions should enable the repositories that best match their distro.
Remember that KXStudio offers repositories only for Debian and its based systems."

I'm not entirely sure what this means, would I need to enable the repos for each of the plugin sets/sequencers/daws?
sysrqer
Established Member

Re: Possible to get KXstudio repos in Manjaro?

Post by sysrqer »

Sorry, I think I meant enabling ppas for the plugins etc, not repos (this was assuming I wouldn't be able to use the KX repository).

Manjaro is Arch based so would I still use the Debian ones?
totalchaos
Established Member

Post by totalchaos »

Well you can use Cadence and Carla from AUR, if i am not mistaking.
The other programs are more or less bleeding edge too (because this is Arch..... duh). So all you have to do is to read a few articles, of how to tweak your system to be more audio-friendly.
And yeah, it will be better to do that, on a vanilla Arch system.
sysrqer
Established Member

Post by sysrqer »

Hmm well that's a shame. Maybe I won't go for Manjaro in that case.

I noticed that I can get Cadence from AUR but it's all the other stuff that would maybe be an issue, Ardour 3 (compiled), all the synths and fx. I suppose they must all be available from the Manjaro repo or from AUR but there is something nice about having the support from falktx, the nice redesign of Zyn and everything else.

As far as setting the system up I'm not too worried about that, I don't need to do any recording or live performances so wouldn't be that much to do or that different from setting it up in (x)ubuntu, I think.

I'll have to think about whether it's worth doing at all.
funkmuscle
Established Member

Post by funkmuscle »

I use the Vanilla Arch because I love it but I've tried Manjaro and except for the polished out of the box part, it was all Arch like ArchBang.
So what works on Vanilla Arch, Manjaro says it's 100% compatible so it should all work too. I had no issues installing from AUR.
calimerox
Established Member

Post by calimerox »

just for being curious I installed a manjaro partition on my desktop computer and it works quite well for all the sound stuff i m doing, with yaourt command you can find pd-extended and other cool sound software.. I couldnt get snd_aloop to run properly, but thats maybe too much? anyone has experience with it? Thanks!