Noteworthy (using wine)

Do you typeset your scores on Linux? Share your thoughts, tips, and tricks here.

Moderators: MattKingUSA, khz

matmc2
Established Member

Noteworthy (using wine)

Post by matmc2 »

Hi there,
I am running Noteworthy 1.70 (demo) on Ubuntu (8.10 and 8.04.1) using wine, since I have got to share some music with windows based people.
When I installed it, the program was running, but there was no sound at all: an installation of TiMIDIty has fixed this issue and now everything is working.
A little caveat: if you have got ubuntu 8.04.1, it seems that Audacity 1.3.4 is not happy to work with TiMIDITY (and with NWC, of course). The solution is quite simple: you upgrade to 1.3.5 (otherwise, you can downgrade...) and everything should be fine!
Have fun!
Matt

------------------------
I wish to say "Merry Xmas" to everyone at LinuxMusicians!
http://www.myspace.com/magentamusicit
Pablo
Established Member

Re: Noteworthy (using wine)

Post by Pablo »

I've also tested Noteworthy Composer and it's OK with wine. Rather than timidity, I use jack and qsynth to playback (and record to a jack-aware recorder).
Cheers
Pablo
studio32

Post by studio32 »

I can only, say, please try to use open source software as much as possible and help to improve it!

That's sounds like a Christmas message of hope isn't it? ;)
Pablo
Established Member

Post by Pablo »

Hi studio32. My father is a Windows user. i'm trying to convince him to migrate to GNU/Linux, which it's not an easy task (not becase of linux, but because of my father's atttitude towards something different from that he is used to). He uses Noteworthy Composer. I've built a 64studio install for him, which runs fine.

I'm searching for notation editors others than NWC, but for the time being at least he knows he can run NWC in Linux (he doesn't but I won't give up).

Cheers. Pablo
studio32

Post by studio32 »

Pablo wrote:Hi studio32. My father is a Windows user. i'm trying to convince him to migrate to GNU/Linux, which it's not an easy task (not becase of linux, but because of my father's atttitude towards something different from that he is used to). He uses Noteworthy Composer. I've built a 64studio install for him, which runs fine.

I'm searching for notation editors others than NWC, but for the time being at least he knows he can run NWC in Linux (he doesn't but I won't give up).

Cheers. Pablo
I understand your point and think you made a good decision... now to the next step... ;)
nathan
Site Admin

Post by nathan »

Thanks for this report. MuseScore has recently fixed several bugs that were critical to what I need to do, so I 'm optimistic that I'll be able to use it exclusively soon.

That being said, Noteworthy might be a good option for my wife especially in the mean time. Looking forward to checking it out!