Guitar-to-MIDI conversion in Rakarrack/Guitarix?

What other apps and distros do you use to round out your studio?

Moderators: MattKingUSA, khz

canezila
Established Member

Re: Guitar-to-MIDI conversion in Rakarrack/Guitarix?

Post by canezila »

I found a solution to polyphonic midi guitar to synth.

Sonuus G2M - Universal Audio to 5pin MIDI Din Converter

to

https://www.jamorigin.com/

Its called Midi Guitar 2.

Run it through wine. Then I run Pianoteq (through wine, not natively through Linux) so MG2 can find it.

Its the coolest thing. Midi Guitar 2 cost $99. The midi hardware cost $79. But thats all. For what it does and how reliable it seems, the price seems like a steal compared to anything else I have found.
Jarle
Established Member

Post by Jarle »

canezila wrote:I found a solution to polyphonic midi guitar to synth.

Sonuus G2M - Universal Audio to 5pin MIDI Din Converter
Sorry to say it is monophonic MIDI, not polyphonic. I have v1 and read on their webpage that current v3 also is only monophonic.
canezila
Established Member

Post by canezila »

Yeah I agree regarding the hardware. But using the software I refer to allows me to play chords. It's not perfect but it sure is close.

I imagine other monophonic midi converters would work as well.

The key is the software.
Jarle
Established Member

Post by Jarle »

canezila wrote:
The key is the software.
Ok, wonder how this work. I think what the software need is an audio-signal to convert to midi and not a hardware monofonic midi-converter, but I know nothing of this software.
canezila
Established Member

Post by canezila »

I wonder if I should not have posted it because it's not Linux software... Nor the awesome software in the op.

It just seemed to cool to not share.

I don't know how they do it.... And if it really is just better algorithms then wow....

I would not believe it if I didnt try it out.
Jarle
Established Member

Post by Jarle »

canezila wrote: I would not believe it if I didnt try it out.
I read on their webpage; under no hardware or tweaking needed (mouse over tekst) "...with a standard audio-interface"
How is the Sonuus G2M (witch I believe is midi only) connected to this setup? I think you can use this software without the sonuus G2M, and only use your audio-input from soundcard, but I may be wrong?
glowrak guy
Established Member

Post by glowrak guy »

canezila wrote:I wonder if I should not have posted it because it's not Linux software... Nor the awesome software in the op.

It just seemed to cool to not share.

I don't know how they do it.... And if it really is just better algorithms then wow....

I would not believe it if I didnt try it out.
Hi, there is now a Marketplace subforum, used for discussing
sales of various products that are not strictly linux native.
You're mentioning actual real-world uses, JamOrigin
does work nice in wine when I've tried the demos over the years.
I'm gonna check out the hardware reviews on youtube when
the coffee is ready.
Cheers
canezila
Established Member

Post by canezila »

Jarle wrote:
canezila wrote: I would not believe it if I didnt try it out.
I read on their webpage; under no hardware or tweaking needed (mouse over tekst) "...with a standard audio-interface"
How is the Sonuus G2M (witch I believe is midi only) connected to this setup? I think you can use this software without the sonuus G2M, and only use your audio-input from soundcard, but I may be wrong?

The Sonuus I am using has an audio thru which I connect also. Then I dial in the amount of banjo synth / guitar I want to hear.

When recording I can select the midi synth and record my "banjo" that way.

I am going to cease discussion on this thread. I will start a new thread. Sorry to OP for bad manners.
glowrak guy
Established Member

Post by glowrak guy »

A short easy recipe for guitar-to midi

Install qjackctl

Install all the aubio/libaubio items in your repository (yes, spelled correctly with a b !)

Install Yoshimi synth

launch qjackctl, a2jmidid, yoshimi and aubionotes

in qjackctl, Audio tab,

connect system on the left, to aubio on the right
connect yoshimi on the left, to system on the right

in the qjackctl MIDI tab, connect aubio on the left, to yoshimi on the right.

Connect your guitar to the audio interface that is configured
to System in the qjackctl audio tab

From the main yoshimi gui, choose three distinct sounds, like
a choir, a bell, and a brass, (from the Folderol collection, in my case.)
Put each sound on midi channel 1, each set to monophonic,
and set yoshimi velocity controls for each sound
to the low 40's.

You should now be able to play the medley of sounds
with your guitar at some speed, and then go on experimenting with
whatever sound or sounds you like. Other jackd aware standalone synths
should also work, but without the easy gui, multi-timbrality and velocity control
offered by yoshimi.
Cheers
catchjigga

Post by catchjigga »

autostatic wrote:It's possible with both rakarrack and guitarix. But it only works with single notes. rakarrack has a great Help page, here's the relevant MIDI section: http://rakarrack.sourceforge.net/midiconverter.html
So connect your guitar to both rakarrack JACK inputs, enable the MIDI converter and connect for example ZynAddSubFX to rakarrack's JACK MIDI MC out port.
guitarix as from version 0.27.x comes with the GxTuner LV2 plugin that can convert audio to MIDI too. Load the plugin in an LV2 host that has MIDI out, ie. Qtractor. When using Qtractor insert the plugin into an audio track. Then connect your guitar to Qtractor and a softsynth to the Qtractor Master ALSA output. Enable the plugin and select SEND MIDI, SINGLE NOTE and FAST DETECTION.
Thanks for the link.
Basslint
Established Member

Post by Basslint »

There are many proprietary programs which do it already - Melodyne is a popular one. Sure, a software-only approach will never beat a hexaphonic pickup because it requires extra processing, but it might be good enough for sequencing on most computers at least.

I hope someone will contribute a polyphonic pitch tracker to aubio someday. The algorithms are out there on scientific journals I think, so it's only matter of time before someone with enough skills in both DSP and programming tries their hand at it. And aubio is the right project for it because:

1) It's quite popular and used in academia, so it will be easier to find contributors
2) It's an audio labeling library, more appropriate than guitar-specific programs (although a program like guitarix might fork the algorithm to add some specific things which take into account the guitar's timbre to speed up processing)

I am not a great programmer (and my experience with aubio/LV2 development is abysmal) but if someone knows how to implement it but can't code, please send me a PM and I'll see if I can help implement it.
The community of believers was of one heart and mind, and no one claimed that any of his possessions was his own, but they had everything in common. [Acts 4:32]

Please donate time (even bug reports) or money to libre software 🎁

Jam on openSUSE + GeekosDAW!
Basslint
Established Member

Post by Basslint »

Some news - while snooping around Ardour's source code, I found this VAMP plugin which should allow offline polyphonic pitch-tracking.
The community of believers was of one heart and mind, and no one claimed that any of his possessions was his own, but they had everything in common. [Acts 4:32]

Please donate time (even bug reports) or money to libre software 🎁

Jam on openSUSE + GeekosDAW!