Newbie: Need recommendation for distro for running Wine/VST

What other apps and distros do you use to round out your studio?

Moderators: MattKingUSA, khz

johnnyd

Newbie: Need recommendation for distro for running Wine/VST

Post by johnnyd »

Hi,
I need a recommendation for a distro to run Wine/VST.

It should be lightest possible, I don't intend to install DAW and do recordings, it will be only for live/gigs

Anything you can recommend ?
I read here that "AV Linux" is recommended, but also that they support forum was closed, so I'm not how this project will continue.
So maybe some lightweight like Xubuntu/Lubuntu ?
or a more audio oriented "Ubuntu Studio" ?

So many options, hard to know what to start with.

I want something that is aimed at audio performance (minimal latency), I can remove all other stuff.
Thanks for any help,
Si
christobal
Established Member

Re: Newbie: Need recommendation for distro for running Wine/VST

Post by christobal »

Personally, it has worked just fine on most of the distros I have tried (Solus, Manjaro, Debian/Ubuntu based).

I didnt really like Ubuntu Studio personally, general performance was pretty bad on my desktop for some reason.

For general ease of use of the kxstudio repositories I'd go for an Ubuntu flavor, maybe Pop_OS?
Amp: Echolette M40 / NG51S Tape Echo
Strings: Martin D15M, Yamaha FG-180, Alhambra 5P, Yamaha Revstar
milo
Established Member

Post by milo »

AVLinux is still a good choice I think. GMaq didn't give any indication that he was going to stop updating the distro, and there are plenty of AVLinux users who can help answer questions on this forum.

I also agree that Ubuntu (or derivative) + KXStudio is a good choice. Ubuntu Studio has plenty of happy users too.
johnnyd

Post by johnnyd »

Ok, thanks a lot for your help !
AlexTheBassist
Established Member

Post by AlexTheBassist »

For Windows apps, use Windows. For Linux apps, GNU/Linux. Is it that hard to memorize?
Being creative does not imply being lazy, stupid, or illiterate.

Working in Harrison Mixbus and Ardour on KDE Neon + KXStudio.
glowrak guy
Established Member

Post by glowrak guy »

The truth is, wine/reaper have made great progress in the last few years,
and the commercial windows audio software that either won't work in them, or won't allow
purchased products to be registered, is a minority, whose well-programmed competitors
more than make up for. Add on the excellent linvst plugin wrapper,
and basic linux functionality is further extended.

Your dogmatic anti-wine position is fine for you. Be happy.
But it leads to linux musicians being viewed as a reclusive insignificant subset
of the world's music producing community. This is bad for art, bad for education,
and it erodes freedom, promoting a stark servitude to a limited set of computer code.

Commercial linux daw software includes Reaper, Bitwig, Mixbus, Renoise, and Tracktion,
with non-commercial projects also continuing on, and new ones emerging.
Such commercial and free daws, and those who enjoy them, benefit from the widest possible
selection of music software. The linux musicians production environment is growing,
whether you approve of the options, or not.
Be happy anyway.
Linuxmusician01
Established Member

Post by Linuxmusician01 »

johnnyd wrote:Hi,
I need a recommendation for a distro to run Wine/VST.

It should be lightest possible, I don't intend to install DAW and do recordings, it will be only for live/gigs
May I ask why you want to use a Linux computer to run Windows plugins? May it be that you have an old computer that won't run Windows properly anymore? One can run Windows VST's (and yes: there's also something like Linux VST's too) on Linux via Wine (that is via Carla or LinVST). But it is not recommended. If you ask me: doesn't matter which Linux distro you use. They are all the same. But Ubuntu appears to be better supported by Linuxers in general, so I'd start with that one if I were you.

You could also consider to switch to a Linux alternative for said VST. Is it an effect or an instrument? If all fails, use that old Windows computer with Windows on it (instead of Linux) without an internet connection (and don't install new software) because the chances are slim that way that you'll get a virus.