Many notation editors

Do you typeset your scores on Linux? Share your thoughts, tips, and tricks here.

Moderators: MattKingUSA, khz

Which notation editor do you use most?

NtEd
15%
Mscore
10%
Rosegarden
40%
denemo
5%
Lilypond
25%
Finale (using wine hq)
5%
Canorus
No votes
ABC
No votes
musiXteX
No votes

Total votes: 20

nils
Established Member

Re: Many notation editors

Post by nils »

Dear Notationusers,

please help us, Denemo, to be a better application, no matter if you use it or not. I've put a vote on http://www.denemo.org , free for anonymous users, to know what users want most as improvement.

If you can think of anything else please let me now here or directly in the wishlist @ http://www.denemo.org

Nils Gey
Denemo PR
fejalish
Established Member

Post by fejalish »

Saw the poll and signed up just so I could vote. ;-)

Which I cast for Rosegarden, but I typically also export to Lilypond and tweak there. Rosegarden often fudges up some of my weirder notations when I export to ly. But it's a small bother for me since I can do either/or. (FWITW, I used Noteworthy on PC before switching to Ubuntu.)
alex stone
Established Member

Post by alex stone »

Rosegarden and Mscore here, but i do write most of my work on parchment first. I have NTed, Canorus, etc, and i'd dearly like to see Denemo go forward as a strong and powerful engraving tool. (I'm still to learn how to write lilypond native.)

I've owned, and have gathering dust, most of the commercial offerings, but the one that gave me the best journey for efficient and fast workflow, day in, day out, was Igor Engraver. A mighty (imho) engraver that was fast to use, and with a massive range of keystroke and mouse driven options to tweak a playback to near recording standard.

I still miss it, although i'm currently resurrecting an ancient PC box to run just IG.

I've signed up for Denemo too, and offer my enthusiastic encouragement to the devs. I also respectfully suggest you take a look at IG, for additional reference material in relation to workflow. I don't think you'll be disappointed.

I would urge the Denemo team not to forget us keystrokers, for whom using a mouse for pretty well anything is restrictive, slow, and a digital boat anchor around the throat of fast and efficient workflow. :)

Alex Stone.
nils
Established Member

Post by nils »

I would urge the Denemo team not to forget us keystrokers, for whom using a mouse for pretty well anything is restrictive, slow, and a digital boat anchor around the throat of fast and efficient workflow.
The philosophy of Denemo is to use the Keyboard. But anyway, the Shortcut and Keymappingsystem is already highly developed:
You can use any combination of inputs to use any combination of denemo-functions and scripts. For example Alt+2, Alt+LeftMouse, Strg+Alt+Shift+F5, Alt+C4 (Midi keyboard), sustain-pedal+LeftMouse+ShoutInMicrofon
and so on...
alex stone
Established Member

Post by alex stone »

NilsGey wrote:
I would urge the Denemo team not to forget us keystrokers, for whom using a mouse for pretty well anything is restrictive, slow, and a digital boat anchor around the throat of fast and efficient workflow.
The philosophy of Denemo is to use the Keyboard. But anyway, the Shortcut and Keymappingsystem is already highly developed:
You can use any combination of inputs to use any combination of denemo-functions and scripts. For example Alt+2, Alt+LeftMouse, Strg+Alt+Shift+F5, Alt+C4 (Midi keyboard), sustain-pedal+LeftMouse+ShoutInMicrofon
and so on...

Thanks for the heads up, Nils.

I'm experimenting with it now.
This opens up many options to use for more efficient workflow....

Alex.