Finale vs. Sibelius on Linux :(

Do you typeset your scores on Linux? Share your thoughts, tips, and tricks here.

Moderators: MattKingUSA, khz

nathan
Site Admin

Re: Finale vs. Sibelius on Linux :(

Post by nathan »

Frescobaldi appears to have built correctly, however when I try to run it I get an error:

Code: Select all

ImportError: No module named qt
Did you run into this?
studio32

Post by studio32 »

nathan wrote:Frescobaldi appears to have built correctly, however when I try to run it I get an error:

Code: Select all

ImportError: No module named qt
Did you run into this?
Please look at the versions of the packages .
python-sip4 and python-sip4-dev: 4,7,7
python-qt4 and python-qt4-dev: 4.4.3
libqt4-core/gui etc. 4.4.3
python-kde4 and -dev: 4:4.1.3
studio32

Post by studio32 »

>> Is there also a possibility to play midi in a quick way? Like it was
>> > > possible in lilykde in the log?
> > Will be added Very Soon Now (TM).

It is added now in SVN. Install Subversion if not already there and:

svn co http://lilykde.googlecode.com/svn/trunk/frescobaldi
cd frescobaldi
mkdir build
cd build
cmake .. -DCMAKE_INSTALL_PREFIX=$(kde4-config --exec-prefix)
make
sudo make install # or: su -c "make install"

please try: open in Frescobaldi a file with a \midi {} line inside \score { }
block, click the Run LilyPond button and watch the log. There is also a menu
entry LilyPond->Generated Files that has useful actions on the updated files
(PDF, MIDI).

best regards,
Wilbert Berendsen
nathan
Site Admin

Post by nathan »

studio32 wrote:
Please look at the versions of the packages .
python-sip4 and python-sip4-dev: 4,7,7
python-qt4 and python-qt4-dev: 4.4.3
libqt4-core/gui etc. 4.4.3
python-kde4 and -dev: 4:4.1.3
Thanks for reply and suggestion, Studio. All my packages seem to be the versions that you've advised here. Any other ideas?
studio32

Post by studio32 »

Go to the website and ask the dev himself ;)

EDIT:
A problem of Lilypond seems to be the time needed for generating the lilypond file/ midi
I got this tip, which makes this process a matter of a few seconds...
While you are inputting the notes, you can use showLastLength to only engrave the last n bars for checking. That makes it pretty quick. Eg In my present score I have

showLastLength = R1*3/4*6

which only engraves the last six bars of 3/4 time. The piece I'm working on at the moment now takes 23 seconds to build the whole score, but with showLastLength it only takes three seconds to engrave those last six bars.

Nick
If you use the svn Frescobaldi, the midi playback works great :)
penguintiz

Post by penguintiz »

Have you looked at Rosegarden? The notation editor is pretty decent. To get decent looking scores, you need to either use the export to lilypond feature or use "print via Lilpond".
I love its flexibility as a sequencer, notation editor and digital audio recorder.
I am a music educator and I teach composition to middle school general music students on Rosegarden but I have to admit to being a Techie. It is not for the musician that asks someone else to set up the PA for a concert because they don't know how.

Dave
nathan
Site Admin

Post by nathan »

Hi Dave! I have checked into Rosegarden, and it's quite capable as a midi sequencer. I also think that the notation editor is really useful for examining compositions, but even with "print via Lilypond," it just doesn't have the capabilities I need for large-scale or complex scores with advanced articulations, etc.

That's awesome that you're able to use Rosegardin the music education context! :)

MuseScore has recently closed a lot of bugs, and it is working well for me at the moment! They are approaching a new release that will really elevate MuseScore to a new level...it won't be long till we have a full fledged Sibelius replacement for LInux!!

I've also had great success with recent versions of NtEd. While not as full featured as MuseScore yet, it's great for doing lead-sheets, etc, and serves a lightweight "notepad" style app for my laptop.

These two projects are incredibly useful...

Still keeping my eye of Denemo & Frescobaldi, as well...
penguintiz

Post by penguintiz »

Thanks for the tip. I had looked at Musescore a while back when it was less mature and was disappointed. I will check it out again.

Dave
raboof
Established Member

Post by raboof »

nathan wrote:Rosegarden, and it's quite capable as a midi sequencer. I also think that the notation editor is really useful for examining compositions, but even with "print via Lilypond," it just doesn't have the capabilities I need for large-scale or complex scores with advanced articulations, etc.
Out of curiosity, what kind of features are you looking for that aren't provided by Rosegarden?
nathan
Site Admin

Post by nathan »

raboof wrote:Out of curiosity, what kind of features are you looking for that aren't provided by Rosegarden?
Mostly score layout/symbol stuff...tremolo symbols for the strings, for instance, and staff groupings for full orchestra. Brackets and braces are a must! Rosegarden doesn't really handle transposing instruments. In Rosegarden, it also doesn't seem possible to force page or line breaks. Certain symbols for advanced sounds like glissadi and arppegiated chords aren't available. Of course, you can tweak the Lily output, but Rosegarden just isn't really a WYSIWYG editor. But hey, that's okay! It's a sequencer with some notation ability. Every now and then I'll use it peak at a midi file to see the music in notation, and the notation editor also comes in handy for quickly printing a simple part from MIDI.