Sibelius to LilyPond

Do you typeset your scores on Linux? Share your thoughts, tips, and tricks here.

Moderators: MattKingUSA, khz

sciurius
Established Member

Sibelius to LilyPond

Post by sciurius »

For those who may be interested...

There are currently two active projects working on conversion of Sibelius scores to LilyPond.
Kirill A. Sidorov has constructed a Sibelius plug-in that exports the score to an external document. An associated Ruby program processes the exported document and produces a nice LilyPond score. Many Sibelius features are supported, although lyrics do not yet work.
Kirill is currently working on his thesis and will resume the sib2ly project in the near future.
Kirill can be reached at <sidosoft@yandex.ru>.

L. Peter Deutsch (yes, mr. GhostScript) is working on a similar project. It includes a Sibelius plug-in for exporting the score and a Python program for postprocessing. This project is still in its infancy but very promising.
Peter can be reached at <sibxml@major2nd.com>.

It is interesting to notice that both Kirill and Peter decided not to use MusicXML for export for reasons they explain in the project documentation.
drancope
Established Member

Re: Sibelius to LilyPond

Post by drancope »

Almost great news.
I had to copy by hand a small fragment to insert it into a doc I was writting.
Since then, I won't use Sibelius again, but I know other people will do. The plugin comes here,
if somebody wants to give us their parts or music to use or modify. I'll take a look.
oNNogitaar
Established Member

Re: Sibelius to LilyPond

Post by oNNogitaar »

:D that is very promising news. I have tons of arrangements in Sibelius and even Finale which I would love to be able to convert if I need them again...
So, Lillypond would be a better bet for me than Musescore I am using now?