Debian, Fedora/RHEL, (Open)SUSE, Mint, Gentoo and Arch subs?

What other apps and distros do you use to round out your studio?

Moderators: MattKingUSA, khz

danboid
Established Member

Debian, Fedora/RHEL, (Open)SUSE, Mint, Gentoo and Arch subs?

Post by danboid »

Isn't it a bit unfair that only F has a sub-forum (for KX) here?

Wouldn't it make sense to also have sub-forums for at least Debian, Fedora/RHEL, (Open)SUSE, Mint, Gentoo and Arch - maybe Mageia (or others) at a push?

Your thoughts, admins and non-admins alike, please!
tatch
Established Member

Re: Debian, Fedora/RHEL, (Open)SUSE, Mint, Gentoo and Arch s

Post by tatch »

kx has a subforum because it's an audio distribution.
danboid
Established Member

Post by danboid »

Yep - no news there!

There are plenty of other audio distros beyond KX and AVL, but I was thinking more along the lines of people who write guides or require help for Linux audio stuff thats distro-specific.

I think its silly having a forum 'called 'Linux Distributions and other software' that only has a subforum for 1 distro and 'other software' is too vague.
funkmuscle
Established Member

Post by funkmuscle »

danboid wrote:Yep - no news there!

There are plenty of other audio distros beyond KX and AVL, but I was thinking more along the lines of people who write guides or require help for Linux audio stuff thats distro-specific.

I think its silly having a forum 'called 'Linux Distributions and other software' that only has a subforum for 1 distro and 'other software' is too vague.
I kinda like this idea.
raboof
Established Member

Post by raboof »

danboid wrote:Wouldn't it make sense to also have sub-forums for at least Debian, Fedora/RHEL, (Open)SUSE, Mint, Gentoo and Arch - maybe Mageia (or others) at a push?
The reason KXStudio has its own subforum is because this subforum is the semi-official forum for this distribution, actively monitored by its community.

If there's another audio distribution that wants to have its own subforum here, by all means get in touch and we'll make it happen.

IMHO there are 2 reasons to create a subforum:
  • Someone with some authority on the subject requests the forum and will monitor it (e.g. the Laborejo or KXStudio forums)
  • There is a forum that is getting overwhelmed with posts about a specific sub-field of that field. Then it makes sense to create a subforum for that sub-field.
Absent such a reason I think it is actually harmful to create a subforum: either the subforum will seem like a wasteland, or people will start posting messages that are not neccessarily X-specific to the X subforum (for any value of X :) ).

In this case I don't see, for example, a lot of Mint-specific posts here: presumably the Mint community has its own infrastructure for that. For that reason AFAICS it doesn't seem to make too much sense to create a Mint-specific subforum here.
nils
Established Member

Post by nils »

Good guidelines, Raboof.

kxstudio has a forum here because falktx decided to have it here instead of hosting its own.
danboid
Established Member

Post by danboid »

I have seen more than a few Arch-specific guides and threads on this forum. It might be worth having an Arch sub-forum here, if nothing else.
funkmuscle
Established Member

Post by funkmuscle »

falkTX wrote:
danboid wrote:I have seen more than a few Arch-specific guides and threads on this forum. It might be worth having an Arch sub-forum here, if nothing else.
expecting distro-specific support here is a bit of a stretch...
for distro-specific things there's nothing better than the actual distro forums. They will all be using the same distro as the poster, while in here we are mostly mixed (I've seen users of Debian, Ubuntu, Arch and SUSE).
falk, that's exactly why I said I kinda like the idea..l, many of us Archers out there.
nils
Established Member

Post by nils »

But there already is an official Archlinux forum, and it is a very good one as well.
funkmuscle
Established Member

Post by funkmuscle »

NilsGey wrote:But there already is an official Archlinux forum, and it is a very good one as well.
the forum is very cool and helpful but not always with audio pro apps... or is it now?? I've only used it for non audio issues.
billybob
Established Member

Post by billybob »

raboof wrote:
danboid wrote:Wouldn't it make sense to also have sub-forums for at least Debian, Fedora/RHEL, (Open)SUSE, Mint, Gentoo and Arch - maybe Mageia (or others) at a push?
The reason KXStudio has its own subforum is because this subforum is the semi-official forum for this distribution, actively monitored by its community.

If there's another audio distribution that wants to have its own subforum here, by all means get in touch and we'll make it happen.

IMHO there are 2 reasons to create a subforum:
  • Someone with some authority on the subject requests the forum and will monitor it (e.g. the Laborejo or KXStudio forums)
  • There is a forum that is getting overwhelmed with posts about a specific sub-field of that field. Then it makes sense to create a subforum for that sub-field.
Absent such a reason I think it is actually harmful to create a subforum: either the subforum will seem like a wasteland, or people will start posting messages that are not neccessarily X-specific to the X subforum (for any value of X :) ).

In this case I don't see, for example, a lot of Mint-specific posts here: presumably the Mint community has its own infrastructure for that. For that reason AFAICS it doesn't seem to make too much sense to create a Mint-specific subforum here.
+1
AnthonyCFox
Established Member

Post by AnthonyCFox »

raboof wrote:IMHO there are 2 reasons to create a subforum:
Is there an experienced Arch user here asking for a sub-forum that they will monitor? :wink:

There is a fair amount of Arch specific discussion here and there has been an attempt by Arch users to set up their own pro-audio forum http://archaudio.org/forums/ though it's gone stale now.

I like the idea of encouraging all Linux pro-audio users to have LinuxMusicians as a common meeting ground. Though, Debian/Ubuntu (and derivatives) is so big it's almost universal and so it doesn't seem necessary to have it's own forum. Maybe RHEL/Fedora? The others seem kind of underpopulated, for now, to make much sense to me.
War, crime, disease, starvation, extreme poverty; these are serious things.
Music? Not so serious. Have some fun! :D
funkmuscle
Established Member

Post by funkmuscle »

AnthonyCFox wrote:
raboof wrote:IMHO there are 2 reasons to create a subforum:
Is there an experienced Arch user here asking for a sub-forum that they will monitor? :wink:

There is a fair amount of Arch specific discussion here and there has been an attempt by Arch users to set up their own pro-audio forum http://archaudio.org/forums/ though it's gone stale now.

I like the idea of encouraging all Linux pro-audio users to have LinuxMusicians as a common meeting ground. Though, Debian/Ubuntu (and derivatives) is so big it's almost universal and so it doesn't seem necessary to have it's own forum. Maybe RHEL/Fedora? The others seem kind of underpopulated, for now, to make much sense to me.
yeah, that forum went stale as it was more to do with packages but because of AUR and this site, there was no need to keep it active.
I've been using Arch for years but as a musician and not a programmer or a dev. For me, Arch runs smoothly and 99% of the headaches with if for me are caused from stupid things I did.. That is also another reason the arch pro-audio went stale as no one really had issues with the distro that uses it.
schivmeister
Established Member

Post by schivmeister »

funkmuscle wrote:That is also another reason the arch pro-audio went stale as no one really had issues with the distro that uses it.
That. But in addition, it's because no-one has stepped up to package stuff (since they would rather simply makepkg than go through a cumbersome Subversion dance), and active packagers have disappeared over the years. I still do maintain the packaging infrastructure, and the admin has been generous with storage and bandwidth for years.

However, packages are not the only purpose of the project. It has a forum because it hopes to give users like us a platform to get together and discuss. Quite possibly, it's because of the lack of packages that people don't bother registering with yet another website. I had also written down some interim guidelines for hopeful packagers. [1]

The official Arch Linux repos do contain the majority of pro-audio software (maintained by myself and Speps), but there are possibly dozens of other things we're missing (due to low usage, absence of buildscripts, etc), that could go into a dedicated pro-audio repo (look at the lists of CCRMA and Gentoo Proaudio).

But in general, for Arch Linux pro-audio support/chitchat (inclusive of music and engineering), you have the following channels:

* Arch Linux Forums - Multimedia Section (general)
* ArchAudio Forums (dedicated)
* ArchAudio Mailing List
* [url=irc://irc.freenode.net/archaudio]Arch Linux Pro Audio & ArchAudio IRC Chat[/url]

So, there is no need for a (sub-)forum anywhere else :)

[1] https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/ArchAudio
Last edited by schivmeister on Sun Nov 03, 2013 11:14 am, edited 3 times in total.
Professor: Music is not a science, my son. It's an art.
Student: But art is science.
funkmuscle
Established Member

Post by funkmuscle »

schivmeister wrote:
funkmuscle wrote:That is also another reason the arch pro-audio went stale as no one really had issues with the distro that uses it.
That. But in addition, it's because no-one has stepped up to package stuff (since they would rather simply makepkg than go through a cumbersome Subversion dance), and active packagers have disappeared over the years. I still do maintain the packaging infrastructure, and the admin has been generous with storage and bandwidth for years.

However, packages are not the only purpose of the project. It has a forum because it hopes to give users like us a platform to get together and discuss. Quite possibly, it's because of the lack of packages that people don't bother registering with yet another website. I had also written down some interim guidelines for hopeful packagers. [1]

The official Arch Linux repos do contain the majority of pro-audio software (maintained by myself and Speps), but there are possibly dozens of other things we're missing (due to low usage, absence of buildscripts, etc), that could go into a dedicated pro-audio repo (look at the lists of CCRMA and Gentoo Proaudio).

But in general, for Arch Linux pro-audio support/chitchat (inclusive of music and engineering), you have the following channels:

* Arch Linux Forums - Multimedia Section (general)
* ArchAudio Forums (dedicated)
* #archaudio@Freenode.IRC

So, there is no need for a (sub-)forum anywhere else :)

[1] https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/ArchAudio
yep Schiv, you and Speps are great at updating packages in AUR.. thanx you guys again.. and I think the 3 pro-audio are still kind of active as I've received the latest rt kernel a week ago through one.