Finale 2010 on wine on KUBUNTU 10.10

Do you typeset your scores on Linux? Share your thoughts, tips, and tricks here.

Moderators: MattKingUSA, khz

PGS
Established Member

Finale 2010 on wine on KUBUNTU 10.10

Post by PGS »

Hello guys I've successfully installed Finale 2010 through wine. The Human Playback won't work and I get an error when loading Finale, but I'm able to write and edit by playing through vst (that's what I use anyways...). It's a pitty Linux doesn't have a native competitive program for FInale and Sibelius as I'm sure many musicians would want that. I tried all notation editors for linux but they are just too amateur for composition needs. I also started using ardour for the recording stuff, so I've officially migrated to linux now. I'm new to the whole Linux experience, but I think there's potential there for the pro-musician of the future. What is basically needed is a native professional notation editor, or a Linux release of the industry standards (finale and SIbelius) and a good multi track recording software. I hope ardour can do the trick.
nathan
Site Admin

Re: Finale 2010 on wine on KUBUNTU 10.10

Post by nathan »

Have you tried MuseScore? It it nearly there. I completely my graduate work in composition with it. Last time I tried FInale on Linux it was pretty buggy. Let us know if it continue to work well for you.
PGS
Established Member

Post by PGS »

Hello Nathan,
From the little experience I've had with linux notation software the only one that seems like a real alternative is Muse Score. I think they've done a serious job and I really hope they keep up the effort, although I know how hard it is to create a competitive product for a market standard when you get nothing from it. Rosegarden had a decent note editor and it's overall a very nice application, but I think Muse Score will soon be competitive enough for Finale and Sibelius.
Judging on your experience, can someone write equally fast in Muse Score as someone would input notes by simply using the keyboard in finale or sibelius? The sound are acceptable but it would be nice if Muse Score had a more realistic engine, because that's where the money goes on the new versions of these problems.
I too study composition (I already have degrees in Harmony, Counterpoint and Fugue) so I need a very versatile application. A very important think is how Muse Score compares to the 20th century notation abilities in comparison to the other market standards.
Finale plays ok in my system but I've been having problems with certain fonts that don't appear on the score. Composer's name, some expression commands etc. I don't know how this can be fixed.
nathan
Site Admin

Post by nathan »

I've had similar issue with Finale. As far as special or 20th century notation goes, MuseScore does need a bit a of work to do some things like different time signatures on simultaneous staves, etc. Some special symbols are absent as well. Overall it's pretty good. The playback engine is okay, but not super realistic. You can get really speedy with note entry, though!